It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buy a piece of nuclear testing history.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Dated last month (although i can't imagine there being a mad rush for this place) Johnston Atoll was put up for sale by the Office of Property Disposal.

Johnston Atoll, which consists of "four small man-made islands enclosed in an egg-shaped reef approximately 21 miles in circumference," located 718 miles from Hawaii, is for sale."

For those who are unaware of the history of this property as indeed i was, heres a snippet.

Meanwhile, the atoll's history as a U.S. nuclear test-site is fascinating: "In 1962," CLUI continues, "Johnston was used for a series of nuclear tests as part of Operation Dominic, which included the only U.S. test of an operational ballistic missile with a live warhead. For this test a Polaris missile was launched from a submarine, and traveled 1200 miles through space and the atmosphere, until detonating 11,000 feet above the ocean near Johnston. Also that year, the newly constructed rocket launch pad at Johnston was used for a number of extremely high altitude nuclear tests.

Source: Johnston Atoll

Another lengthy but interesting read from Global Security:

Global/Johnston Atoll info

Not sure whether i'd retire there, but it would make a great conversation subject over dinner!

CX.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
A wonderful conversation starter! Now you must decide, which of your three newly grown mutant heads will hold the conversation!

new topics

join