It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats everybodies favourite music genre?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I grew up on Metallica, I saw them in 1997 and I've got my tickets for January when they come back to the land down under.

I love Hard Heavy Berzeerk Metal. None more berzeerk than Strapping Young Lad.

Bands I've seen play live:
Metallica
Megadeth
Sepultura
Strapping Young Lad
SoulFly
Slayer
Smashing Pumpkins (They sucked that night)
PearlJam
Fear Factory
(some other gay bands not worth mentioning)

I like softer stuff aswell like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and others who poses real musical talent.

Mr. Bungle is cool, gotta love that weird stuff.

Anyways thats me.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Mainly death and grundge metalin the form of

Mortician(death metal)
EyeHateGod(Grundge i guess)
Anal Cvunt(dunno what genre they are)

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Left Coast Punk all the way!

NOFX
Dead Kennedys
Guttermouth
Etc.....

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 05:32 AM
link   
My range of music taste is varied.. Not varied in other genres... But varied in the "rock" genre. Some of my favourite bands are -

Metallica
Megadeth
Anthrax
Guns N Roses
AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Alice Cooper

Then I like a lot of american alternative rock bands (Funny though, as I live in the UK) Bands like -

Matchbox 20
Third Eye Blind
3 Doors Down
Eve 6
American Hi-Fi

I don't like a lot of 'new rock/metal' although there are exceptions -

Nickelback
The Darkness
Disturbed

Oh, also I like some other 'older' bands I don't know if anyone else likes here - Dire Straits, Status Quo, Queen, Pink Floyd and loads others.

Well there you have it... A short summary of my music taste

I like the sound of StationsCreation music taste... Lots of really good bands on that list.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I like soca, calypso, cadance, zouk, kompa, bouyon, jamback soca, bailable, reggae roots, dancehall, hip hop, gangsta rap, soul, r&b, some alt rock, salsa, merengue... That's about it...

The first eight genres I mentioned are from the caribbean... Salsa (Cuba) and merengue (Dominican Republic) also orginated in the caribbean. And those two have also gone mainstream.

I might as well mention the islands were these genres come from.

Soca & Calypso- Trinidad & Tobago, but played widly across all of the english speaking caribbean islands and every island has their own style. Personally I like the Soca more from the northern caribbean area. (St Maarten, U.S. & British Virgin Islands, St Eustatius, Dominica and Anguilla) Soca from my island (Aruba) is heavily influenced by these islands. Soca is also very popular in places such as Toronto and London. Steel Pan and Steel Bands originated with calypso.

Bands & Singers : The Mighty Sparrow, Arrow, David Rudder, Blue Boy, Swallow, Kitchener, Shadow, Crazy, Ronnie Macintosh, Winston Soso, Scrunter, Rupee, TC, Allison Hinds, Dextra, X-Tatic, Tall Pree, Hartatak, Jam Band, Better Band, Youthwaves, King Beau Beau, Byron Lee and the Dragonairies, King T-Mo, Mighty Greg, X- plosion band, Impact Band, Burning Flames, OSHA, Atlantik, Wck, Square One, Krosfyah, Climax (Aruba), Oreo (Aruba), Mac 10 (Aruba), Le Groove (Aruba), NBO (Aruba), Riddim Band (Aruba & The Netherlands) and others too numerous to mention.

Some soca websites:
www.socanews.com...
www.toronto-lime.net...
caribzones.com...
www.fetenet.com...
www.islandmix.com...

Cadance (closely related to soca and zouk) - Mainly from the northern caribbean islands I just mentioned and also Trinidad &Tobago, Barbados, Grenada and St Vincent.

Bands: Rolling Tones, Burning Flames, Hartatak, Impact Band, Burning FlamesOnyan, Square One, Wck, Atlantik, Krosfyah, TC, Allison Hinds, Dextra, Kevin Lyttle, Super P, Le Groove (Aruba), MAc 10 (Aruba), Oreo (Aruba), Climax (Aruba), NBO (Aruba)
---------------------------
Zouk - Martinique, Guadeloupe, French St Martin, St Barts, St Kitts, France and strangely enough, the Cape Verde Islands off the coast of Africa (there it's sung in portuguese).
Very sweet and romantic songs.

Bands & Singers: Zouk Look, KAssav, Leila Chicot, Slai, Kaysha, Guy Bordey, Nichols, Tanya St Val, Ayenn etc...

Here is a zouk website: www.zoukarchive.com...
------------------------------------

Bailable (akak ritmo combina)- Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and the Netherlands.
(sung in papiamento, the main spoken language on the three islands). Close in rhytm to zouk, merengue, kompa and cadance... And like zouk, amazingly sweet and romantic to dance with a girl...Especially the slower songs.

Bands: Magic Sound, Orquesta Vibes, Orquesta Cache, GIO Fuertissimo, Doble R SSS, Rizam (now defunct), Tune, Orquesta Pegasaya, Orquesta Q-Sign, No Game, Sound & More (Aruba), Climax (Aruba), Claudius Phillips & Oreo (Aruba), Dream (Aruba), Touche (Aruba), Le Groove (Aruba), Mac 10 (Aruba), NBO (Aruba), Ryo (Aruba), Quasi (Aruba), Smooth (Aruba)

Here is a link to Arubian radio stations (all streaming media) where you can here this genre often (you won't understand what they're saying though) :
www.tvradioworld.com...

www.orquesta-vibes.com...
www.nosmagicsound.com...
www.tunestretkonstant.com...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Reggae and Dancehall (closely tied to the Rastafari religion)- Jamaica (other islands often make their own style of dancehall). Reggae is the original older form, dancehall began from speeding up and mixing reggae.
Hip hop and r&b artists are often singing dancehall these days ( e.g. R Kelly, Busta Rhymes, Beyonce, etc...)

Bands & Singers: Bob Marley & The Wailers (includes Peter Tosh), Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers, Kymani Marley, Julian Marley & the other Marley children, Rita Marley (Bob's widow), Alpha Blondy, Steel Pulse, UB40, Morgan Heritage, Lucky Dube, Capleton, Red Rat, Shaggy, Beenie Man, Buju Banton, Cleopatra, Super Cat, Sean Paul, Yellow Man, Chaka Demus & Pliers, Wayne Wonder, Honeypot (Aruba), Basic One (Aruba), The Creators (Aruba), Time Bandits (Aruba), Double Impact (Aruba)

www.reggae.com...
www.bobmarley.com... (the website of the legend himself!!!)
www.dancehallreggae.com...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Kompa (related to zouk)- Haiti.
Santana has a kompa song that was played on the last superbowl.

Bands: Zenglen, Tabou Kombo, Haitian Troubadours, Wyclef Jean (yeah the hip hop artist).

www.taboucombo.com...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Jam Back soca - Northern caribbean Islands and Aruba.
Closely related to soca, but with a faster, skippier rhytm. During carnival time I've seen people (mostly young boys) get crazy with these types of songs (they forget where they were and they practically go in a trance and lose all touch with reality. Especially with these three songs, China Waya, Monkey Jam and Box down Satan). China Waya and Monkey Jam were made by a local rap group called Basic One. They have recently relocated to Holland. I know them personally.

Bands: WCK, X-Plosion Band, Rolling Tones, First Serenade Band, NBO (Aruba), Basic One (Aruba), Dushi Band (Aruba), Double Impact (formely half of Basic One, Aruba)

www.basic-one.com...
www.cakafete.com...
www.sensay.com...
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bouyon - Dominica.
Very closely related to jamback soca, half English, half French. Sweet rhytm.

Bouyon bands are WCK, First Serenade Band.

www.cakafete.com...
www.sensay.com...
-------------------------------------------------------------

Salsa - Cuba (originally), Puerto Rico, Miami, Dominican Republic, Aruba, Curacao, Venezuela, Colombia & rest of Latin Americaetc...
There even was a Japenese band that played flawless salsa years ago (I think it was "The New York connection")

Bands & Artists: Celia Cruz, Cuban All Stars, Tito Puente, Gloria Estefan, Santana, DLG, La India, Marc Anthony, J LO, Grupo Niche, Orquesta Guayacan, GIo fuertissimo, Doble R SSS, The New York connection, Ryo (Aruba), Oreo (Aruba), Solo Banda Show (Aruba), Climax (Aruba)

www.salsaartists.com...
www.salsaymerengue.com...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Merengue - Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Aruba, Curcacao, Venezuela, Mexico & the rest of Latin America etc...

Bands & Artists: Juan Luis Guerra y su 440, Wilfrido Vargas, Fulanito, Sergio Vargas, Las Chicas del Can, Elvis Crespo, Olga Tanon, Thalia, GIo fuertissimo, Doble R SSS, Orquesta Vibes, Sound & More (Aruba), DREAM(Aruba), Ryo (Aruba), Quasi (Aruba), Climax (Aruba)

www.merengueartists.com...
www.latinpopartists.com...
--------------------------------------------
-------------

Only reggae, dancehall, salsa & merengue are mainstream so far...

Soca will be in the near future. And zouk is popular in France. It's sung mainly in French, sometimes in English (then they call it cadance) but there is a new subgenre growing: zouk/r&b...

The best reason to like these genres (especially soca, cadance, zouk, kompa and bailable and sometimes merengue) is that you can dance close with your lady, with her in your arms (and grind if you want)...
But I've seen couples dance these beautifully including myself.

Dancehall is mega grindin also...

Can't see myself doing that with heavy metal though...

And for those alternative rock lovers... Check out these three bands:

Intwine
Green Lizard
Why George

Three excellent rock bands. All three for the majority of the musicians Arubian. They're becoming very popular in Europe. I know a few of them personally.

posted on Oct, 30 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Indeed. And don't forget Fantomas(if you like Mr Bungle and have not heard Fantomas, you should). Tomahawn is also great. Mike Pattons vocabulary madness is highly appreciated, hehe.

Anal #(dunno what genre they are)

I would say Grindcore

Hehe, TheBandit795, you're even worse than me when it comes to talking about your taste in music. I usualy go on for hours when im talking about my favourite music. Nice to see.

Well, im going to keep it simple. And the only way I can do that is to tell you all my one absolute favourite genre. Black Metal.

As I have stated before, im into the first wave of Norwegian Black Metal that emerged with Darkthrone, Mayhem, Burzum and Immortal(r.i.p) in the early 90's, and of course all the great band that followed... both Norwegian and foreign.

Immortal(r.i.p) are basicly my nighbors and is one of my absolute favourite band, so my feelings are strong for them. Other favourites in the Black Metal genre are: Darkthrone, Burzum, Abruptum, Nargaroth, Leviathan, Mayhem, Satyricon, Emperor, T�ke, Gorgoroth, Kvist, Isvind and Enslaved.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I love my music. And I hope to see real caribbean music become more popular instead of that westernized touristy sh!t in the media.

They think we're either feeling hot hot hot, or going to the kokomo or deeeoooing all day...

:bash::bnghd:

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I am totally punk...hell yeah.

Distillers, Brodie, Bad Religion, NOFX, MXPX, Goldfinger, Casualitys, Black Flag, Anti Flag, Allister, DropKick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Rancid, and ZEBRAHEAD!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:28 PM
link   
damn I like way too much music.

techno type music
Aphex Twin
Astral Projection
Synthetic Dream Foundation
Underworld
Spacemen
some ATB
Detroit City Grand Poobahs
Cleo
Cassius
godkomplex
chemical Brothers
crystal method
Da Hool
Aphrodite
Motorbass
so many more lol

hmmm
rap

kottonmouth kings
Bone
Dre
Snoop
Tupac
Biggie
Eminem
50 cent
South Park Mexican
Wu Tang
Young Gunz
Mos Def
Cash Money
cannabis
Busta Rhymes (like old busta the best)
Royce Da Five Nine

my mind going blank sure there are more

"rock"

Alice in Chains
Nin
Tool
old Manson
Pitch Shifter (they were #ing nuts havent heard anything bout them in years 1 hit wonders?)
Filter (old)
Cibo Matto
Rage
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Mudvayne
Static X
Sponge
Folk Implosion
Sneaker Pimps
Lunatic Candy creep
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Rammstein
Powerman 5k
Soulfly
Bloodhound Gang
Korn
Sevendust

I am sure I am leaving out a lot but all my weak mind can come with atm off hand

no country though :p

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Also I'd like to add Plastina Mosh, they are a crazy group, think they are from Mexico?

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I like a little bit of everything- except country. Gahhhh.

my favorite music video at the moment is Are You Happy Now by Michelle Branch.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I pretty much like all music, but there are four kinds I just can get enough of. and those would be:

• Rap
  • Blues
  • Funk
  • Jazz

I also like some heavy metal really well.

BTW...I love to downold underground eminem and I pretty much love anything produced by shady/aftermath

[Edited on 11-1-2003 by theshadowknows]

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I posted this on another thread...but it still stands..

Rage Against The Machine
50 Cent
Chemical Brothers
Cypress Hill
Outkast
Rush
Jethro Tull
Led Zepplin
Crystal Method
Pearl Jam (first 3 albums..after that..they suck)
White Zombie/Rob Zombie
Yellowman
Rev. Horton Heat
NIN
Ministry
Control Machete

Most of the bad 80's songs too....

...the list is long...I love most everything though...even country and classical.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a lot of great tastes here.

I use to really like punk in jr high, Fugazi, Black flag, Bad Religion, Rancid, NoFX.

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yeah. Fugazi is great, love their music

posted on Nov, 1 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I forgot Mos Def...

And Control Machete, haven't heard anything from them in a looooong time. "Mirame
a los ojos ver�s lo que soy!!!"

And Korn's music is sweet..

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Instrumentals, especially soundtracks to films....

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 03:16 PM
link   
[Edited on 5-3-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by StationsCreation
I like softer stuff aswell like Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and others who poses real musical talent.

u seem to be confused, u say wierd stuff with mr bungle, yet not pink floyd? have u listened to pink floyd beyond dark side of the moon and the wall? listen to ummagumma and atom heart mother then tell me if u think mr bungle is wierd still

i love pink floyd, system of a down, the beatles, john lennon, nirvana, dream theater, anything that i find good musically and/or lyrically really, i like some technoish stuff, but only enigma really lol

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   
stations creation!!

you rock man!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join