It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America's losing its position of the world's leader?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Fareed Zakaria, chief editor of Newsweek, has written an article about whether America is losing its leadership position. Link to this article: www.fareedzakaria.com...

Zakaria is wrong, there are no symptoms of America being overtaken by anyone. Consider:
1) In the first quarter of 2006 alone, the American economy has grown by 5.6. In the second quarter of this year alone, it has grown by 2.5%. [1]
2) The Chinese airforce has introduced the J-10 fighter into service. The J-10 is a replica of the F-16, which the USAF will retire in 2012. The Indian airforce has introduced the Harrier fighter, which the USMC wil retire in 2012 too. [2]
3) America has 11 aircraft carriers, while India has 2 and China has none. That figure doesn't even include the 5 Tarawa class LPDs in the USN's arsenal [3]
4) America has won more Nobel Prizes than the rest of the world combined. India has won 1 scientific Nobel Prize and China has won none. [4]
5) The US has a larger nuclear arsenal than the rest of the world combined, and it is growing quickly.
6) America is not walling itself from immigrants, Bush proposed an amnesty to the 12 million illegal immigrants that now live in the US.

REFERENCES:
[1] news.bbc.co.uk...
[2] www.globalsecurity.org...
[3] www.globalsecurity.org...
[4] www.nobelprize.org...

[edit on 30-7-2006 by JimmyCarterIsNotSmarter]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
In a sense, yes.

Currently in the UN, there is a void that was left by America when it decided to go to war without the UN. By doing that, a lot of countries were not too pleased by American actions and decided to distance themselves from America. China, seeing this void, has decided to walk in and soak it up. With their booming economy and growing influence (expected to be the largest economy in the world by 2026), China is starting to believe its own hype regarding the potential "superpower" tag. Its looking for ways now to show its power and influence. It recently made President Bush change his view on Taiwan to please the Chiniese (remember that? Bush said he wished Taiwan not to do anything to damage American and Chinese relation, which China took as support for the "one China" policy)

But its not a bad thing, many Americans will probably feel its much better not being seen as the "leader of the world", everyone will stop hating you now

[edit on 30-7-2006 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   

But its not a bad thing, many Americans will probably feel its much better not being seen as the "leader of the world", everyone will stop hating you now

"You"? I'm not an American.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:05 AM
link   

"You"? I'm not an American.

My bad, we all make mistakes.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
My bad, we all make mistakes.

True.

Regarding your claims, i.e.:

With their booming economy and growing influence (expected to be the largest economy in the world by 2026), China is starting to believe its own hype regarding the potential "superpower" tag. Its looking for ways now to show its power and influence. It recently made President Bush change his view on Taiwan to please the Chiniese (remember that? Bush said he wished Taiwan not to do anything to damage American and Chinese relation, which China took as support for the "one China" policy)

China's economy is booming indeed. The costs of labour are so high in Europe and so low in China that businesses move from Europe to China. They are also strengthening their military.

However, Bush's support for the "one China" policy doesn't mean that the US is subservient to China. Simply, the US and China have nothing to gain from a war. China and the US are allies, not enemies. And the fact that most of China's exports go to the US means that China is economically dependent on the US - who would buy their products if the US was wiped out?

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Maybe from a technological perspective we havent lost our standing.

But from an ethical perspective and respect... wehave definately lost our edge. we blew it big time!

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I wouldn't be so sure about the technological point... after the stem cell veto and articles like this one
( Coffee machines are illegal? ), I think it safe to assume we're in trouble there too.

[edit on 30-7-2006 by loam]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I wouldn't be so sure about the technological point... after the stem cell veto and articles like this one
( Coffee machines are illegal? ), I think it safe to assume we're in trouble there too.

[edit on 30-7-2006 by loam]

funny I almost forgot about that thread... and I posted in it!!!!..lmao

thanks loam.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I wouldn't be so sure about the technological point...

Each year more patents are issued in the US than in Europe. Last year Americans won 50% of the Nobel Prizes awarded in that year.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I would hardly consider the number of patents as a sound indicator of technological superiority... Patent law in this country, as elsewhere, is severely broke. Would you like me to show you how???

The truth is that even coughing with your hand over your mouth appears to be a patentable concept.

new topics

top topics

join