It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Wildfires effect on economy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I heard the tv news talking about how this is going to impact the nations ecnomy. I bet the biggest impact will be it will gove oil companies a reason to raise prices. I am sure that gas prices will go up in the next couple of weeks and they will blame the wild fires. It seems like they will raise prices over anything they can. The big problem is the increase in gas prices will result in more profits to the oil companies and the people in Cali will not see a penny from it.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
unbelievable innit?

they use the precious water supplies to make wine to export..and insist on driving huge gas guzzling motors...global warming effects ensue (quelle surprise!!!) ...the land becomes tinder dry...fire spreads... not rocket science, really, is it? Just cause and effect.

Ah well...Arnie can sort it out. Im surprised he hasnt put all the fires out single handedly...but then, this aint the movies, is it?

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The price of fruits and vegetables will probably go up. We are getting smoke from California here in Nevada today. It was so bad this morning that you couldn't even see the Las Vegas strip, on the web-cams.

Some of the firefighters from Nye County are on their way to California.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   
sorry to hear that, MountainStar

I hope you and yours are ok

as an environmentalist, we've been warning about this kind of disaster for decades, and received ridicule and scorn as a result.

A terrible tragedy, not just for the people concerned, but for the animals and citrus groves, the countryside, etc...the most tragic thing is that all this could have been avoided, if we chose the right course of action. This has been ignored, and we are now witnessing the results. Usually it effects the Third World, so no-one cares. Only when it hits the rich and the white middle classes do people sit up and take notice, and it finally becomes a top story on the News.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Think back to the Oakland fire. Around the same ammount of damage. All we need now is a hurricane to hit the gulf.

The destruction will cause a building boom. And they will have to replace those damaged cars too.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Thanks mystra. The smoke is pretty thick and more is expected tomorrow. They are advising people with lung problems to stay inside.
I heard the bark beetle ate the bark off a lot of the California trees and made them burn faster. Your right they sure take notice when a several million dollar home goes up in smoke.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
~You feel sorry about me. I can't go outside without noticing how crappy it is. The ash was falling for about two days straight where i live. And boy was it just terrible for the longest time. Today was the first day in about a week when most the smoke passed us up. My uncle is up at the san bernardino fire right now. He's a firefighter/paramedic and I wish him all the best. Hopefully this ends soon........

Regards,
Jeff

top topics

join