It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terroristic Countries will have MiG-31

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 12:39 AM
link   
JANE'S DEFENCE INDUSTRY - AUGUST 01, 2006

Russians offer MiG-31s to Middle Eastern customers
Bill Sweetman IDR Technology and Aerospace Editor

MiG and Russian defence export agency Rosboronexport are proposing to supply MiG-31 fighters to a number of Middle Eastern countries, company officials said at Farnborough. The MiG-31s would be offered to countries that already operate the fighter's predecessor, the MiG-25. These include Libya and Syria.

MiG also asserted here that the MiG-31 has a demonstrated capability against low-observable targets.

Under the proposed deal, the operators would trade in their older MiG-25s for the MiG-31E version of the fighter, drawn from Russian surplus stocks. Various upgrades have been proposed for the MiG-31E, including the integration of more modern missiles. It is not only the fastest fighter on the market today but also has the largest radar and one of the longest-range missiles in the shape of the Vympel R-33E.

The MiG-31 would give Middle Eastern operators a new level of capability against distant and high-flying targets such as Global Hawk UAVs. It was also regarded as a potential threat to high-value airborne assets such as AWACS and Joint STARS (Surveillance Target Attack Radar System).

The MiG-31 system has been tested against cruise-missile-sized targets, according to MiG deputy general designer Vladimir Barkovsky. "We have had no problems in that area."

I think there will including Iran! Russia always export heavy weapon to terroristic country!

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Not sure what makes Libya or Syria any more "terroristic" than any other country that actively supports terrorist groups such as France or USA. Regarding the Mig-31 , it's a fine aircraft, but in the numbers that Iran, Syria, or Libya might be able to deploy, it wont have NATO nations quaking in their boots. In other words, it's a non-story.

[edit on 30-7-2006 by orca71]

Mod Edit: Removed Quote Of Entire Preceding Post.

[edit on 30/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 03:24 AM
link   
libya is nota nymore the terrorist country I believe you all think it is, of course they have a dictator but they closed their nuke projects and try to become more western.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yeah, Lybia is NOT a terroristic country, but Syria and Iran does is I think. They support Hezbollah to kill many civilians.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Lets not get into politics! No one wants this moved into PTS.

More importantly is terroristic a word??

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
why are they Terroristic Countries?
they do what the US does except not as bad (dont see people jumping the Terroristic america has just got a new aircraft)

anyhow back on topic so what?
just because the US and europe have a arms embargo on countries doesnt mean russia cant sell its tech, more they sell more money they get meaning they can work on better air craft and so forth

whats the specs for the MiG-31s

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Specifications (MiG-31)
General characteristics

* Crew: Two (pilot and weapons system officer)
* Length: 22.69 m (74 ft 5 in)
* Wingspan: 13.46 m (44 ft 2 in)
* Height: 6.15 m (20 ft 2 in)
* Wing area: 61.6 m² (663 ft²)
* Empty weight: 21,820 kg (48,100 lb)
* Loaded weight: 41,000 kg (90,400 lb)
* Max takeoff weight: 46,200 kg (101,900 lb)
* Powerplant: 2× Soloviev D-30F6 afterburning turbofans
o Dry thrust: 93 kN (20,900 lbf) each
o Thrust with afterburner: 152 kN (34,172 lbf) each

Performance

* Maximum speed: 1,500 km/h (930 mph) clean at sea level, 3,000 km/h (1,860 mph) at altitude
* Combat radius: 720 km (450 mi)
* Ferry range: 3,300 km (2,050 mi)
* Service ceiling: 20,600 m (67,600 ft)
* Rate of climb: 208 m/s (41,000 ft/min)
* Wing loading: 666 kg/m² (136 lb/ft²)
* Thrust/weight: 0.85

Armament

* 1x GSh-6-23 23mm cannon with 260 rounds
* Fuselage recesses for four R-33 (AA-9 'Amos') or (for MiG-31M/BM only) six R-37 (AA-X-13 'Arrow') long-range air-to-air missiles
* Four underwing pylons for a combination of:
o two R-40RD1/R-40TD1(AA-6 'Acrid') medium-range missiles
o four R-60 (AA-8 'Aphid') or R-73 (AA-11 'Archer') short-range
o four R-77 (AA-12 'Adder', also known as "AMRAAMski"), medium-range missiles
* Some aircraft equipped to launch the Kh-31P and Kh-58 anti-radiation missiles in the SEAD role.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
With AA-9 and/or AA-13 long range missiles (analogous with Phoenix in the case of the former and much longer ranged still in the latter case), the MiG-31 Foxhound is a very potent aircraft.

Although AA-9 Amos seems more likely, the MiG-31Es could be modified to carry four AA-13 under the fuselage or more likely 2 under the wings (in the latter case retaining AA-9 under the fuselage).

Re potential buyers, you forgot Algeria. Reports are that Algeria has ordered Su-30s and is on the brink of ordering Rafale (!) in addition - maybe this is MAPO trying to get in on the action as Algeria modernises its air force. Persistant rumors that Algeria is buying MiG-29SMT seem to have drifted by the wayside.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
why are they Terroristic Countries?
they do what the US does except not as bad (dont see people jumping the Terroristic america has just got a new aircraft)

anyhow back on topic so what?
just because the US and europe have a arms embargo on countries doesnt mean russia cant sell its tech, more they sell more money they get meaning they can work on better air craft and so forth

whats the specs for the MiG-31s

Oh I don't know
. If you bothered to watch the news you'd know.Syria and Iran supply hezbollah katyusha rockets to use against civilians not to mention funding and many other things.Iran's presidet constantly calls for the destruction of ISrael openly and they're trying to build nuke warheads.

The US gov has done many bad things in the past. However that depends on theadministration(No govt is perfect). however laeling the whole country terroristic is just utter BS.

[edit on 30-7-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by urmomma158
Oh I don't know
. If you bothered to watch the news you'd know.Syria and Iran supply hezbollah katyusha rockets to use against civilians not to mention funding and many other things.Iran's presidet constantly calls for the destruction of ISrael openly and they're trying to build nuke warheads.

The US gov has done many bad things in the past. However that depends on theadministration(No govt is perfect). however laeling the whole country terroristic is just utter BS.
By the same logic labeling Syria and/or Libya "terroristic" is equally BS.

It is a matter of fact that the US has in recent years supported terrorist organisations, as have MANY governments. I'm not taking sides on the arab-Israeli issue, just stating some obvious observations.

By comparrison Pakistan is another country which supports terrorist organisations yet they are on the US alies list and US is selling them all kinds of advanced weaponry.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Mig-31s will greatll expand these AFs, especailly with the added weaponry. Although i do not know as much as i would like about many aircraft, the 31 will give range, speed and is a good interceptor. but i think i would rather have them get 31s then some Su-30s.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The more I hear about Libya and al-Gaddafi, the more I think he could be one of the west's best allies in that section of the world. After all, he was one of the first to openly comdem the 9/11 attacks. Too many people are still hooked on the past and should start reading more recent information about what going on over there. A lot has changed.
Libya in general is an ideal customer for the MiG-31, since they flew the MiG-25 for so many years. For just about any other air force, the -31 would be too complex for them and, well, bad things would happen. And given Libya has kept cool since the 1990's and has allowed inpectors full access to it's nuclear programs (as opposed to Iran), the purchase of a defence aircraft sure as this might just mean 'keeping up with the Jones'. I personally would not worry to much about it. Only worry if they go to North Korea or Iran.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Does anyone know how "survivable" Mig-31 is if used in low altitude penetration, skimming the desert at 1.5mach?
Because some "evil" persons might get an idea to use such fast platform to distripute WMDs...

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
No, if MiG-31 actually fly at low altitude over Mach 1, that will be consume much more fuel it carry than normal situation,so only get shooort combat radius, which means, at that condition, the MiG-31 JUST can be used as a interceptor like MiG-21, not an offensive fighter.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The Russians considered a side by side two seater bomber variant during the evolution of the MiG 31 from the MiG 25 but it was not pursued as it would be inferior to the Su-24 Fencer.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by urmomma158
Oh I don't know

[edit on 30-7-2006 by urmomma158]

if your going to quote me please read my reply properly it would help

i wont say more as i dont want to turn this into politics

just a add on,
the united states is far the largest sponsor of terrorists out number Iran,syrai by miles. also to the US and Israel and some countries hazbullah are terrorists not in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Israel are armed by the US and far most kill hundreds of cuvilians which hazbullah only do a fraction since almost all their targets are military.
attacking cuvilians after israel started.

so all nations can be defined spnosrs of terrorists some more then others.

sorry for the late edit
your facts in your second reply wasnt so much of facts

[edit on 31-7-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This has to be a good thing: how could you justify the F-22 and F-35 unless there was a decent threat to fly against?

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
if your going to quote me please read my reply properly it would help

i already read your reply and answered it with facts but i don't want to get into it as much as you do so

i wont say more as i dont want to turn this into politics
Neither do I

i'm not trying to say the US isa ny better but lol no country is a goody two shoes they're all doing something wrong and or sneaky.i nevr labeled Libya as a terroristic country> syrai si not that bad it's slightly terroristic(hezbollah). But the Iranian govt is definetely terroristic.
[edit on 31-7-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Wembly, the Mig-31 (any version) isn’t even a threat to the F-22, F-35 and countless other more advanced aircraft, people get so impressed by specific and misleading raw numbers that they don’t look deeper, what a shame. :shk: I suppose for developing countries it could be considered a threat but against developed and modern air forces it wouldn’t make a big difference (if any).

[edit on 31-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Terroristic countries will have Mig-31

...But will the be able to fly them

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join