Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Saudi king offers Lebanon $1.5bn

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   

bbc news

King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia has promised to give $500m to Lebanon to pay for reconstruction.
He also approved $1bn for the Central Bank of Lebanon to support the economy.

The Saudi monarch warned that Israel's military offensives in Lebanon and Gaza could ignite a war in the region.

He has held talks with Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak in the Saudi capital Riyadh ahead of a conference on Lebanon in Rome on Wednesday.

Pressure on the Lebanese pound has risen over the past fortnight during the military action by Israel in response to Hezbollah's capture of two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border attack.

Lebanon billions adrift

Experts estimate the damage to the Lebanese economy at around $2bn, with investors and tourists fleeing, and believe that the government is set to lose out on $600m in earnings.

Saudi Arabia has been a major backer of Lebanon since the 1975-1990 civil war was ended with a peace deal in the Saudi town of Taif.

The king has coupled his aid promises with unusually forthright comments about the crisis.

"Saudi Arabia warns everybody that if the peace option fails because of Israeli arrogance, there will be no other option but war," he was quoted as saying by state media.

Saudi Arabia and Egypt have called for an immediate halt to the Israeli offensive but have also blamed Hezbollah for starting the fighting.

finaly one Arab country is actuily saying and doing something,
by supporting lebanon.

what i highlighted will saudi attack Israel
being the islamic centre of the muslims all around the world alot of islamic nations would back them up.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Now,seeing as the Israeli government has said the war is not against Lebanon or it,s people,it would be nice to see if they offer some gesture also.After they have finished destroying it in the hope of hitting some of the terrorists that is..

But anyway,it is a wonderful gesture from Saudi

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

It helps further support my beliefs that the Saudi Arabian government, a supposed "ally" is not and never has been a friend of the U.S.

Not because they are against Israel.

But because they support terrorism. They will openly give Hezbollah, which is a borderline terrorist group, money to fight Israel.

Its the insane amounts of cash they give to terrorist organizations behind the scenes that really blows the mind.

And the U.S. government spent billions defending them from the supposed threat of Saddam Hussein.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. If I had my way, the first gulf war would have never been fought and I would have happily allowed Hussein and Iraq to have their wicked way with Saudi Arabia, as corrupt and untristworthy a country as any on the planet.

And lest you forget, the Saudis are best friends with the Bush clan. So its not like wed ever do anything to them anyway. Clinton had his tounge firmly up their rumps too.

Oil talks. BS walks.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Thanks for posting this.

my pleasure

It helps further support my beliefs that the Saudi Arabian government, a supposed "ally" is not and never has been a friend of the U.S.

Not because they are against Israel.

But because they support terrorism. They will openly give Hezbollah, which is a borderline terrorist group, money to fight Israel.

actuily if you read the article you will see its to help the people of lebanon since they are losing 600million in revenue from tourists, and countless millions in industry. Israel have destroyed almost all of lebanons infrusture which will take a few billion to fix, i dont see the US sending this even so its its bombs which it supplied to israel that is doing this damage.

also its Iran that supports hazbullah to fight Israel

dont see how it supports your side since it reads diffrent

also last time i checked Saudi can bypass the pentigon to by arms from the USA (correct me if i am wronge on this)

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. If I had my way, the first gulf war would have never been fought and I would have happily allowed Hussein and Iraq to have their wicked way with Saudi Arabia, as corrupt and untristworthy a country as any on the planet.

And lest you forget, the Saudis are best friends with the Bush clan. So its not like wed ever do anything to them anyway. Clinton had his tounge firmly up their rumps too.

Oil talks. BS walks.

if the US had kept its nose out of the middle east most things wount have happend,
saddam,Iran and so on.

[edit on 29-7-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

actuily if you read the article you will see its to help the people of lebanon since they are losing 600million in revenue from tourists, and countless millions in industry. Israel have destroyed almost all of lebanons infrusture which will take a few billion to fix, i dont see the US sending this even so its its bombs which it supplied to israel that is doing this damage.

And do you really think that money is going to actually be spent on and used by the Lebanese people? Not likely.

Especially when you consider how Saudi Society treats all foreigners, including fellow Muslims from other countries as subhuman trash.

Also its Iran that supports hazbullah to fight Israel

Of course they do. But a good look into the money trail would lead some threads back to saudi Arabia.

also last time i checked Saudi can bypass the pentigon to by arms from the USA (correct me if i am wronge on this)

The Saudis can bypass just about any damn thing they like in the US. They got the oil and connections. They have almost as much power over U.S. policy as Israel does. If you don't believe me, look at the 9/11 commision and see how many pages were blacked that had references to the Aaudi Arabian government.

if the US had kept its noise out of the middle east most things wount have happend,
saddam,Iran and so on.

Not really. the middle east was a mess before we got involved. It would have gone to hell in a handbasket without our help.

Our biggest problem in the middle east is support for Israel.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
Now,seeing as the Israeli government has said the war is not against Lebanon or it,s people,it would be nice to see if they offer some gesture also.After they have finished destroying it in the hope of hitting some of the terrorists that is..

But anyway,it is a wonderful gesture from Saudi

Well according to things I read from the last war with Israel, they were supposed to pay some sort of reparations and never did. Doubt they will.

Pie

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

And do you really think that money is going to actually be spent on and used by the Lebanese people? Not likely.

Especially when you consider how Saudi Society treats all foreigners, including fellow Muslims from other countries as subhuman trash.

and you can back that statement up?
last time i checked hazbullah dont control the goverment (they have some seats in the goverment but not to control the country)

Of course they do. But a good look into the money trail would lead some threads back to saudi Arabia.

sure

The Saudis can bypass just about any damn thing they like in the US. They got the oil and connections. They have almost as much power over U.S. policy as Israel does. If you don't believe me, look at the 9/11 commision and see how many pages were blacked that had references to the Aaudi Arabian government.

this i agree with the saudi authority own over 30% of the United states
with billions tied up in the US econemy
so if this should escilate and they should entervine with Israel and lebonan
it would have a feeling effect in the US.

Not really. the middle east was a mess before we got involved. It would have gone to hell in a handbasket without our help.

Our biggest problem in the middle east is support for Israel.

not really.
last time i checked it was the united states goverment over throwing goverments and so on for its own agenda

israel is just an inigma of the US which leaches off US taxpayers and so forth

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   

finaly one Arab country is actuily saying and doing something,
by supporting lebanon.

FINALLY! Excellent news! The oil rich neighbors will be taking care of their own
region and it won't be coming out of middle-class America !! I'm tired of paying
taxes to build up foreign countries and leaving the poor here in America in bad
shape!

BTW - Israel doesn't owe Lebanon a dime. If Lebanon didn't coddle the Hezbollah
terrorists; if Lebanon didn't invite them to be part of their government; if Lebanon
didn't turn a blind eye to all of Hezbollah's weaponry (some of which fills mosques)
then this wouldn't have happened. Lebanon brought this on itself. I applaud
them getting rid of Syria, but they stopped short. They should have been rid
of Hezbollah as well.

If Lebanon wants to rebuild it can send Hezbollah the bill. This entire situation is
their fault.

But anyways ... GOOD NEWS! Thanks for posting this info. The Saudis can foot
the bill ... not us tax paying Americans ... FOR A CHANGE!!

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

last time i checked hazbullah dont control the goverment (they have some seats in the goverment but not to control the country)

Many people fail to realise that hezbollah was pushed into those seats by syrian(influence) too.co-ersion,vote rigging false promises etc..

I know this analogy has been used a few times now but..

England did not bomb the doodoo out of Ireland,s infrastructure for the terrorism it was inflicting on UK mainland..What,s the difference?? You had Rev Ian paisley supporting them.

Also overlooked is that fact that IRA had political support through Sinn Fein (remember Gerry Adams) So if we were to have taken the same course as Israel government is doing now....then what would have happened??

What about the public U.S support for those terrorists??A certain clown logo,d fast food chain was donating profits to IRA.Isn,t this just what Iran and Syria are doing?

We have history books for a reason..to learn from past mistakes but..
We are so inclined to forget history and let double standards rule the day

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

i know the US tax payers can foot the bill for Israel
also the US taxpayers are just forking out billions every year to rebuild Iraq

you do the damage you pay to fix it.

this doesnt effect Israel since its code of conduct isnt like that of the US

[edit on 29-7-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I posted this 3 days ago

Saudi King Offers Lebanon $1.5 Billion

[edit on 29/7/06 by subz]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

If Lebanon wants to rebuild it can send Hezbollah the bill. This entire situation is
their fault.

Excuse me, but last time I checked Jews represented less then 2% of the US population and yet they get 33% of what we give out in international aid. Lebanon gets a pittance compared to Israel and there are many Arab americans which represent over 3.5million people in the United states forking out just as much taxes as you do maybe more. Even if America does shell out some money I find it would be a good thing to help them out rather then donate my hard earned cash to purchase weapons for the defense of Israel.
Its too bad we have no particluar countries to lay the burden on for Israel as you attempt to do Arab countries. Saudi Arabians have about as much in common with Lebanese as a German does to an Austrian. 2 Separate countries, 2 different peoples.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is old news...was on here last week. But good find.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This is also a case of the Saudis attempting to counter Iranian influence in Lebanon. The neocon "kuturkampf" crowd tends to forget that the Islamic world is not a united front, but is riven with bitter divisions - the rivalry between Sunni Saudi Arabia and Shiite Iran being a perfect example.

But a good look into the money trail would lead some threads back to saudi Arabia.

Unlikely.
The Wahabbi Saudi's are not in the business of supporting Shiite "heretics", and Hezbollah is a strictly Shiite operation.

[edit on 7/29/06 by xmotex]

new topics

top topics

join