It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you believe (theory topic)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2002 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There are three main theories concerning evolution. One theory is that God or the gods created everything. Another theory is that evolution is true, but there is some force that is controlling it. Yet, another theory is that evolution is true, and that there are no outside influences. What do you believe?

posted on Oct, 31 2002 @ 06:55 PM
link   
hmm I believe that while "god" might have only designed the creation of our universe and let things go, it took me 10 years of atheism to finally figure out that there IS a god of sorts.

I believe that evolution only guides our course, not any god, however, I also believe heavily in fate, which of course "guides" our lives, but don't know whether or not to attribute it to a god or to some other force

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Oct, 31 2002 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I probably lean closest to theistic evolution. I mostly believe what science says, but I do believe in God. What I believe may not be true, but it is the only way I know to reconcile science and religion.

This topic was moved. I am new here. I guess I'll have to read more topics and become more familiar with this website.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It may not be a pc position, but I believe that God created all there is and is actively involved with his creation, which makes me disagree with evolutionary theory.
I'm strapped for time, so here's two brief reasons supporting (but not responsible for) my position; if I'm wrong, by all means, correct me.

1. Something cannot be its own first cause. Thomas Aquinas made this statement back in the 1300s, and it seems pretty obvious to me. Nothing can create itself. That implies a preexistent creator.

2. Life cannot arise from nonlife. This builds off my first point to a certain degree, but also seems pretty self-evident. If you can figure out a way to get life out of nonliving matter, then write me, because I know of an organization that's offering 50,000 dollars to anyone who can do this.(it may be more by this time, its been a few years since I discovered it)

upward and onward

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I belive that all things were created by God. I belive that we did not evolve. We changed over time but not from monkeys orr apes.

I belive that Jesus will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I belive in the forgivness of sins.

I also belive that heretics, evil-doers, and the faithless if they do not change they will be damned to Hell.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I agree with what you said FreeMason. I have never been an atheist though. The closest I have come to atheism was being agnostic for a few months. I don't think that order can come from disorder. The hardcore supporters of evolution are putting 'faith' into their belief.

I used to believe everything that the Bible says. I do have problems with the concept of original sin though. I also have trouble believing that God would inflict eternal torment on anyone. My attitude toward these concepts lead me to become an agnostic for a while. I was not sure what to believe. Right now, I am studying the beliefs of liberal Christianity, and am looking for a liberal church. I do believe that people will be judged, and that sins will be forgiven. And I do believe in Jesus. I just can't accept the ideas of eternal torment or inherited sin though.

I am not offended at the idea of evolution. If science is right, then it can only be that evolution is controlled by some force, which for me, is God. If evolution is wrong, then science made a mistake. For now though, I stand by the theistic evolution stance.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 03:12 PM
link   
JediMaster, I was talking mostly to you in the second and third paragraphs. Sorry I did not specify.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hello Wannabe. ( what exactly do you wannabe?.)

I would like to just put an answer to the two points that you made.

GOD UNIFORMED AND UNCREATED.

This could be easily explained by figures. All numbers up to infinity are formed out of 1. 2(two) and 3(three) make 5(five). 2(two) is made up of two ones (1,1) and 3 (three) of three ones (1,1,1). Both combined go to form another number, which in its turn is made up of 5 ones (1,1,1,1,1). All numbers except one are, therefore, made up of ones. They are formed numbers. But one is the only unformed number. There is nothing before one. The fact that there is nothing before one does not deny its existence. In like manner, all life proceeded from God. God is, therefore, uncreated and self-existent (unformed), While all the others are created and proceeded from that one life.

To give you another example, with one gas light one could light 10,000 other gas lamps, and each in turn could light another, while the first light burns brightly. With the original gas light one could also loght candles, oil, and petroleum lamps and various other lamps.
God the Father is called the father of all spirits. All kinds of lives proceeded forth and came from him, the one great source of life. God is eternal. He is self existent like the figure 1, the unformed number out of which all other numbers are formed. He alone is the uncreated, while all others are created and proceeded forth and came from him. Let us therefore stand in awe of him.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yes, I believe that God would have had to exist forever, although it is inconceivable and totally mind-boggling.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 05:30 PM
link   
stewards -
sorry about the confusion, i was on a break and didn't have time to make myself clear. My first point came straight from Thomas Aquinas, a Christian theologian, and that was one of his proofs for the necessary existence of God. WHat I meant by "nothing" is the things of this physical plane. I agree that God can only be uncreated and eternal.

hope that clarified my position.

posted on Nov, 1 2002 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yes continuing my stance, hmm I kinda miss atheism, there was so much freedom involved, and I still refuse to look at the universe as being ruled by an almighty god. I like the Celtic ideas, at least, well I guess you'd say Naturalistic, I'm very naturalistic.

Oh they do know life can be created from none live, all you are is organic compounds, with a spark from such as a lightning bolt and presto, you have life in its most rudimentary form.

Hmm back to naturalism...spirits, yes that sums it up, everything has a spirit, we ourselvs are individual spirits, but the whole Universe has a "collective" mind, even when I was an athiest I called this the Great Conciousness, or the Cosmic Memory.

Basically it is all that we are, that we experience, for when we die, all that we've done is embeded in our souls, and we transfer it to this "cosmic memory" and that is where it forever exists. Then in time we are reborn, for we don't lose our individuality, not naturally at least, all though maybe that could go with the good//bad, if you had "evil" experiences then you would lose your individuality, you in a sense would cease to exist.

This is also why I believe heavily in fate, that things do happen for reasons, and that there is an end to our journey, by end I mean a meaning, "the end justifies the means".

Evolution is a natural thing, and "existance" (our souls) takes advantage of it, this universe could not exist by itself, the existance that "recognizes" the universe...that is "god".

I know free masons all share a belief of "Great Architect of the Universe" but I still have a lingering feeling that that GAoTU is just plainly, existance, purpose...and that it's not a literal being with a chisle, carving life out of stone.

Purpose is more important then life, but then....purpose is life
I do feel people have become TOO scientific.

As I always say, people don't live in cities, they hide in them...they hide from their "false" mortality, nothing is mortal, everything is eternal, for if you ceased to exist after you died, you'd not exist now...for the moment. But people have become so "irreligious" that even when they believe in a god or MANY gods, they still hide from their mortality.

It would do people a lot of good, if they'd all take time from their lives, to sit under a tree that's older then human civilization, or to climb a mountain that has been their since the dinosaurs.....we need science to solve the mysteries of the universe, to better ourselves, but we should not lose ourselves in the process. I fear now that already too many have lost themselves in this world of yesterday, no one sees the world of antiquity.

hmm a good quote "Our future is only as far as our eyes can see the past behind us."

Sincerely,
no signature

top topics

join