It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diebold Voting Machine Designed for Vote Tampering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
openvotingfoundation.org...

Apparently, with the flip of a single switch, the machine can run an entirely different set of commands and functions than the ones certified. This switch (located inside the machine) can enable boot from EPROM, or from Flash.

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA -- “This may be the worst security flaw we have seen in touch screen voting machines,” says Open Voting Foundation president, Alan Dechert. Upon examining the inner workings of one of the most popular paperless touch screen voting machines used in public elections in the United States, it has been determined that with the flip of a single switch inside, the machine can behave in a completely different manner compared to the tested and certified version.

“Diebold has made the testing and certification process practically irrelevant,” according to Dechert. “If you have access to these machines and you want to rig an election, anything is possible with the Diebold TS -- and it could be done without leaving a trace. All you need is a screwdriver.” This model does not produce a voter verified paper trail so there is no way to check if the voter’s choices are accurately reflected in the tabulation.

So there you have it. The machine was designed for voting fraud.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:29 PM
link   
i bet version 1.0 was the reason bush made it into office. This is just version 2 of the conspiracy machines

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Bananas anyone?

See also: Our Banana Republic

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Its amazing that peices of paper are more 'secure' than this technology.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Well, I don't know that paper is secure, really. Election fraud has been around as long as there have been elections.

Vote tampering has just got to the 21st century is how I see it.
And, the folks in Florida and the rest of this nation practically begged to get rid of paper ballots after the 2000 election.
Makes one wonder if the purpose of the hanging chad incident was to make us WANT electronic voting.

I've often said things happen to make us WANT to get rid of our freedoms and/or way of life. :shk:

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You wonder well, DTOM.

I've dealt with Diebold software and hardware in the past, and the equipment is so poorly designed and the software is so porous that they almost have to be doing it on purpose. They came up with patch after patch for their register system to the point where the lines of code just became a nested hodge-podge that Daedalus would have been proud of.

They are good at hiding their tracks, though, so this "switch" is probably just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to backdoor access to these machines.

It gets to the point where you have to think they are either stupid, or they are stealing. I don't think they are stupid. Corrupt, maybe, but not stupid.

top topics

join