It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death - The Grim Reaper, Is he waiting for you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Death to many is something to fear because its the great unknown, it comes with a sinister stigma or image, many cultures and religions all over the world have ways of coping with the one thing all men and women will one day have to stand face to face with, the greatest of unknowns "Death".

The fact is that we are ALL going to have to take the plunge of death. Through out time human kind has delved into the deepest and darkest places in there minds and imaginations to try and find an answer to death, or to give it a face and to better understand that dark and frightening thing that we all put to the back of our minds, but know that one day we will all have to take the plunge into that "dark" unknown.

To many death is a dark and sinister and unforgiving and unrelenting shadow, so you can probably see how the modern idea and image of what The Grim Reaper or Death looks like comes from, its a dark figure holding a scythe, dressed in a black hooded robe, with a skull for a head. How did this image come about, and is there really a ghostly figure called Death ready to introduce him self to us when our flame has eventually been extinguished?

The image of death or of The Grim Reaper probably comes from human kinds fear of dyeing, many people want to live forever and the fact that they know they cant live forever has caused them to give a face to that nasty obstacle that stops them from being able to stay alive for good, so of course the picture that is going to be painted by a death fearing society is going to be that of a scary and mysterious one.

The Reaper is seen to be carrying a scythe, the idea of this comes from the idea that when death comes to us he’s coming to chop down the living and to sever the soul from the body. The scythe is used for chopping down crops so the image of The Grim Reaper and his scythe would indicate that its seen as death coming and "reaping his harvest" his crops being the souls of the just departed.

The Reaper is not just seen as a figure to meet at ones own death, but its also seen as a warning to the living, that if they don't change there ways then "death" is just around the corner, so he can be seen in a positive light too.

Many people who claimed to have been visited by The Reaper say that he was totally silent and did nothing except pull out an old watch on a chain or an hour glass and is said to gently tap on it like the seconds ticking away all the while not saying a word, but even though he says nothing the message is perfectly clear to the person seeing it. His skull like face probably comes from the skull symbolising deaths myth, so it would make sense that people would see the Reapers face as a skull.

Many people might see The Reaper as the sinister man in a black robe because that is how they view death, so the reaper will probably show him self to each person how that person views death personally, if someone longed for death or did not look at death as something to fear then I can imagine then death would probably show them selves to them people as something more pleasant looking. Death is what we want him (or it) to be.

The image of the grim reaper in a long robe comes from the garb of Death or the black mourning robe first seen in the 1500s, in them times a monk would stand over the dyeing persons bed, so again the images of things people have seen surrounding death have been associated with how people view The Grim Reaper, which is why he looks a little like a monk dressed in an Abbot.

The belief in The Grim Reaper probably goes back to ancient times. In Greek mythology you have the god Chronos or Cronus also know as "Father time" who could also be seen carrying a scythe and his saying was "nothing lasts forever - except time(death)". The word ‘corone’ to the Greeks (translated to English) means crow, so its no wonder that the crow is also associated with death, and is also seen with The Grim Reaper.

In Christianity the four knights of the apocalypse where four riders named Pestilence, Famine, War and Antichrist and will ride on horse back over the sky’s of the earth when man finally becomes to his doom, all supposedly look like the common image of The Reaper as skeletal like figures in black hooded robes.

Even though many people fear the Reaper and death, its probably better when your time comes not to fight and struggle with him, but to take him by the hand and let him lead you to your new life (where ever you believe that life is to be).

Think about if death never existed, and dyeing was impossible, soon the population would become terribly over crowded and homelessness, poverty, and famine would make the world a hellish type place, I think it would not be too long until man started craving the very thing that most of us fear today.

Can you imagine if that nasty sinister figure "death" gave up his job tomorrow and became a doctor? People with horrific and normally fatal injuries, such as being beheaded or a person with 100% bodily burns would not be able to be released form there suffering and pain, because there is no longer someone or something called "death" to do his job, and the now doctor (once death) would not be able to do anything for the suffering of those in eternal pain, other than to take back his old job as "death" The Grim Reaper.... Doesn’t sound like such a bad chap now after all does he?.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Death is an often beautiful, misunderstood thing. Who really wants to live forever?

The image of death, in the guise of angel or reaper has always been one I find beautiful. Death is a natural part of life, and is but one step on the never ending journey of the soul.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Death is an often beautiful, misunderstood thing. Who really wants to live forever?

The image of death, in the guise of angel or reaper has always been one I find beautiful. Death is a natural part of life, and is but one step on the never ending journey of the soul.

everything she said...

I have never understood the preoccupation with this inevitability. I am enjoying this life(thusly, I am in no rush to die) but I never worry about dying.. I worry more about living in tyranny..but thats just my personal preoccupation.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Agreed TONE and Skadi.

I myself had alto of thought regarding this.

About 4 years ago i was diagnosed with a heart problem called HOCM's or sudden death syndrome. After hearing that i was convinced i would die Young, even though the risks dropped to next to nothing once they start medication. For about 8 months i was really depressed and couldn't physically do much as a result of the condition, which made it worse. In the end i came to the realisation that if i was gonna die there was nothing i could do to stop it so why worry. Now although i don't want to die, i am not afraid of it.

Plus my belief system states i will probably end up back here again anyway lol.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by picklewalsh]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Glad to hear you doing better

It is often times that the near death experiences we have bring us to terms with our own mortality. I have had a couple brushes with it in my youth. I am glad that you came through the experience with a higher understanding and perspective.

*EDIT ADDITION
Also I toobelieve we will come back again and again and again.. just not necc. back to 3rd dimension, linear time(aka earth). I like to think of this more in-line with A. Einstein's theory that energy never dies it merely changes.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by TONE23]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Interesting read Pw, and really makes you think of the concept of death,

I guess it is something i dont fear untill im faced with it myself, though i would put that down to feeling that i have things still to do here, and an attachment to my family,

Id be lying if i said i was ok to face it, But it is something i try to think about and prepare for,

death is used as a fear tool and has been used through the ages,

Again Great post and very interesting read,

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Great Info on the Grim Reaper. I have had 2 dreams and I remember them as plain as day. I don't ususally remember too many dreams. I won't forget those ones though. I would be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of death, but I agree I don't want to be ruled by tyranny crap anymore. The Raven is my spirit animal and I look at the Grim Reaper in the same way. They are the bringers of death that in turn give new life. I better not get stuck in the astral plane when I die cuz if I do I will be calling on the Raven to take me out of there and protect me. I don't think I'll get stuck there though, but if I do I will be a mean pissed spirit if something tries to get me.

My wife's favorite song is Don't Fear The Reaper by B.O.C., we have both wanted to die many times but have hung in there. Long live the rebellion, hail the reaper! Personally I like the reaper and I am not afraid of it to much. It's hard to explain what I mean and I don't want to ramble. The reaper makes a great tatoo. The reaper probably jams on the guitar too, and has some killer moonshine.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Death is the only certainty in life....

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I knew a person who dreamed of the figure, death. Well he too it very serious and had it in his mind and was on the look out. He suffered a heart attack but lived.

I knew another that had dreams and ignored it for whatever reasons. he died in his sleep.

I think we are told in various ways before our time and we are left with a choice. I think the signs are always there but depends on the person.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I doubt there is some hoodie skeletor waiting for the right moment to axe me, however I hope the bug appreciate my corpse when its put in the ground, no need to mummify me, let the earth consume me.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
.... are the only certain things in life and I'm certain most of the global population don't wish to face either.
I have no fear of death. Many people in my personal and occupational circles have died this year; nine to be exact and all but one ( my father ) years younger than myself. All are sadly missed. I see each one as a shooting star disappearing in my personal nightsky.
Throughout the journey of our life from conception until the bell tolls for us I believe we must leave a personal legacy which is not necessarily financial. The wisdom, wit, deeds, advice and many more attributes of the individual can shape and touch lives in a way that can live on in others and, possibly, impel others to continue.
The doomsday clock is ticking away for us all. We have no solid evidence of reincarnation nor (if you subscribe to a religeon) a 'better place'. Those of us who are atheist will, no doubt have their own thoughts on this subject.
I leave two trains of thought here.... Live for today, tomorrow never comes. Beware you neither know the day nor the hour.
Live life, love life and strive to be happy as far as we know we don't have a second chance.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
To be honest, I don´t think the "Grim Reaper" is such a bad guy... The movies and cartoons with some wacko with a sycthe (?) is over dramatization. He´s the kind of guy who brings your family along to greet you when it´s your turn to go...

A new day is never promised, so you just need to make sure you appreciate everything and everyone and try to lead a happy and fulfilling life. (Something which I need to start doing!)

-SS2682

top topics

join