It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report Reveals Government Hid Cost Overruns in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
A new report released late Friday reveals that the U.S. agency responsible for administrating $1.4 Billion in Iraq reconstruction funds hid cost overruns in unrelated accounts.

www.latimes.com
US Agency Hid Cost Overruns in Iraq, Audit Finds
By Greg Miller
The Los Angeles Times

Sunday 30 July 2006

Washington - The U.S. agency responsible for administering $1.4 billion in reconstruction funds in Iraq has sought to hide major cost overruns on high-profile projects from Congress by engaging in questionable accounting maneuvers, according to a federal audit released late Friday.
The agency has masked budget spillovers on a children's hospital in the southern city of Basra and other facilities by hiding the expenditures in seemingly unrelated accounts, the report from the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction says.
Overall, the report found a "lack of effective program management" by the State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development, which oversees U.S. reconstruction spending in Iraq and other countries.
The accounting issues are the latest in a series of problems, including fraud allegations and the soaring costs of protecting work sites and crews from attacks, that have beset the massive rebuilding effort in Iraq.
The report focuses on cost overruns and construction delays at the children's hospital, whose advocates include First Lady Laura Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. But the document also points to similar accounting irregularities on other projects, including a power station in Musayyib and an electricity project in Baghdad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ya know I am not a fisical conservative but this really ticks me off. In times of obscenely large deficits allowing for example the Iraq Children's Hospital (which the government has recently pulled the plug on) to balloon from an original estimated cost of $50 Million to almost $150 Million is absurd, then to hide it, well, I think thats called criminal, isn't it? They must have hired the fellows who managed Boston's Big Dig. Those goodfellas sure do get around.

Related News Links:
www.truthout.org

[edit on 31-7-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I am so not surprised.

I have had the unpleasant experience of working with Bechtel in the recent past. They went over budget 3 weeks into a three month project, without notification. I was billed for gum, corkscrews, towels the Bechtel employees had stolen from hotels and other completely unrelated expenses.

In the end, I was handed a bill that was 150% percent over budget. The kicker: they left the study incomplete because we refused to authorise any additional labour costs.

God, how I would love to go into detail on Bechtel. But I don't need to get into a fight with their lawyers, again.

df1

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Ya know I am not a fisical conservative...

Why arent you a fiscal conservative? It seems to me that we have enough waste in government to fund every social program that has ever been dreamed. All fiscal conservatism requires is honesty, accountability and responsibility from our government officials. Surely these are noble ideals regardless of political loyalty. It is unfortunate that term conservative has been co-opted by politicians.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by df1]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Why am I not a fiscal conservative? A good question. I generally agree with your statement DF1. The simple truth of the matter is I do not believe the "we don't have enough money to go around" mantra which calls for slashing to the bone social and environmental programs while giving tax breaks to the wealthest individuals and corporations. The right wing has been chanting this for decades now and like most BIG LIES, you repeat it often enough and people start believing it. If politicians (both Republican and Democratic) were not so keen on giving away not only the shop, but the whole GD (grateful dead
:lol
country to as Bush phrased them, the haves and the have mores, there would be plenty to go around to make this nation work for everybody, not just the fat cats. Grover (no relation thank you, my screen name is taken from my dawg) Norquist and former GOP chairman Jim Gilmore (former and not lamented governor of my state of Virginia) are both on record as saying that the plan is to run up so much red ink that congress will have no choice but to eliminate social programs. In short their plan is to force an elimination of most government services whether the electoriate want to or not. We can fund way over priced armaments (some of which are actually unwanted) but grudge assistance to the poor, we can waste billions on a ill conceived and mis-managed war but won't spend a pittence in comparison to develop real alternative energy sources that would go a long way to free us from oil....the list goes on and on. The sad thing is, this holdfast government in place now, in refusing to deal with real issues now in favor of tax cuts and all that other crap gaurenttees that the solutions will be far more expensive when we become forced to deal with them.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I tend to think DF1, that distinctions such as conservative/liberal are promoted by those who have a vested interest in decisiveness. When push comes to shove the majority of people in this country are moderate to slightly left of center with the extremes of right wing/left wing being more rare. The thing is people when polled on their politics (and this has been demonstrated several times now) often describe themselves as conservative but when polled on the policies that they prefer and they are shown to be, as I said left of center. This is one reason why the republicans run on knee jerk issues as opposed to actual issues, they always lose in the polls on the issues so instead they wave the flag and wail about flag burning, or gay marriage because if they ran on their record on the environment for example, they are the ones way out in left field as it were.

new topics

join