It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Degrees / Aprons / Rings?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I have a few questions about the masonic degrees

Does each degree have a symbol or tool associated with it?

Also is there an Apron per degree?

I have seen a 14th degree,32nd degree and 33rd degree ring. Is there a ring for each degree?

In the Knights Templar Order how many degrees are there? Also do they degrees work around tools/symbols of masonry? Also as above is there a tool/symbol for each degree as well as apron and ring?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonite
I have a few questions about the masonic degrees

Does each degree have a symbol or tool associated with it?

No. Many of the degrees beyond the Symbolic or Craft Degrees (Entered Apprentice, Fellow Craft, Master Mason) do not have working tools. Some do, but not all.

Also is there an Apron per degree?
Basically the same answer as above. Several of the York Rite degrees have a special apron and each of the Scottish Rite Degrees has an apron, but not ALL Masonic degrees.

I have seen a 14th degree,32nd degree and 33rd degree ring. Is there a ring for each degree?
No.

In fact, there are only TWO official Masonic rings, the 14th and the 33rd. The Master's ring, York Rite rings, Scottish Rite (32nd Degree) rings and Shriners rings may be of pretty much any design. Having a Masonic emblem on them makes them Masonic (some even have combinations of other fraternal societies on them) For example I've seen a combination Masonic/Knights of Pythias ring and a Masonic/Odd Fellows ring. The design of the 14th and 33rd Degree rings is set forth by the Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite, which makes them "official."

In the Knights Templar Order how many degrees are there? Also do they degrees work around tools/symbols of masonry? Also as above is there a tool/symbol for each degree as well as apron and ring?

There are three. The Order of the Red Cross, the Order of Malta and the Order of the Temple. The degrees are based on chivalry and Knighthood not building (like the degrees of the Symbolic Lodge) There are no Aprons for these degrees (referred to as "Orders") There are numerous versions of KT rings available. I've never seen a Malta or Red Cross ring, though I suppose one could have one made.

Keep in mind, masonite, the info above refers to Freemasonry in the United States. It varies from country to country.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Agreed.

There are a couple of different aprons based on your possition. For example the brothers all wear a white apron but the Worshipful Master wears a different one and a past Master wears a different one from that. It is a way of recogining their acheivements.

There are different rings that offer the same recogniztion but not for each degree.

That was a good question by the way.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Thanks for the info guys.

What make sthe 14th degree stand out beyond the others to have a ring for it?

Also the below image is a picture of an apron and was stated that this item comes from the Templar Commandery No. 5 in Worcester Mass. and dates from around 1900. Did they at one time use an apron or aprons in the degrees?

So for the blue lodge the Entered App.,Fellow Craft and Master have the same apron? Are they limited to same design?

[edit on 29-7-2006 by masonite]

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I thought that different offices within the Lodge have their own Aprons and that that made up the bulk of aprons?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonite
Thanks for the info guys.
What make sthe 14th degree stand out beyond the others to have a ring for it?

The 14th is the so-called degree of "Perfection" (not to insinuate that Masons are perfect) and is the governing degree in the local Scottish Rite "Lodges" (called "Valleys") Business (paying the bills, voting on new members, organizing committees, ALL the fun stuff) for the Scottish Rite is conducted in the 14th Degree (yes, by 32nd & 33rd Degree Masons.) I know that's a bit confusing, but that's the way it's organized. Of course business for the Supreme Council is conducted in the 33rd Degree.

Also the below image is a picture of an apron and was stated that this item comes from the Templar Commandery No. 5 in Worcester Mass. and dates from around 1900. Did they at one time use an apron or aprons in the degrees?

My apologies. I posted the first response really earling in the morning (pre-coffee) and should have pointed that out. Yes, in the U.S. the early KT's did wear aprons like the one you pictured. I really don't recall the circumstances around them dropping this practice and it is still practiced in other countries. I kind of like them myself and am not to fond of the silly "military" style uniforms the KT's wear today.

So for the blue lodge the Entered App.,Fellow Craft and Master have the same apron? Are they limited to same design?

Basically, although some lodges may have varying aprons for the first three degrees (depending on local practice) Most of them are plain cloth aprons.

Originally posted by Nygdan

I thought that different offices within the Lodge have their own Aprons and that that made up the bulk of aprons?

Nygdan,

You're exactly right. Sorry 'bout that. Again, it was pre-coffee!
Many Lodges DO indeed have "Officers" aprons. Often these have blue borders (some refer to the Craft or Symbolic Lodge as the "Blue" Lodge) with the emblem of the particular office on it. Not all Lodges do this, but I'd speculate that the majority of them do.

Here's a good example:

www.lafsco.com...

Often, Past Masters (those who've served as Presiding Officer of the Lodge) have their own aprons as well.

www.lafsco.com...

The aprons, caps and jewels of the Scottish Rite (USA-Southern Jurisdiction) along with a snippet about the degrees are shown here:

www.scottish-rite-mn.org...

top topics

join