It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ Researchers Believe Agent Orange Caused Widespread Genetic Damage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
A team of researchers in New Zealand have conducted a study that they believe shows, in greater detail, the extent of the effects of Agent Orange (a defoliant used during the Vietnam war). The group of soldiers studied, all of whom were exposed to Agent Orange in the field, suffered extensive genetic damage, compared to a control group who were not exposed. The exposed are also believed to have passed this damage on to their children, and even grandchildren. The fallout is not limited to American soldiers. Sadly, millions of Vietnamese civilians are believed to have been poisoned by the indiscriminate use of this highly toxic substance. The companies responsible for Agent Orange, Dow Chemical and Monsanto, continue to deny that their product is harmful.

news.bbc.co.uk
The US military sprayed some 80m litres of Agent Orange on North and South Vietnam.

The aim was to destroy jungle foliage in order to find communist fighters more easily.

Agent Orange contained highly toxic dioxins which have since been blamed for causing cancers and other illnesses.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm going to reserve comment on this topic until some folks have read it.

Read the article, read the accompanying information, and draw your own conclusions.

Besides, my feelings about these two companies can best be summed up by loud and lengthy, nearly incoherent streams of obscenities.

Related News Links:
www.thanhniennews.com
www.nzherald.co.nz

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Monsanto Getting Creepier and Creepier
Millions against MONSANTO !

[edit on 28-7-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   
wow thats horrible, absolutely horrible, and why not burn down the foilage jeez, using some super virus to eradicate it + common sense = ppl infected, side effects.
Our goverment and military must be really lazy and retarded

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
i know a man that was affected by agent orange. but it didnt cause genetic affects to his children.thats horrible though. and to think , our own side did it to us. it seems they would have tested it a little bit more before throwing it on the heads and bodies of our soldiers.

im out
-mindtrip02

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
My neighbor after 40 years having health problems finally has been diagnose with exposure to Agent Orange.

Kind of too late now he had to retired 15 years ago because his health problems was so bad . . . Doctors could not give him answers about his blood poisoning problem.

He is now taking dialysis because the damaged of his liver.

He was not even near were the Agent orange was used . . .

But he handle the containers of it when they were loaded into the airplanes . . .

For years he was denied by the government that his problem was even related to the war and his job. . .

Now he has lost a life away on treatments for problems related to it . . .and thousands of dollars.

Very sad.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I lived in Vietnam for two years (2003-2005) and witnessed first hand the effects of agent orange. The legacy lives on, let me tell you. My step-father (a new zealander), a vietnam vet is also suffering the effects. It is a part of history that makes me feel sick to the stomach. There have been many attempts in Vietnam to get the US government to pay some retribution to the Vietnamese people but I guess that will never happen. Most of the Vietnamese that are effected are not allowed in Hanoi and are sent down to the "South".

new topics

top topics

join