It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Headbangers Unite.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
HEADBANGERS UNITE.

As a long time headbanger, im now just into my forties, im ticked off at how we've allowed the music industry suits to hijack metal. Whats with all these differtent genres of metal, Death/Black/Nu/Doom/Glam/Grindcore/Industrial/Power/Thrash/Speed/NWOBHM/Stoner thats just off the top off my head. Theres heaps more just check out wikipedias listing of genre's and sub groups.

en.wikipedia.org...

We're being pigeonholed by record company's and execs who wouldnt know a decent freakin riff if it jumped up and bit them on the ass.
The worst part about the hijacking of our culture is the fact that we are allowing them to do this. I went to watch a mates band play, it was a hardcore crowd and some of the looks i got were "check out the old geezer in the iron maiden tshirt'. I mean im a fairly big bloke so it doesnt particularly bother me, but whats the bloody deal, were all headbangers, i enjoy listening to anything as long as its heavy, hard, fast, loud or all of the above.
Growing up with metal in the late seventies and 80's we would listen to all sorts of stuff from
Sabbath to Venom to Celtic Frost to Motley Crue to Metallica to Fist to Thrasher and so on, now you'd be expected to stick to some chosen genre. Well thats crap and it's about time we took back our right to listen to what ever we damn well please from the suits and showed some respect to fellow devotees no matter what style they like to listen too. Stop being sheeple, thats the last thing metal was supposed to be about and in the words of Saxon,
STAND UP AND BE COUNTED. rant over.

:bnghd: :bash:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
YES!! ANOTHER METALHEAD!!

I like a lot of different Metal man. Thrash/Speed Metal being my favorite..but I like all kinds of Metal dude. I hate how the Metal community has been invaded by tons of poseurs and crap like that. Nu-Metal=not Metal at ALL. Metalcore is monotonous as hell, and it's not really Metal either.

My favorite bands are Heathen, Agent Steel, early Megadeth, Artillery...and a long list of stuff...yeah.

But I'm really sick of this crap that gets labelled Metal by a lot of record companies like Roadrunner..and they have no clue what real Metal is. I could go on for days about what pisses me off about that stuff today, but I won't. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Cheers to you man. I was hoping there were other Metalheads on here. TRUE METALHEADS at that..not this Slipknot loving crap. That's not Metal....

I see what you mean by being pigeonholed. I totally do. When I tell people I listen to Heavy Metal, they think of that crappy screaming Metalcore crap.......

[edit on 30-7-2006 by UnstoppableForce]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yeh this is what annoys me, at the moment im listening to Lamb of God, Municipal Waste, Mindsnare, Tool and ive bought a couple of old Manilla Road vinyls. All those bands are supposedly different genres according to the record company's and i shouldnt be listening to them, well stuff em!

You should check out Thrasher and Tyrant from the 80's, sounds like you might like them. Also for some free Metal downloads check out these bands sites.

www.heathenmetal.com... yeah these guys are cool.

nasca.atw.hu...

www.intruder.biz...

:bnghd:

[edit on 30/7/06 by mojo4sale]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I'm not big on Lamb Of God(better than most Metalcore) or Tool(good experimental styled Rock stuff, just not my cup of tea), But I have the Heathen albums..and just about every Thrash Metal album that matters that's around. I actually know the Heathen guys personally. Lee Altus is the reason I picked up guitar.

But like....right now I've been listening to Power/Progressive Metal stuff like Firewind, Pagan's Mind, and Eidolon. See..because I'm mainly into thrash metal.....a lot of people ask me why I listen to those bands too? Well..it's cause I'm a Metal fan. I don't pigeonhole myself.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnstoppableForce

But like....right now I've been listening to Power/Progressive Metal stuff like Firewind, Pagan's Mind, and Eidolon. See..because I'm mainly into thrash metal.....a lot of people ask me why I listen to those bands too? Well..it's cause I'm a Metal fan. I don't pigeonhole myself.

Good for you dude, unfortunately too many of us now get sucked into all the hype sprouted by the record comps and dont allow themselves to discover that good Metal can traverse so many different styles. Its been divide and conquer marketing since the early 90's.

Originally posted by UnstoppableForce
I'm not big on Lamb Of God(better than most Metalcore) or Tool(good experimental styled Rock stuff, just not my cup of tea)

Thats my point, were not all going to have the same tastes, but to be stuck just listening to one style and not being able too appreciate the rest of the great stuff around because were told by record company's, the music media and peers that we shouldnt p****'s me off. Bands and their management need to share some of the blame too imo, not nearly enough crossover shows, i'd love nothing better than to be able to go and see 4 or 5 bands playing 4 or 5 types of Metal without all the poseurs and cliques, just everyone moshing out and having a ball.

You sound like youve got your head screwed on at least and are resisting the corporate dogs.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Well yeah...I also noticed something. I dress old school like they did in the 80's...not because I'm trying to follow anyone, but because I think it expresses my personality, and who I am. But then..I go down to LA and see every kid dressing the same as me, and I knew right off the bat that it was a trend for them. It bothers me because I know I'll get lumped in with them. The difference between them and I, is the fact that I dig the music, it's a part of me, and I don't claim to like it to impress anyone, or be cool. I also don't listen to just ONE style(as stated before). But it bugs me..because there are a lot of poseur kids that ruin it for EVERYONE else.....:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
32 year old shameless metalhead right here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

Its nice to see we arent extinct! And I agree this pigeonholing is pissing me off! Screw it! Its all friggin metal, for christs sake! If its got a good, driving rythym and some seriously chaotic guitar magic, Im in! If its got a very complex, eiiree, creepy melody and the wailing of guitars in the background, Im on! If it scares the hell out of little old religous fundie and makes people hide their children in my presence, Im in!

IF ITS *$%@ing METAL, IM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love everything metal. Progressive, classic, thrash, industrial, death, ect ect ect, I dont care.

I still have my old Metallica shirt that has a hand with a dagger sticking out of a toilet that says METAL UP YOUR *SS.

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

:w::w::w::w::w::w::w::bash::bash::bash::bash:

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I am not a metal head myself but I have a lot of respect for it because my ol' man is a 33 year old old school metal head. He gets the same demeaning looks from people when he goes out or plays shows, you know the "Look at the old man playing outdated metal" look.

The local metal bands won't play with his band saying he is too old school, so he usually ends up getting gigs with punk bands who actually have way more respect for old school metal than the metal bands do (at least around here). All these new so called "metal" bands playing now days all sound identical to eachother. It's insane.

posted on Aug, 8 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Even the punk scenes degenerating into cliquey little sub genres, its as annoying as hell. I agree though that alot of the new metal bands sound the same, local shows that i go to theres maybe 4 or 5 bands playing and they all sound the same, now i dont mind Mudvayne, but there all bloody clones here at the moment. At least we have a couple of decent festivals going up where you can go from one stage to another and see all kinds of different bands. Sad though this is to be the last METAL FOR THE BRAIN festival in november, i hope some one else picks up the slack and promotes a new festival next year.

new topics

top topics

join