It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lebanon oil slick 'worst environmental disaster' in Med

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Lebanon oil slick 'worst environmental disaster' in Med

The Mediterranean is threatened by its worst ever environmental disaster after Israel's bombing of a power plant in Lebanon sent thousands of tonnes of fuel gushing into the sea, the environment minister charged.

"Up until now 10,000-15,000 tonnes of heavy fuel oil have spilled out into the sea," after Israel's bombing of the power station in Jiyeh two weeks ago, Lebanese Environment Minister Yacub Sarraf told AFP Saturday.

"It's without doubt the biggest environmental catastrophe that the Mediterranean has known and it risks having terrible consequences not only for our country but for all the countries of the eastern Mediterranean."

More...

Another unfortunate consequence to this war... :shk:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
shocking, you know it will affect the whole tourist issue in the med.....as per usual reckless behaviour by israel

GSA

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
No snoopy, reckless of the lebanese goverment to sit back and allow thousands of rockets to rain down from inside their country to hit indiscriminate targets in Israel.

The lebanese should of sorted that mess out ages ago, unless they condoned and supported it...

BACK TO THE THREAD...Ahem... sorry.

The oil slicks terrible, and it really really needs sorting before it causes a severe catastrophe for the oceans wild life.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
It's been a while since I've posted... paranoid I suppose.

Nonetheless... thy this:

Go to MSNBC.com and search for "lebanon oil spill" or "israel oil spill"

and you find....

NOTHING

Disinformation or deflection?

Sri Oracle reporting from the year 1984

[edit on 29-7-2006 by Sri Oracle]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Search for: Mediterranean oil spill.

Several articles available . . . all the way from the Boston Globe to Al Jazeera.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
original source was afb news agency ,,,,,,,and there is plenty of reasons why it woudlnt be featured on any ` murdoch type` owned news agencies.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
It's been a while since I've posted... paranoid I suppose.

Nonetheless... thy this:

Go to MSNBC.com and search for "lebanon oil spill" or "isreal oil spill"

and you find....

NOTHING

Disinformation or deflection?

Sri Oracle reporting from the year 1984

/fcfs7
/gldwr
/hhjss
/zonrh
/hl87o
/oqdht

...enough sources for you? no? ok...how about a google search: /obr3c

if you choose to close your eyes and not believe, well that's up to you. but it IS happening, wheather you like it or not.

tiny urls, brought to you by / saving webspace by not stretching out the page

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
there is plenty of reasons why it woudlnt be featured on any ` murdoch type` owned news agencies.

And that, snoopy, is the point.

Not on msnbc.com
Not on abcnews.com
Not on foxnews.com
Not on cbsnews.com

The day after the associated press releases a story about the LARGEST oil spill in lebanon history, the global news outlets, which the Consumer West rely upon for their understanding of world events, makes no mention.

Oil From Bombed Plant Covers Lebanon Shore
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 28, 2006
BEIRUT, Lebanon (AP) -- A black coat of oil now covers the Lebanese capital's once-beautiful sandy Mediterranean shore, spilled from a power plant that was knocked down by Israeli warplanes two weeks ago.

As far as the masses are concerned, it never happened. Or at least not yet.

Ask your neighbor... I bet they have no clue.

News media should serve the people,

not purposefully conspire plots to keep the people ignorant of "black coats of oil" caused by US allies.

If these media are not serving the people, it is the patriots' duty to overthrow such a propaganda machine before it corrupts the mind of those innocent.

Glogal media acting in unison to delay pertinant information to the populous is enemy to freedom.

Rasta

Jah Love

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
terrible

I saw this the other day and now I am not sure where I saw it. It was definitely online but not on tv. I suppose its no big deal ?? Why isnt this on the news?

I just dont get it. This is ecologically disasterous...why oh why isnt it on mainstream tv?

I feel very sad.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Sorry... just realizing that I am off on a political rant and using this thread to do so.

On subject, the rocky nature of this spill is going to make the cleanup effort difficult and labor intensive. Likely it will linger for a while while fighting goes on, you know "israel refusing UN called cease fire for humanitarian aid" and all... Learning of this event this morning was kind of like waking up to a phone call that my great grandmother died. Kind of saw it coming... but it hurts and leaves you awestruck nonetheless. Kind of becoming numbed to environmental devastation. I plant trees, they die... it never rains in the city.

I can't seem to hold a cohesive thought about the direct subject of the spill... so I'm just going to shut up now.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
ehem, let me clear my throat nervously

But perhaps why it hasnt been lambasted all over the mainstream news of America, is because we here are very conscious of ecological disasters and it would not bode well at all for our view of Israel in this battle. Add to that, the fact that many (not all but many) of the people with decision making prowess in American media are those whose geneology can be traced to being that of the same as those in Israel.
Thats it im not saying more (awkward situation for me being that I too am someone who cant be called a goyem)

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
Sorry... just realizing that I am off on a political rant and using this thread to do so.

With this war on you can't help but get off on a political rant, Sri. Laying waste to the Lebanese coastline must be in the battle plan.

After all, with the 4-pipelines coming thru, the engineers and contractors will be doing just as much damage, why not?

The War on Lebanon and the Battle for Oil
- by Michel Chossudovsky - 2006-07-26
Is there a relationship between the bombing of Lebanon and the inauguration of the World's largest strategic pipeline, which will channel more than a million barrels of oil a day to Western markets?

The new Turkish-Israeli proposal under discussion would see the transfer of water, electricity, natural gas and oil to Israel via four underwater pipelines.

Oil spill adds ecological crisis to Lebanon's agony

Also,

An Israeli warship damaged by a Hizbollah missile on July 15 may also have spilled diesel oil into the sea, according to the Environment Ministry website (www.moe.gov.lb).

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
well done `loam` , good find.
as per usual it comes not from a mainstream source but from a persons blog.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is excellent, I wouldn't have known about this if not for ATS.

Thank you loam, great find.

:shk:

I'm very curious why this hasn't been picked up by major media outlets. I'll be looking a little more this afternoon, maybe they're just slow to get on the ball.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Lebanon's biggest environmental catastrophe

...This spill will have a huge negative impact on the Mediterranean marine environment. The Lebanese coast is a very important site for fish spawning and sea turtle nesting, including the green turtle, which is an endangered species in the Mediterranean.

During the month of July, turtle eggs start to hatch and all baby turtles will need to reach deep waters as fast as possible. With the oil slick in their way baby turtles will have no chance of making it. Also, Blue Fin Tuna, which is a very important commercial species in the Mediterranean and which has been under severe stress from over-fishing, are present in the Eastern Mediterranean coastal water in this period of the year. The oil spill, of which part of it has settled on the sea floor, will threaten the blue fin tuna and other fish species spawning areas.

Another important impact of the spill is the effect on tourism in the future. The Lebanese coast is an important tourist destination, and after the war ends, Lebanon will need every source of income to rebuild its infrastructure. Currently, the beautiful Lebanese white beaches are covered with a black layer and the smell of fuel can be smelled a good distance in land, rendering them toxic and useless.

More...

:shk:

[edit on 29-7-2006 by loam]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's on the ABC news feed as tonight.

Dunno if they are regarded as a credible source or not these days, but even if this is only partially true it's an appalling situation.

For me, this is where the entire who's right/who's wrong thing is shown to be the rubbish it really is. This will effect that whole end of the Med, and probably far further too over time as the damage to key species propogates and ripples out up the food chain.

Talk about pooping in your own nest.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Lebanon Sees Environmental Devastation

Endangered turtles die shortly after hatching from their eggs. Fish float dead off the coast. Flaming oil sends waves of black smoke toward the city.

In this country of Mediterranean beaches and snowcapped mountains, Israeli bombing that caused an oil spill has created an environmental disaster. And cleanup cannot start until the fighting stops, the U.N. says.

More...

new topics

top topics

join