It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

discussion on "the oregon vortex" and other anomalies...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
while reading up on 'lost' (the television show) i came across what is called "the oregon vortex"...

while reading a first-hand account of this place, i became amazed (and shocked) that a place with this potential actually exists on earth...

here is some info for ATSers that are new to this (myself included):

The Oregon Vortex is a roadside attraction in Gold Hill, Oregon in the United States. It is notable for its presumed paranormal properties, which are caused by a fascinating and convincing optical illusion of the gravity hill type.

It is said that a gold assay office built there in 1890 slid from its foundation, coming to rest at an odd angle. (This claim is readily disputed, because the boards have been cut at odd angles unnatural for a normal house construction.) Visitors to the structure subconsciously assume that its walls are vertical and its floor level, since those rules apply to every other building they have visited. This erroneous assumption provides the illusion of a localized gravity anomaly, as objects seem to roll uphill or balance at odd angles. The same phenomenon is demonstrated in Pennsylvania's Laurel Caverns and at Santa Cruz, California's Mystery Spot.

Many of the "paranormal events" based on visual information are well known optical illusions. The most famous illusion involves two people changing in relative heights depending on where they stand. This effect may be due to a distorted background which results in a forced perspective. It can be replicated with an Ames room.

Many believers claim that the site is truly paranormal. Some people find relief for back pain at the Vortex; others become dizzy. It is said to be at the intersection of ley lines, at the boundary of geomagnetic fields, and in an actual gravity anomaly. The effects are said to be strongest when the moon is full.

after reading this first-hand account, i quickly googled "the oregon vortex" and this page was the first hit:

www.oregonvortex.com...

here is a little video from that site:

www.oregonvortex.com...

additionally, here is the first-hand account:

I visited The Oregon Vortex last summer and experienced the phenomenon for myself. The first thing I noticed was how dizzy I felt the whole time I was there. It's indescribable how creepy the place is.

There are 3 distinct places on the property that have magnetic anomalies. They explain that there are several places in the world where north and south magnetic poles cross causing odd occurrences.
I was chosen out of the crowd for the 1st one. You stand on a platform that has a wooden pole with a measuring stick attached to it. The tour guide asked me how tall I was, to which I replied, 5'8". When I put my back to the pole (after I removed my shoes) I measured 5'10". She verifies that the measuring stick is accurate by taking out a measuring tape and comparing the two.

Some of the stunts there are optical illusions but the platforms are really bizarre. The tour guide will demonstrate that they are indeed level by placing a bubble level on the surface.

They also have geographical surveys done once a year to verify that the platforms are level, with a framed certificate next to each site.

here is a picture:

what might be the cause of it???

are there any other places like this in the world???

is this a magnetic anomaly???

it's time to discuss

[edit on 28-7-2006 by they see ALL]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hows it going..
I live very close to the Oregon Vortex, and I can tell you first hand the effects are real. When I go I feel very strong effects on my body and mind as well. Its amasing and indeed many other people and animals as well feel effects there. Ive seen countless people get sick to there stomach, some very dizzy, some feel like there body is spinning but there head is not. Visual effects are strange there as well. The whole "shrinking" thing is very real.. And not just the demonstration areas, but we have conducted or own experiments there as well. I have the chance to go there in the winter months also, and thats a time where "tourists" are away for the most part. And the effects are always strong.. Ive met local indian elders that have told me long ago, that area was to be avoided because "spirits" were able to materiallize and phyisically do things to our realm in that area. Also one time I was watching a herd of elk walking towards the area, and they acually went way..way out of thre way to avoid it.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   
very interesting lucidvisions...

thanks for sharing

i will be so bold as to say that the stories from those indian elders (about the spirits) are the result of this weird anomaly (but this could be saved for a different thread)...

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
hehe i actualy found ATS while searching clue for ABC's Lost. But this vortex i can understand why u found that out.
It is very weird, i wonder if this whole dizzyness is produce by the optical illusion created. I was wondering if you can perceive any noise from it?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
OMG!! Is every poster in this forum blind?

This is all just an optical illusion!!

These things arent actually rolling up hill, they are rolling downhill but the surrounding objects make it appear as if its rolling uphill.

The tall/short illusion is just based on the Ames Room ... if you look at the board they are standing on you can see its twisted to appear flat when actually its not. Basically its just perspective.

It just shows how little people read external sources!! It clearly says "Visitors to the structure subconsciously assume that its walls are vertical and its floor level, since those rules apply to every other building they have visited. This erroneous assumption provides the illusion of a localized gravity anomaly, as objects seem to roll uphill or balance at odd angles." and "Many of the "paranormal events" based on visual information are well known optical illusions. " ... Come on people, read the original post before posting yourself!

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by gfad
OMG!! Is every poster in this forum blind?

calm down...

we are having a discussion...

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well its not much of a discussion if you answer your own question in the very first post!

There is no discussion ... there isnt even any question about how this works.

Gravity is undefiable, whereas the human brain is!

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I went to a similar attractoin in West Virginia called the Mystery Hole. It was REALLY freaky. It made you feel very disorientated and kind of dizzy. If you are ever near one of these attractions check it out, its kind of hard to explain.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Actually theres nothing adnormal about the Oregon Vortex. I've been to the Mystrey Spot in Michigan (looks exactly the same) and it wasn't all that great. I was watching the Discovery channel and all the weird gravity is due to the house being built on a hill. The high fences are there to disguise the surroundings.

Link

There's one link that can explain the Oregon Vortex, but I'll try to find something better.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kellter
I went to a similar attractoin in West Virginia called the Mystery Hole. It was REALLY freaky. It made you feel very disorientated and kind of dizzy. If you are ever near one of these attractions check it out, its kind of hard to explain.

You found it disorientating and it made you dizzy because the optical illusion cant be perfect from all angles so your brain found it difficult to compute what you were seeing. Its not some sort of strange force!

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a very weird (and rare) optical allusion is still a great explanation for this place, for me at least...

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by gfad

Originally posted by Kellter

You found it disorientating and it made you dizzy because the optical illusion cant be perfect from all angles so your brain found it difficult to compute what you were seeing. Its not some sort of strange force!

gfad,
You are so D*&^&&^&&!"
It is caused by "Virtigo!!"

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   
D*&^&&^&&! ?

Vertigo is a major symptom of a balance disorder. It is the sensation of spinning while the body is stationary with respect to the earth or surroundings. With the eyes shut, there will be a sensation that the body is in movement, called subjective vertigo; if the eyes are open, the surroundings will appear to move past the field of vision, called objective vertigo...

Vertigo should not be confused with dizziness. Dizziness is an unpleasant feeling of light-headedness, giddiness or fuzziness often accompanied by nausea.

Vertigo is different to dizziness induced by an optical illusion, not much different, but still different.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   
in the second picture, the person on the left is standing approximately 10 inches behind where the guy in the first picture was. they are also leaning in one direction, towards the left in the second picture but not the first. since the board is on a slope, the guy in the second picture is lower in comparison, and him leaning back like that makes the difference in height more noticeable.
*edited with pic*
notice angle a = angle b

[edit on 30-7-2006 by jprophet420]

[edit on 30-7-2006 by jprophet420]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   
You know...
You can take the measurements of both of them, and when it is said and done, "take thier measurements again..."
Thay are the same!! (Measurements bfore the "Viritigo)

Optical illusion, "Thats it!!"

LOL....You guy's kill me!!

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Allred5923, do you not realise that me you and jprophet420 all agree that its a optical illusion.

(For the record its vErtigo not vIrtigo)

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Ok guy's , I have been doing a long battle of the intellectual being!!!LOL

top topics

join