It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's "would have", not "would of"...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
That 'idea' one irks me too, except it must be different around the country. In Philly people say "no Idear". Same in New England, but only if the following word begins in a vowel, like:
" I have no Idea rif I'm speaking correctly"
It's like some people donn't know how to seperate vowel sounds when speaking

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
That 'idea' one irks me too, except it must be different around the country. In Philly people say "no Idear". Same in New England, but only if the following word begins in a vowel, like:

That one bugs me too... but I'm more accepting of that one.
It's kind of a lazy thing when they do it.... or more of a coloquialism, depending on region.

(Y'all know they do that here in the south too..... Right? LOL)

I think I read the post already about Your & You're....... That gets me riled up....

So does: Their - There - They're when people misuse them!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Are we applying for the ATS grammar police here?

Content should be measured here, not grammer. Obviously we have a certain expectation when posting on ATS, but some of the stuff mentioned here is nitpicking.

If I say, Your instead of You're

So What?

If me senteces r lokin like dis den mabye we gots a problim.

Other then that, turn the other cheek and keep on fightin' the good fight.

[edit on 4-8-2006 by chissler]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I was talking about some of the most basic grammatic rules. Sorry for not making that clear.

What are some of the most basic rules? Thanks.....

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
to avoid any confusion I say

Woulda

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Its about time someone mentioned those apostrophe's, two.

But hey, as long as you run it through a spell checker . . . .

Frome "Owed to a Spell Chequer"

A chequer is a bless sing
It freeze yew lodes of thyme
It helps me awl stiles two reed
And aides mi when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should be proud
And wee mussed dew the best wee can
Sew flaws are knot aloud

And now bee cause my spelling
is checked with such grate flare
Their are know faults with in my cite
Of nun eye am a wear

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi myself, but otoh... one of my best and smartest friends is dyslexic. It's sloppy thinking that really gets me, and God knows there's enough of that on this site.

Mind you, it's people not knowing the difference, for example, between "cite" and "site" or even, gawdelpus, "sight" that pisses me off. There are other examples but I can't think of any right now. If I find some, I might quote them (anonymously) and post them here. Non-native English speakers get lots of slack, obviously.

There is, of course, one person in particular, whose posts combine the worst of grammar, spelling, and illogical thought... I believe English is her (clue) first language, so there's really no excuse... but obviously, I'm not saying who it is. But her posts are offensive in spelling, grammar, style and content. Quite a grand slam, really.

Oh, and has anyone noticed that people who are deficient in these areas tend to use lots of these? :shk:

It makes me want to :bnghd:

Oops - had to fix a typo!

[edit on 5-8-2006 by rich23]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Grrrr...

I'm having some serious deja vu events lately.

EVERYBODY, repeat after me..

"Would have".

Now there, I feel better already.

I don't mind bad spelling, though,

BUT, there was someone on another thread commenting on someone else's good "spelling and grammer".

boldface mine, for emphasis.

Apparently they are not truly aware of what good spelling looks like.

I didn't comment about it there, though.

[edit on 12/19/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Excellent thread! While I agree with Chissler to a certain extent, I think threads such as this one are sometimes sorely needed.

One thing that really irritates me is improper usage of differ and defer. It is "I beg to differ", not "I beg to defer".

I also hate it when someone says zero by saying 'Oh'. For example, a telephone number such as 555-0123 should be five-five-five zero-one-two-three, not five-five-five 'oh'-one-two-three. 'Oh' is not a number.

And yes, I know I am being VERY nit-picky with that last one, but just couldn't help myself!

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
That's about like people saying that "I could care les," rather than saying it the correct way "I couldn't care less.!" It really irritates me. :shk:

Folks, it's "I couldn't care less," not "I could care less."

[edit on 20-12-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Unless of course, they were speaking of something in which they truly cared about, even though it was not wise to do so.

*Actually I have used that one myself, lol.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

*Actually I have used that one myself, lol.

Oh,yeah,Mechanic. It's a common mistake. It just irks the hell out of me.

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Other examples of incorrect usage:

Their, there, they're

Populous, populace.

Edit: I went back and read a few more threads, and this surfaced:

To, too, two.
:bnghd:

[edit on 26-12-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Some of the things that people are alluding to are just typing mistakes rather than actual grammatical ones. It's easy to only type the word "to" when you really mean "too" and such. Here's the one that gets me

Grey

Ahem, no, it's

Gray

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

I have a theory about this.
Theah ah so many othah things that ah pronounced without the ah (r), even though they contain an ah, that New Englandahs, had to find a place to dispose of the extra ah's.

They voted, and chose Idea(r) and Viser (visa). These words are used to dispose of the "r"'s that everyone keeps dropping all over town.

Otherwise they would be up to thier "arses" in "R"s.

[edit on 26-12-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Some of the things that people are alluding to are just typing mistakes...

I had noticed as well, but didn't want to point out the obvious.

Originally posted by spacedoubt

These words are used to dispose of the "r"'s that everyone keeps dropping all over town.

lol and

That was too funny.

[edit on 12/27/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
I have a theory about this.
Theah ah so many othah things that ah pronounced without the ah (r), even though they contain an ah, that New Englandahs, had to find a place to dispose of the extra ah's.

They voted, and chose Idea(r) and Viser (visa). These words are used to dispose of the "r"'s that everyone keeps dropping all over town.

I think an analysis of the dater proves your theory correct, spacedoubt.

[edit on 26-12-2006 by spacedoubt]

Finally, a plausible explanation for why Massachusetts is a Blue state!

[edit on 27-12-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have to agree with chissler, on the nit picking, but everyone has a complaint, yours being valid too. The one thing that bothers me is improper pronunciation. The worst of the improper pronunciation for me, is when someone pronounces an R, like a W. My sister in law has that habit, which was corrected with speech therapy in grade school. Yes, I said corrected! Even so, she fell back into the awful habit because she is too lazy to say her R’s the right way. She admits it!!

I have a little story to tell about this… This same sister in law, adopted a little boy a few years back, and his name was Carl. Well, I’m sure you can guess how she said his name ((((Cawol)))) what did she do?? She legally had his name changed to Cody because she was too lazy to say Carl the right way, even though she can. My name is Jennifer, and she calls me Jennifew. I really favor it when she simply calls me Jen instead. Her daughters name is Brandy, but it’s ((((Bwandy)))) instead.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
Her daughters name is Brandy, but it’s ((((Bwandy)))) instead.

If she changed Cawel's name to Cody, why not change Bwandy to Beth or something?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jensouth31
My sister in law has that habit, which was corrected with speech therapy in grade school. Yes, I said corrected! Even so, she fell back into the awful habit because she is too lazy to say her R’s the right way. She admits it!!

Wow! Your sister-in-law is Babwa Wawa? She's pretty busy these days trying to referee the dispute between Wosie O'Donnell and Donald Twump, isn't she?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join