It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UKIP tells more lies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Nigel Farage has said:

"We already have the EU flag on our driving licenses and our car number plates - where is the popular will for this?

LINK: www.ukip.org...

This is a lie. No one is forced to buy a car number plate with the EU flag painted on it. If people do so, then they must be willing to do so of their free will. Farage often criticizes the EC for not respecting the will of the European people – how about himself? I think he should respect the will of the European people before he demands that others do the same.

mod edit:
Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

[edit on 22-8-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The problem those anti-EU types have is that in large part their entire platform is based upon paranoid myth and distortion.

I suspect that as the last of the WW2 generation dies away this will lose the emotive basis it once had (even those who were children during the war are nearly all now old age pensioners).

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
The problem those anti-EU types have is that in large part their entire platform is based upon paranoid myth and distortion.

Yeah, last time their webmaster, having run out of real reasons to bash the EU, has written on their site that EU commissioners attend Bilderberg Group meetings. What other ridiculous lies will they tell next?

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
the biggest problem i have with the EU is that our goverment has given control of our laws without asking the people first, i believe the original question asked when we entered the EU was did we want "closer trading ties" we have never been asked if we wanted to give away our law making and legal decision making rights, this combined with part of the EU goverment being totally unelected and blatently corrupt makes the whole EU institution nothing more than a huge tax burden on the average tax payer and an institution over which we have little say or control.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
the biggest problem i have with the EU is that our goverment has given control of our laws without asking the people first, i believe the original question asked when we entered the EU was did we want "closer trading ties"

Actually there was no referendum when we entered the Union in 1973 but in 1975 the Wilson Govenment held a referendum after renegotiating memebership terms in which the question was:

'"Do you think the UK should stay in the European Community (Common Market)?"

Over two thirds of those that voted said "yes".

I think it is undeniable that the people did not fully appreciate the extent of likely future integration, although it should have been obvious at the time, but to say that we have given up our rights to make law in the UK is a gross overstatement of the situation.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   
i dont think it is, on many occasions lately when a uk law is passed it is then challenged in the courts and found to be in contravention of some ridiculous EU law such as the human rights act, and if a decision is made in a UK court the criminal on many occasions then apeals to the EU courts system which seemingly over rules not only our courts but our parliment as well

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
when a uk law is passed it is then challenged in the courts and found to be in contravention of some ridiculous EU law such as the human rights act

This is a common misconception. The European Convention on Human Rights has absolutely nothing to do with the EU. It dates back to the Treaty of Rome in 1950 and the Uk was a primary mover in its establishment.

The Human Rights Act simply brought the Convention into UK law. It imposed no new powers or constraints whatsoever other than to allow cases to be heard in a British court rather than having to be taken to the European Court of human Rights in Strasbourg.

However, whilst this has fulfilled the desire to make Human Rights law more accessible to UK citizens it has also encouraged a considerable number of frivolous and disruptive cases as well.

posted on Aug, 22 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
As with any new law the HRA will take a little while to settle down as people 'test' it's application and interpretation.

This is nothing new and happens when there is any major change to law (although as said previously it's really a technical change, the ECHR has just been properly incorporated into British law - which should have happened many many years ago, when the UK helped devise the whole thing in the first place).

No matter what happens the ECHR will remain 'above' British law (and tory leader Cameron has admitted that even with his latest idea of a British 'Bill of Rights' this would remain the case).

Despite the laughably ill-informed propaganda the HRA is not actually the 'product' of the EEC/EU at all.
It was actually written in large part by the British back in the late 1940's.

......and as for the myth that nobody thought the 'common market'/EEC would develop politically?

I would guess that many if not most parroting this lie were either not there at the time (or not old enough to recall it) or are just cynically manipulating the truth for their own ends.
There were umteen newspaper articles about European integration, endless regurgitations about Churchill's' talk of a 'United Sates of Europe' and even the old Sunday Times editor and part-time BBC political pundit/ presenter Andrew Neil wrote a book about the coming 'USE'.

Like I said to pretend that no-one at the time thought or voted on the basis that this (since it's formation political as well as an economic) entity had a political dimension is just laughable and an outright lie.

top topics

join