It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An ADF officer view from inside the invasion of iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Brigadier now Major General Maurie McNarn was the commander of Australian forces during the invasion of Iraq. He was a witness to conversations between American and Australian leaders.

www.news.com.au
AUSTRALIA intervened to stop key US military strikes against Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq, fearing they might constitute a war crime.
Major General Maurie McNarn, then a brigadier and commander of Australian forces in Iraq, on several occasions played a "red card" against the American plans, which included hits on individuals. His objections drew anger from some senior US military figures.

In one instance, Major General McNarn vetoed a US plan to drop a range of huge non-precision bombs on Baghdad, causing one angry US Air Force general to call the Australian a "pencil dick".

The book also reveals that immediately after the fall of Baghdad, Mr Downer told Paul Bremer, head of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad, that the coalition should leave as soon as it could, while Iraq was in a decent state.

Since then, the Howard Government has argued it would be wrong to "cut and run" from Iraq and says Australian troops will remain there for as long as they are needed

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I dont think that people should heed to much into the term war crime because it would shift away from the differnt perspective that is on offering. Some might see McNarn actions as helping to keep the machine known as the US military in check.

There are other more important implications that people need to think about. Alexander Downer comments to Paul Bremer seem to undermine the theory that the coalition went into Iraq in order to begin the process of the Middle East reforming itself into democratic states.

Did Downer sense that things were going down hill in Iraq and was looking for an out before the coalition became bogged down in quicksand ?

Did the Australian government commit the ADF to the invasion of Iraq without the belief in Middle East reform ?

Its going to be a long time before anybody can make sense of the coalition current middle east strategy.

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au

[edit on 28-7-2006 by xpert11]

[edit on 28-7-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Is that the reason the Australian public was given? The invasion was "in order to begin the process of the Middle East reforming itself into democratic states."

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Is that the reason the Australian public was given? The invasion was "in order to begin the process of the Middle East reforming itself into democratic states."

As far as Im aware the main argument that was sold the Australian public was Iraqs WMDs. The reasons for going into seem to change or have changed every five minutes I think this is due to US leaders failuring to commicate there ideas to people.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'm from Canada and had no idea... thank you. I like this McNarn fellow. This Downer fellow seemed to have a good grasp of the then "near future" too. Yeah, I think this is about the larger M-E thing pretty much. Plans within plans within plans... written way back "special" just for the New American Century crew. BTW, Philip Island is the best track for scoots ever - the keyhole section is unique and soooo fast. Went off twice!

Thanx eh, I'd never have known that if you hadn't posted it here on ATS.

Victor K.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Australia also argued for the US to try to involve the UN as much as possible after the war. However, in a frank conversation with Foreign Minister Alexander Downer on April 1, 2003, US President George W.Bush said the US would get the blame for destroying Iraq and he did not want others coming to rebuild it.

IOW, thanks for all your help, sure makes it all look legit, but we'll just keep the spoils of war for ourselves (remember, this was right after the invasion, when pre-war visions of PNAC sugar plums danced in heads). Afterall, US taxpayer $ should only go to US corporations.

...Howard...was certainly surprised that no WMDs were found, but he had never regretted the decision on Iraq. Removing Saddam was moral justification enough, and it was important that the Americans not think they had to do every difficult thing alone.

Their SAS certainly fought admirably, and the sentiments about not going alone are nice, but it looks like Howard also bought into what Americans bought into, WMD and evil Saddam. ME reform was an American PNAC idea.

Yes, thanks, xpert11, for the post.

top topics

join