It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress is taking off the month of August

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So Congress is taking off the month of August while:

The Middle Eastern conflict is going on
Iran & Syria problems
North Korean situation

It doesn't really matter that much though, I mean they have not done ANYTHING for

Immigration reform
Border Security
Ethics
They "might" raise minimum wage over the next 2 years for the first time since 1996
Inflation

Seriously do we need them? They are dead beats.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Yeah, I know that it is frustrating to have a legislative body that takes off time at the most inconvienent times, but most of them are concerned with re-elections, and August is the time for them to go.

Something I want to keep an eye out for is another Recess Appointment of John Bolton to the UN.

If things get really bad though, they will be called back and put back to work.

Although if you really don't get anything done, it really can't be called work. Work is where your efforts actually accomplish something, right?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Its really just wrong...i wish i got an entire month off just for kicks...and got payed for it.....

If they recess appoint Bolton again I think i will die..... Dont know if you saw Colbert last night but.....can you imagine a Secretary General Bolton.....*cringes*

I really dont believe that they should be allowed to campaign...its like ur voting record should be all the campainging you need....it just doesnt seem right to me....

Maybe we need to pull a V for Vendetta while they are away....all I know is it seems whenever the crap is about to hit the proverbial fan congress takes a break.....grrr hate beauracracy

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
All their really important issues will be dealt with on the golf course.

And then they do really need a bit of time away from the media for
payoffs, bribes, shredding documents, ya know really crucial stuff.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elsenorpompom
If they recess appoint Bolton again I think i will die..... Dont know if you saw Colbert last night but.....can you imagine a Secretary General Bolton.....*cringes*

I really dont believe that they should be allowed to campaign...its like ur voting record should be all the campainging you need....it just doesnt seem right to me....

Maybe we need to pull a V for Vendetta while they are away....all I know is it seems whenever the crap is about to hit the proverbial fan congress takes a break.....grrr hate beauracracy

It'd be nice if it were that simple that we could just take over (I haven't seen V for Vendetta, but I am guessing that is what you are getting at).

Also, I saw Colbert last night, and you know what, I think he was right. We can get the UN in shape...against us. I'm sorry, but I have never had any faith in the UN. To me it is just the League of Nations plus the United States.

Votes unfortunately need to be explained to people anymore. You think that a man's word would be enough, but it isn't.

Of course when that word is as smeared and corroded as the poli-chickens that inhabit Washington D.C....

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Well, Bush usually takes all of August and most of September off every year so what's the big deal? Heck Bush was on vacation for more then a month in 2001. Oh wait that's when 9/11 happened, while he was on vacation. Hmmm, maybe they need to reconsider taking such long vacations.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
So "The War To End All Wars" escalates in the Middle East and our esteemed leadership gets the Hell out of town, now that's comforting.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Congress. Know what that word should go under in the dictionairy? Joke.

Congress takes time off, big deal honestly what the hell have they done to better our nation. Raking up the debt, debating issues and never actually getting anywhere, bribes and scandal. When they finally do something right like stem cell research the damn president vetoes the one thing they actually did! Empires fall for reasons like this, the fact that a mass of power is placed in the hands of the corrupt few that don't use the power for efficient reasons. It would be wise for Americans to understand we are not immune to the political plagues of history. America, like every empire before it will come to a halt one day, whether it be from fiery wars or a dissolving of the government from debt or a power seize because lets face it, congress is in fact useless right now and a one man show while bad for us would get things done. That is the problem that will infect all democracies world wide. A two hundred year old system that compared with history is just a child and already the massive corruption is amazing. From bribes to re drawing districts so incumbents have a 90% success rate. It is sad, you literally have to kill your intern to not get re elected.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It definitely is a problem. It is like one big black hole. Filled with incompetent mental rejects. And that goes for both Democrats & Republicans.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Imagine if everybody took work off in August; wouldn't they see how stupid their "vacation" is?

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yes but they probably got a tip. "Get the heck out of D.C. cause Bush&Co are planning another staged Terror Attack."

Of course what do you expect? To cold in the winter to be hijacking planes. At least Bush waits till summer when the heat fries your brain so you're ready to fly a plane into an air-conditioned building just to get out of the heat.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Traditionally, in the months of July and August, Congress would recess for these two months because the summer heat and humidity of Washington D.C. is unbearable and nasty. Of course, this was back in the days before central air conditioning. It used to be a necessity, as heat injuries and deaths were very commonplace in the hot and humid regions of the U.S. Washington D.C., being built on a virtual swamp, becomes a hot, steaming humid nightmare in August. And think also back in the days before air conditioning, there were also no decent sanitation and sewers. So Washington back then became a literal cesspit, as opposed to the proverbial cesspit it is today.

Now that we got a bit of history out of the way.............

We are now in the 21st century. We have central air conditioning. Sanitation is great. Capitol Hill is air conditioned and has all the luxury accomidations every scheming, slimeball politican could ever hope for. And when they leave work, their elegent, plush homes are also airconditioned with plumbing.

Basically, Congress is holding onto a tradition that was once formed of necessity because of climate, instead of adapting to the 21st century. But what would you expect?

You no that joke that gets passed around. If pro is the opposite of con, then progress is the opposite of congress?

Sounds pretty accurate to me!

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Taking care of business is not a vacation. Checking in on local offices, meeting with constituents, and the never ending campaining...remember these people are up for election every 2 years.

Just because they are out of Washington does not mean they are out googing off.

That is what they do when they are in Washington!

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
... their elegent, plush homes are also airconditioned with plumbing.

Thanks, Skad. That was my LOL moment for the day.

Good joke too.

You no that joke that gets passed around. If pro is the opposite of con, then progress is the opposite of congress?

It is accurate.

How much brush needs cleared down at the ranch this year? Poor Jr, all eyes will be on him too.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
While they're gone DHS and NSA will install a vast array of special high security monitoring equipment to detect any sudden elevation in brainwave patterns.

[edit on 30-7-2006 by FallenFromTheTree]

new topics

top topics

join