It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tar Baby bites Mitt Romney

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It is amazing to me that other people can demonstrate their criticism over their particular issues, but I am not allowed to express my contempt lest I be insulted for my principles. So be it. Another double standard.

In the scheme of things, you're right, dg. This issue is not that imporant. But all I am doing is presenting another side of the issue. I should be able to do so without being chided for it.

But who am I kidding? I am dealing with a bunch of "cracker-crats" who are demonstrating they are unrepentant about considering the feelings of their fellow human beings.

Then again, there are a bunch of snack food and bakery companies appropriating the use of "cracker" and making a whole lot of money off of their usage of the term. Ritz and Nabisco are big offenders in this area, by the way.

Cracker companies have gotten royalties hand over fist. So much so, that the money Ms. Morrison makes pales in comparison in her use of tar baby, despite the fact that she's black and consciously understands the negative connotations of the word, "tar baby". She even explores it in her novel.

Maybe those who are making money from the use of "cracker" in the snack food and baking industry should also give back their money. To put one more card on the table, why doesn't comedian Jeff Foxworthy give up all his money for his particular brand of humor? You could boycott his performances because he exposes and makes fun of the indignities of white people.

Heck, all of you probably eat crackers, do you not?

With my tea, I prefer scones instead of crackers myself.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Ceci, i'm not trying to offend you. I was hoping you'd join me in realizing that life is life and we are not going to change it.

Maybe its my lack of understanding of the English language that things slide by me and nothing much offends me. As far as crackers...i have no idea what the "other" meaning of this is...see? I think crackers is something you eat. Is that suppossed to be offensive?
I'm being totally honest with you here.

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally quoted by dgtempe
Ceci, i'm not trying to offend you. I was hoping you'd join me in realizing that life is life and we are not going to change it.

You are not offending me. For the most part, I do realize that life is life. But I am putting an alternative reading of how I view this matter. That is all.

And what I am saying is that people ought to consider that there are other connotations of the term tar baby and people are offended by its use. They should also ponder that as well when making an assessment of deriding "political correctness".

I also am trying to say that others should not be offended by the usage of terms derogatory to them if they have no compunction about implementing the term "tar baby".

Maybe its my lack of understanding of the English language that things slide by me and nothing much offends me. As far as crackers...i have no idea what the "other" meaning of this is...see? I think crackers is something you eat. Is that suppossed to be offensive?
I'm being totally honest with you here.

For the most part, dg, it is something that you eat. But yes, cracker is considered as offensive to whites as some would think "tar baby" is.

But the gauntlet has been thrown. I've taken it up for this thread.

I'm learning about the double standard of words especially when what will be considered offensive or not.

And again, I am just demonstrating that if people don't care about "tar baby" and will use it, then it is fair to employ any offensive term. And if they are offended by it, they should just sweep their concerns under the rug and move on. Issues like these ought not to be discussed anymore. We'll just insult each other without remorse and pat ourselves on the back.

That is what this world is getting to.

So, why should I care if people consider "cracker" an offensive term if the posters here are so willing to be apologists for the use of "tar baby" and not care about the feelings of African-Americans?

Politeness and manners do not count anymore, so put the cards on the table instead of using one term to express feelings about race relations and racism.

It doesn't make any of these terms better. It only demonstrates how this society lacks empathy and compassion for others.

But one must not forget, those using "tiredness" about race and racism are not that beleaguered if they continually complain about issues such as this one. It only shows that those who express tiredness about this subject matter fully embrace their victimhood more than anyone else.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
I am dealing with a bunch of "cracker-crats"

That's a term with just one meaning. Racist. And since you believe it to be
true then you are just a racist. The word cracker has many meanings and no
one I know of flips out when a commercial comes on advertising crackers. We
understand the different meanings of the word. So should black people understand the different meanings to the term tar baby. It's just simple common
sense. Deal with it.

who are demonstrating they are unrepentant about considering the feelings of their fellow human beings.

No. We are demonstrating that the term 'Tar baby' has MANY meanings. We are
demonstrating that just because some REFUSE to understand that doesn't mean
that the entire english language should be changed. The term is used in a
perfectly innocent manner and shouldn't have to be dumped.

You don't dumb down an entire country just because a few REFUSE to understand
that a specific term has more than one meaning. If people are offended because
of the innocent use of that term then that's their problem. They need to educate
themselves .. not bring the rest of the country down to their uneducated level.

[edit on 8/5/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Please. And tar baby isn't racist? It goes to show you that your line of logic can only take you so far.

But nevertheless, if you think "cracker-crat" is racist, don't feel badly when others use it around you. Your feelings won't be hurt.

And since you don't think "tar baby" causes any harm. I don't think "cracker-crat" causes any harm.

So, no one's being racist here. Just be warned if "cracker-crat" catches on like "tar baby". Don't run like a chicken with its head cut off and start a thread screaming about race.

[edit on 5-8-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   

cracker is considered as offensive to whites as some would think "tar baby" is.

I find the term 'cracker' to be rather commical. When it is expressed by racist
black people against whites ... it makes me
It's a pathetic and powerless
word. Frankly I doubt many white people know the word cracker can be used in
a racist manner and those that do ... don't care.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yes, I'm sure you would know bigotry since you practice it yourself everytime you post something about Black people.

But you're just a good old "cracker-crat" expressing herself, aren't you? And since we're laughing about the word "cracker-crat", we can just laugh together.

You're right. "Cracker-crat" is very funny indeed.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   

And tar baby isn't racist?

TRY to get this through your head Ceci. It has been said dozens of times to you.

Tar baby has MANY meanings. When it is used as Tony Snow and Mitt Romney
said then it was depicting something totally non racist. In these two instances
it definately was not a racist statement.

It goes to show you that your line of logic can only take you so far.

With you? Yes. Logic doesn't work. Educating you to the FACT that the term
tar baby has many meanings doesn't work. You refuse to be educated.
So you are right ... logic can only take us so far when it comes to you.

if you think "cracker-crat" is racist,

Cracker-crat has only one meaning and when used towards people it is racist.

don't feel badly when others use it around you.

I don't care if people use it. It's a comical term to me. Sounds silly. If people
use the term cracker-crat towards me it just means they are racist idiots.

since you don't think "tar baby" causes any harm.
I don't think "cracker-crat" causes any harm.

That's because you continue to fail to understand that 'tar baby' has many
meanings and the people who used them didn't use the racist term. And they
didn't throw the term AT anyone in a racist manner.

don't run like a chicken with its head cut off and start a thread screaming about race.

Nope. That's YOUR tiresome shtick.

[edit on 8/5/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   

I'm sure you would know bigotry since you practice it yourself everytime you post about Black people.

Oh yes ... there we go. Ceci loses in a discussion and so she throws in the 'you
are an anti-black bigot'. *yawn* Seriously .. any discussion trying to educate
you is just turning into a waste of bandwidth and oxygen and time. How sad.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well hell, so does "cracker-crat". "Cracker-crat" has many meanings. You didn't start its etymology and you sure didn't write a dictionary. So you don't truly know the orgins of the word or its meanings.

"Cracker-crat" is not a racist term just like it is said for tar baby. Just assume I am using another one of those connotations and call it a day.

Now we're both even.

I never called you a bigot. You've demonstrated your bigotry all by yourself.

So, poor Flyerfan has to resort to taunting in order to save her little, victimized pride. Cry me a river.

Go and feign tiredness now about race-relations. That is what you "cracker-crats" do when you're up a creek, no?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

"Cracker-crat" is not a racist term.

It is not racist to discuss the term. It is racist to throw it at someone in a racial
manner. The term has only one meaning. Tar baby has many.
This is really very simple to understand.

Repeating these facts over and over on thread after thread to you doesn't seem
to be sinking in. But it does seem to be wasting bandwidth.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Really? Believe me, I do know about "tar baby" and its connotations. And I know full well about "intent". But by the reasoning of yourself and others on this board, "intent" is thrown out the window unless you stand on the pedistal of victimhood complaining about words you can or cannot say.

However, Black people do know about the racist intent and connotations of "tar baby". And that, you cannot erase away. It's been written in letters, books and articles.

This has been explained a lot of times in many ways. But you don't get it. So, carpe diem.

Conscience has been thrown out the window. Greg Palast's words have been saved just like Joel Chandler Harris' worthless, nonsensical stories. After all, Mr. Harris is not Kafka.

What's good for "tar baby" is also good for "cracker-crat".

After all, my intent was not racist since no one is hurt or offended by "cracker-crat". It's just another name for the Republican Party. Not to mention, an apt description too.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Please, raise your hands if anyone remembers George Jefferson referring to white people as "Honkeys"

Anyone?

That was a favorite show of mine and i dont know one white person who was offended by it

Oh please, you make your own life whatever you want it to be...I, for one, refuse to be offended by silly terms.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   

But by the reasoning of yourself and others on this board, "intent" is thrown out the window.

No Ceci.
*sigh* Which INTENENDED meaning of the term 'Tar Baby' is
what this is all about. There are many meanings. The intent is shown by the
content of the sentence used.

Black people do know about the racist intent and connotations of "tar baby".

So you are saying that black people are too stupid to understand the multiple
meanings of the term? That when a white person uses the term it can only possibly
have one meaning ... racist? Gee ... I give black people, as a whole, more credit
of understanding than that ... and obviously more credit then you do.

Hey Ceci .. you don't speak for all black people. I'm very sure that black
black people in general ARE smart enough to understand that the term has many
meanings and that when used in the context of those sentences spoken by Tony
Snow and Mitt Romney, it wasn't racist at all.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
No, I'm not saying that Black people don't know about all the connotations. We indeed do. Tar baby has a long and embittered history, one as figurative speech and the other as a racist slur. But I am saying that the people who use tar baby don't care about the racist connotation and do not have a conscience when saying it.

About giving Black people far more credit than I, believe me when I say this: you don't.

By your very demeanor and words, you don't care. You also don't understand a thing about Black people at all. That is demonstrated by your posts. All other people have to do is read them. You depict the least empathy about the history, character and intelligence about us. You just let your misunderstanding about the Black culture and history fly out of your mouth. You have no self-respect to even stop yourself and question why.

Explaining this is meaningless to you and always will be. You always project your prejudice and arrogance onto others, belittling the very notion of education by your simple, continuous touting of it. To me, that is even a greater shame than your mundane accusations about what "Black people do and don't" and what "Black people think and don't."

Btw, I never said I spoke for all Black people. That's another of your assumptions in a long list of assumptions you make about me. So be it.

Dg, you are right. In the end after our exchange, I think that this is really silly business. Tar baby is offensive, but we should forget it. After all, we're getting to the point that terms are meaningless anyway, no matter who it hurts.

So, now I will concede and be the better person. You're right. People don't learn. And it is best to let others have "tar baby" since they are stuck to this antiquated term and will fight for the right to use it no matter what.

I'm not going to disrespect other people to prove my principles. And as much as it pained me to use "cracker-crat" as an example, trying to explain to people about the negative terminology of tar baby goes in one ear and out the other just the same.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Tell you what. I want any one of you who thinks it matters, to go ahead and call me cracker. Or cracker-crat, or honkey. Maybe if you get it out of your system, it will stop being this big bad monster hiding under your bed.

So go ahead, give it your best shot. But if you go against the T&C, it's not my fault. I'm just sayin', if you're still at that stage, then I feel sorry for you. But I won't be hurt if you resort to taking your victim anger out on me.

Call me anything you want. Just don't call me late for supper!
Damn, I'm funny!

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Why, what do you mean? "Cracker" is more offensive than "tar baby"? Perish the thought. "Cracker-crat" is even worse? They're pretty much the same. But, they both have benign meanings. And if people don't care about using tar baby, why shouldn't the rest of us care about using "cracker-crat"?

You're the original victim with your lines of threads attacking Black politicians. You are the epitome of victimhood with threads like this.

And gee. You might have even violated the T and C guidelines with your title: "Tar Baby bites Mitt Romney".

You think that title might have been a little bit overboard in its offensiveness?

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
.........is a HONKEY

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   

You never did answer. Are you a victim or a racist?

Whatever makes you feel better.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I have no feelings about it. In the scheme of things, you have pretty much demonstrated your victimhood by the continuous whining that you do. Continue to do so. It gives me a lot of laughs akin to watching re-runs of "Archie Bunker".

The sad thing is when he was alive, Carroll O'Connor had qualms about his portrayal of Archie Bunker.

You, however, do not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join