It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damn Canadians Passing Off Their Coinage As American

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I just got home and emptied out my pockets to reveal 3 cents in the Canadian denomination. What the hell am I going to do with 3 cents Canadian
Geez I used to like you people too. I think our northern neighbors designed their pennies to resemble ours just for this purpose. I mean canadians try to set themselves apart from Americans in just above every conceivable way they can but then they choose to design their smallest currency unit to resemble ours so closely.

I'm watchin' you Canada.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
All of their coinage appears to be the same size as ours in the U. S.

U. S. banks will not accept it, but they do hand it out in change, to get rid of what they miss coming in.

Sounds like a conspiracy to me.

Hmmm.....

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Jeez, I'll bet if they could get all the coins back just from Americans, they could pay off some national debt. Maybe the Canadian gov't could set up collection cans on the counters of grocery stores, etc in the United States. Yes, with a picture of some sad looking Canadian on it. Too bad there's not some kind of machine that sucks Canadian coins out of vehicles, pockets, etc. that cross the border.

Foreign coins are great to give to kids and grandkids. Just make sure they don't end up on the floor, as the Candadian govt will not reimburse for a new vacuum.

Hey, is there a Canadian complaint about US coins in Canada?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Hey, is there a Canadian complaint about US coins in Canada?

We have plenty of U.S. pennies and no one cares. They get tossed in the street just like the Canadain ones.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It costs the government 1.2 cents to produce a penny. Your plan to get rich and conquer the world is to collect all tossed pennies and resell them back to the gov for half the price.

(Sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!)

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I hate that too! The stores seem all too happy to give them to you when you're in a hurry, but they never take them back!

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
lol, some people will complain about anything...yes, its a big conspiracy, we canadians hate our pennies and go over the border to get rid of them all the time..lol

i bet it was some american who visited Canada, and decided to cash them in at a local store when he got home...
we get american pennies all the time in canada, they are the same shape and size...who really cares?? hell, sometimes we get the nickels, dimes and quarters in our stores as well...think i'll start an american coinage conspiracy thread

I find it hard to believe that the banks will not accept them...people are starting to use pennies less and less, do what i do, roll up your pennies to take to the bank, and slip the canadian ones in there, i'm sure they will accept them...if they don't, that can be a whole new conspiracy thread.."american banks refuse to accept canadian coins"

my advice to you would be to hold on to your 3 canadian pennies, cause as things are going, they might be worth more than the american ones in the coming future

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
At the gas station/convenience store where I work, we accept any Canadian money under a quarter, and it gets turned in to the bank just the same. (What the bank does with them, I don't know -- but I've never heard of the store being short because of Canadian coinage.) Anything over a quarter we cannot accept, and will not get credit for at the bank.

Frankly, I don't care. Half the time, I keep extra coins in my pocket just to snag the interesting out-of-country coins that I can.. including the old American coins made of silver that people toss around without thought!

top topics

join