It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Human Rights group "asks" US to close all Secret prisons.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
In what has become an increasingly impotent UN, the Human rights watch arm of the UN has once again asked for the United States to close down its secret prisons as they are Illegal under UN convention and International Law....the United States has stuck to its party line of, its on our soil and you can't do anything about it line. Because this group has no legal authority there really isn't much that the UN can do and considering the last US report on itself was 7 years late it really appears that US does not care what this group thinks.

today.reuters.com
A United Nations human rights body told Washington on Friday to close any "secret detention" centers for terrorism suspects, saying they were banned by international law.

Declaring it had "credible and uncontested" reports of such jails, the U.N. Human Rights Committee said the United States appeared to have been detaining people "secretly and in secret places for months and years".

"The state party should immediately abolish all secret detention," it said, echoing a similar demand in May by the U.N. Committee Against Torture. In its findings on U.S. observance of the U.N.'s main political rights' treaty, the committee said that the International Committee of the Red Cross must be given access to anybody held during armed conflict.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well I certainly wish that a weak impotent group like Human rights watch could reign in the United States I feel quite confident that this latest condemnation will not be resolved and will be swept under the rug as usual. I grieve for my country and the things that are being done in her name. I feel for future American soldiers who are captured in the "broader war on terror" and, because of our government's utter lack of responsibility in interrogation and prisoner detention, will be tortured and killed.

My fellow countrymen I ask you....is this more important than Gay Marriage....is this more important than Flag Burning.....is this more important than the host of topics our congress has discussed in these last few years. We have been segregated and divided into small ultra-fundamental groups which have been told not to cooperate with each other.... This is what happens when we stop holding our Government accountable. The UN is not just talking to GWB and his administration....they are talking to We the People of this once great nation.....It is our moral and civic duty to stop this....the United States is not a Human Rights violator.....

[edit on 28/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

new topics

join