It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BET - Black Entertainment Television

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I find issue with the concept of BET. What do they mean by "Black Entertainment Television" ? What kind of reprobates would want to divide their audience according to color ? When people like Imus get called for saying "hoe" why does "WHITE" America tolerate things like "Black Entertainment Television" ?

Does the need for having a separate "Black" TV mean that this community is somehow "special" and has unlike the rest of the world that thrives on the standard US Tv and Hollywood, doesnt deem what we watch as worth of their standard ? I can understand TV in another language but "Black" TV ?? I Imagine they are filled with the "Chapel" show and "Chris Rock" making "white jokes" as their "Black Entertainment" ! Its not like they learn about their heritage or anything useful in it anyway. I bet none of the programs are in Swahili or any of the other African languages or talk about Africa and its tribal cultures. And the White community is accused of being "racist" !

The sooner people in this community stop considering themselves as something different or special the sooner we will see a decline in "racial" problems across the board. Entertainment has nothing to do with what color your skin is. Its not like this is about heritage or culture, if it were there would be Bantu Americans and Zulu Americans etc but instead they have choose the crassest of distinctions; by color all the while saying there is no distinction between people of different color.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What about CMT?

Are you saying that Country Music Television is not aimed at a white target audience? They may not say "WHITE" in the title, but cmon, we're all adults.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
What about CMT?

Are you saying that Country Music Television is not aimed at a white target audience? They may not say "WHITE" in the title, but cmon, we're all adults.

Country Music Television is about Country Music and never about race. The shortage of black people on that is because there are hardly any black people who sing country music just as there are very few white rappers. What makes you think it is for a white target audience ?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Maybe it's "The dukes of Hazard" reruns that play all night and day. Maybe it's the Blue Collar comedy tour that's been running back to back for the past week. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter because it's all owned by Viacom, and it's all dribble for the masses.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Maybe it's "The dukes of Hazard" reruns that play all night and day. Maybe it's the Blue Collar comedy tour that's been running back to back for the past week. Whatever it is, it doesn't matter because it's all owned by Viacom, and it's all dribble for the masses.

You would prefer "The Benjamins" and "Chris Rock" as an appropriate substitute?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Its a targeted demographic certain channels are aiming to. What is MTV's demographic, what about Cartoon Networks, Lifetime, WE, Bravo, Spike, PAX, ABC Family. Why are you arguing about a channel that has a specifically designed demographic. Get made at Lifetime for focusing all there programming towards women.

I think the biggest issue is that black America wants to associate them and be defined by what is on BET. You are letting your skin color define you. As bad as this sound BET is promoting racism by promoting a black culture. Since they are "representing" the black community they define what a black person should be. This is the same with Al Sharpton or any other Black organizations. They define what a black person is and how they should act. This is why there is racism. The black community promotes being sectionalized. Let each person define himself and let the rest of the people look at that person as an individual and not as a black person.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
IT is not a question of if a channel is concentrating on demographics but rather what they deem as their demographic. Cartoon Networks, Lifetime, WE, Bravo, Spike, PAX, ABC Family etc all have demographics that are not divisive. Any kid can watch cartoon network any woman can watch lifetime or any man if they so choose. Hell lots of adults watch cartoons. Anybody from any race can watch the Playboy channel . These are not divided by race. That is the distinction . Its like asking if opening a White folk's Mc Donalds or Black Man's Fried Chicken is okay ??

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What is stopping me from enjoying BET though? Yes it has a demographic but like the others i listed it is not exclusive. I could enjoy rap, black comedy, and black movies. I dont see a strong difference though between BET and Lifetime.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I don't watch BET and I am not aware of its content to any degree that qualifies me to say much about it.

I will only speak as to the general idea of a "black" station and what the value or lackthereof might be.

Does the phrase "Race Music" ring a bell? If so, keep your mouth shut or risk giving away your age. They changed it to R and B and then a particular genre there with other influences grew into Rock n Roll.

It couldn't have happened without small time, demographically targeted labels. There was an establishment in the entertainment industry which was firmly dug in and going nowhere.
If not for people identifying a niche market for hill billies and blacks, respectively, we would still be listening to assembly line manufactured piano music ala Tin Pan Alley.

Of course the mainstream, political and entertainment, started killing or having musicians arrested and eventually we were right back to manufactured music from manufactured Italians from Phili.

Then there was a rebellion, partially because Bob Dylan gave the Beatles a peice of his mind, and the Beach Boys of all people decided to pick up the gauntlet the Beatles had thrown down, and the art came back.

Then the industry managed to get the artists back in the box again.

They got rap into the box relatively quickly when it really grew legs.

Now with BET owned by Viacom, I don't think it's got the same odds of fulfilling its promise, but in theory, independent stations that corner the market on particular segments of our culture, giving them a niche within which to develop and create things that may eventually influence the mainstream is a good thing.
If the truly gifted artists in the genre (some are manufactured and others are legitimate masters of the art) were given some freedom to experiment there, they just might help orchestrate the next big breakout for musicians.

If I had to pick a longshot at this point, I'd say that if another Eminem (who would probably have to be black) showed up who was less about shock value but still wasn't afraid to stray from the formula from time to time, it could lead to something.

Personally I think it would be hillarious (and, possibly very productive) if Metal and Rap gave birth to something new the way Country/Folk and RnB did with Rock. When hill billy music met black music, the product was one of the places where racial integration moved fastest at the time. If skinhead music met gangsta music... well I think there would be a few shootings first, but in a generation or so it just might pay off.

Just saying, the concept isn't entirely indefensible, despite being questionable in plenty of ways, especially as practiced.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I think the biggest issue is that black America wants to associate them and be defined by what is on BET. You are letting your skin color define you. As bad as this sound BET is promoting racism by promoting a black culture.

I think I have to stop you there. Black America has little to nothing to do with what is put on BET. And Black America, as far as I know, don't define themselves as a whole by 50cent, and Nelly any more that White America defines itself by the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync.

Since they are "representing" the black community they define what a black person should be. This is the same with Al Sharpton or any other Black organizations.

I think this is where te confusion lies. BET is not a black organization. It's a white organization, run by white people, deciding what is black. No matter how you try to spin it, Viacom is not a black organization. That puts a whole different spin on your next point.

They define what a black person is and how they should act. This is why there is racism.

The black community promotes being sectionalized. Let each person define himself and let the rest of the people look at that person as an individual and not as a black person.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I want people to look at me as a black person. I'm not going to ignore it, and I hope others don't either. I allow my merits to define me publicly, but most people have no idea how I define myself. Certainly, anyone who knows me, knows that BET in no way defines me, and I think it's a stretch to think that many people define black people as they see them on BET.

Do I define all women by lifetime? All children by Nickelodeon? All teenagers by MTV? All white people by CMT?

If people allow Viacom to define the population, then we're (everyone) is in deeper $#!+ than they realize.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
You are letting your skin color define you.

I have extremely mixed feelings about this statement. I agree with it, but I think it's both a negative thing and something that I can understand and support. I think many black people relate to the oppression and racism they have and are still experiencing. And when "a people" (whether it be blacks, gays or women) are oppressed, there's a tendency to be defined by the reason for the oppression.

Women form clubs and "groups" so they can hang out and talk about women things, without feeling oppressed. Gay people have parades to express they "gayness" together and relate to that in a celebratory way. Black people like to recognize what they have in common with other blacks and validate and affirm each other.

Since white people aren't generally oppressed, you don't generally see them getting together to celebrate their "whiteness". Except in the case of the white power groups, which get formed because they feel the threat of oppression by other races and religions.

So, while I understand the desire for blacks to have special a TV station, magazines, college programs, etc., I DO think it is divisive in that it promotes the idea that blacks generally are entertained by something different than whites; that blacks have a different sense of humor than whites. That blacks are a different species than whites. That they somehow don't "fit" into the American Culture and need to divide and separate their own.

On the other hand, many black people so identify with their "blackness" that if you ask them, "Who are you"?, the answer would be "I'm black." First and foremost, in their self-image, they are black. Whereas if you ask a white person, "Who are you"? They might answer, "I'm a teacher", or "I'm a woman", or "I'm a student". "I'm white" rarely would be the first response.

My point is that while it's divisive in my mind, many black people seem to feel they need to have these 'black' things to bond them together with other black people, which I understand, but at the same time, this very bonding causes separation from other races. And if we're all going to be Americans together, I think BET and NAACP, etc., IF ONLY IN NAME are not conducive to the "salad bowl" paradigm of living and mixing together freely in this country, while still keeping our distinctive "flavors".

When a race (or gender, etc) is part of the title, it implies exclusion. Yes, CMT is mostly white people but Charley Pride and Trini Triggs would fit in just fine. Because they're Country. And that's the name of the channel. And Wendell Scott and Bill Lester are known in the NASCAR world. Because NASCAR isn't racially exclusionary. BET is. It excludes other races by it's very name. In my opinion, as much as a Whites Only drinking fountain does.

I think it depends on what black people generally want. (And I realize that they don't all want the same thing.) Do they want to continue the separatism, racism, division? Or do they want to incorporate, not assimilate or deny their culture, but come together as one country with the other races that live here?

I think BET is just part of the transition. When black people feel like they have a voice equal to others in this country, I think these racially divisive institutions will fall by the wayside out of lack of need. I certainly hope so,

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   

BET is not a black organization.

But there's a demand for it, isn't there? I could be wrong about who's demanding it, though...

I allow my merits to define me publicly, but most people have no idea how I define myself.

I think you have an advantage in that area.

If people allow Viacom to define the population, then we're (everyone) is in deeper $#!+ than they realize.

You make an excellent point!

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
BH, I like your salad bowl analogy, but I'd like to take it a step further.

If most of the population doesn't care for tomatoes, does that mean that the tomato is expendable, and can be put on the side? Or removed from the salad all together? What about the people who like tomatoes? The truth is that all too often the tomatoes are left out because 80% of the population don't care for tomatoes, or the plight of the tomato isn't a priority.

Sometimes, we need to have someone tell the chef that the tomato is necessary, and you can't just ignore it, and push it away.

(note: I was going to say "black olives" but thought that would be a bit over the top. I think anyone can be a tomato)

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   

If most of the population doesn't care for tomatoes, does that mean that the tomato is expendable, and can be put on the side? Or removed from the salad all together?

No. If tomato is in the "list of salad ingredients" (which it is), then it is NOT expendable! It is necessary for the full "salad experience".

The salad is served family style (not salad bar style) and includes everything when it comes to the table. If people don't like tomatoes, they can take them out. The salad can only be "customized" by each person if they wish to do so.

The tomato is high in vitamins A and C and fiber and low in cholesterol. Not to mention a good source of Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin and Vitamin B6. They're good for us.

If you don't like tomatoes in your salad, perhaps a nice dish of chips and salsa?

But if you absolutely don't want tomatoes in your life, then that's your choice and you're free to exclude them. But I'm not making a special salad for each person at the table.

(note: I was going to say "black olives" but thought that would be a bit over the top. I think anyone can be a tomato)

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
May I ask this,

In what way is BET exclusionary, aside from having "Black" in it's title? White people are showed often on the network in videos and TV shows. How is it any more exclusionary, and divisive than CMT?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
To me, it's just the word "black". I'm not complaining, mind you. I don't really care that it has "black" in the name, per se. It's just the double standard (you know how I love those). In other words, if "white" were in the title, it would be seen as exclusionary, wouldn't it? It's the catering to a race, the divisiveness that it implies, as if to say that black people like this kind of TV, not the TV white people like... It's the message of separateness.

If BET were called SETV (Soul Entertainment TV) or UTV (Urban TV) I would shut up right now.
(Well, probably not, but you now what I mean). I don't mind catering to a demographic. But race is too varied a demographic, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Personally, I'm more upset with "Black Starz" than BET. That's one that really gets me. All it's running day after day is "How Stella got her Groove back", like it's the be all end all for black entertainment.

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I'm new to this site, and I have always wondered about this also. Double standards will be the downfall of a lot of our civil rights.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join