It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BET - Black Entertainment Television

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well, then, I guess we're back to square one on this issue. This is not a matter of free speech. However, there is a double standard when a conscience matters or not.

Especially when one has to compare different degrees of racism and in what category.

BH, since you have a low bar of tolerance concerning intolerant people, why don't you call her on it? You do have a conscience and an even-minded approach, do you not?

But since you believe in the freedom of speech, all I can say is that truthseeka is right in calling her a liar. He pointed out things that she blatantly didn't tell the truth about in her posts. She presented misleading evidence to other posters. And that is a part of the T and C guidelines as well.

Good luck on telling her of your low tolerance regarding her intolerant behavior. I'm rooting for you.

[edit on 30-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
She presented misleading evidence to other posters.

I musta missed that. I don't see where she lied, truthseeka put words in her mouth. But if you think she broke the T and C, I suggest you enter a complaint. I'm not a mod or the board police. The only people I see breaking the T&C are you and truthseeka by calling another member a liar.

But that's between you guys.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Myself or truthseeka did not mislead anyone in our statements. Flyersfan did lie and attempt to mislead other posters with her information about BET.

Yes, you are not a mod. And you're not the word police. But I thought you possessed a conscience. A good one.

But of course you refuse to act because you believe in a freedom of speech that doesn't depend on having a conscience or communicating the truth. So you remain willingly complicit in continuing 'the big lie" with your agreement of her statements regarding BET. You also aided and abetted her lie with your spoken complicity. That also isn't misconstrued.

Now it's also on you. You're acting as a collaborator in deception regarding misleading and inflammatory statements about BET. With your willingness to agree with her, you are also helping to perpetrate her false and misleading statements to other posters.

The mods are reading this too. Don't forget especially how you're derailing this "wonderful subject" with your actions.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Whatever, BH.

I guess FlyersFan DIDN'T say the racists all go to BET.
I guess she DIDN'T say BET is exclusively black.
I guess she DIDN'T say BET has programs that belittle white people.

I gotta agree with ceci; you sure are picking and choosing when it comes to the T&C...:shk:

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
This will END right now.

Everyone stop the nitpicking and namecalling and focus on the topic of the thread and not judge or label the participants for sharing their opinions and ideas.

Fair Warning issued to all.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Everybody please take one of these.

Consult your local moderator if personal attacks and animosity persist.

This has been an ATS Community Harmony Announcement.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
Hey, dg, the only thing that FlyersFan doesn't lie about is her dislike for Black people. She does it repeatedly and no one, not even you, ever tells her to stop.

So why isn't she any different in this issue centering on the slings and arrows concerning "white privilege?"

[edit on 30-7-2006 by ceci2006]
Flyersfan is a wonderful person, she is a good friend INSPITE OF THE FACT that i'm Hispanic, that i am totally opposed to her when it comes to politics, and she's NOT racist. IMO, she's just sick and tired of some bringing race into everything. I'm not speaking for her, she can defend herself, but the woman doesnt have a racist bone in her body. It does get tiresome sometimes that people of other color or ethnicity keep screaming "race" on every issue.
Anyhow, i'll let her speak for herself.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I agree that it is also tiresome of being "accused" of bringing race into every issue as well.

I also hate being told to "act right" to be accepted. What does "acting right" entail, anyway? Maybe achieving this "equality" thing is not what it's cracked up to be if we have to assimilate to the standards of the dominant culture in order to be "equal".

But of course, this is the reason why I asked my question as a form of truthseeka's defense:

1)She does say things that are inaccurate concerning Black people and their culture--especially about "asking for handouts and social giveaways". That is unacceptable. She should be angry at her own race for asking for handouts and giveaways because white people statistically are the ones mostly getting welfare. So they are the ones begging relentlessly for the government to support them. They are the true "welfare queens". But she won't admit that.

2)She did talk about all "racists" congregating at BET. That is unacceptable, illogical and untrue. With her logic, she is saying that even the KKK are on BET!

3)She is not tired of bringing race into everything because she does it every so often on every thread--especially when it attacks a Black politician. At least you're lucky. She has admitted she is not prejudiced against Latinos and Hispanics (but talks about the "Mexican invasion" and the illegals"). But she has never admitted the same thing toward Blacks. She makes her feelings pretty clear in her tirades against the dignity of Black people.

So, I apologize the way it came out, dg. And she is probably a wonderful person. You probably know a more kind and sensitive side of her we don't know about.

I accept your friendship and defense of FlyersFan, but I'm sorry. She'll just have to prove herself that she doesn't hate Blacks--especially when flatly stating false facts about the content on BET. Her attitude is especially apparent when dealing with this thread.

I will stay on task and speak about this issue, but truthseeka was not pulling his refutations against her post out of thin air. She did make inaccuracies about BET and spreaded them around. And has yet to apologize for her mistakes and continued use of nastily inflicted stereotypes regarding African-Americans.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Ceci and Truthseeka ... GROW UP. I hate black people? That's sick. Just because
I see things that you two refuse to see when it comes to BET that doesn't mean
that I hate black people. Try reading what is posted instead of twisting it around
to suit your agenda.

I stand by my observations - BET is definately EXCLUSIVE for black America.
Absolutely. That doesn't mean that there are 'just' black people on that channel;
but it DOES mean it is EXCLUSIVE for the black community. Even the NAME of
the channel denotes it as being for the black America. So you two seriously
need to get a grip.

And I stand by my observation that bigots and anti-white people are drawn to that
station. I did NOT say that ALL the people on that station are bigots. I said that
the anti-white bigots are drawn to it. I gave just a few examples as requested.
It's a fact so deal with it.

[edit on 7/31/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My view on BET is why bother? What is wrong with a channel that focuses on representing african-americans? Why complain about this? I understand that there is backwards racism, and that there are doublestandards, but I have no problem with BET focusing on black people and their accomplishments. I just wish it wasn't only about music.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What this thread WAS about is double standards. People don't want a "Whites Only" world, but a "Blacks Only" world is OK.

You know ... you are right BH. Previously I said that I don't care that BET exists.
I also said that I think most of America doesn't care the BET exists. If people want
to have a race based exclusive channel on TV .. it's a 'whatever' for me. There are
a hundred channels to choose from and I just won't watch it.

But perhaps that's wrong. Perhaps I SHOULD care. If there was an exclusive
WET channel it wouldn't be acceptable. So perhaps I should care about an
exclusive black channel.

I'm just really having a hard time getting up the energy to care.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This thread has been reopened.

BUT!!

If anyone name calls, attacks other members, breaks the TOS, or derails the thread they will be dealt with in a very stern manner and this thread will be closed immediately.

This is everyones final warning.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by laiguana
I understand that there is backwards racism, and that there are doublestandards, but I have no problem with BET focusing on black people and their accomplishments. I just wish it wasn't only about music.

Please explain backwards racism?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The saddest thing about BET is it gets a free ride. Does anyone know of a cable company that does not carry it? About 10 years ago my local cable company removed the Chicago station WGN, which because of Chicago Cubs telecasts, was one of my favorite stations. It's been 10 years and every April I call them demanding they reinstate it. I even offer to give up 10 channels including BET to get it back. It never happens.

Right now I have about 10-15 channels that I have never watched. Included are BET, 2 MTV's, Food Channel, Speed Channel, and 2 or 3 religious stations. In these days of technology, you would think you would be able to pick and choose the stations you want to have access to. But if that were the case, BET would be out of business.

[edit on 15-4-2007 by RRconservative]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
RR, black people only make up 12% of the population. How would a station that targets primarily to 12% of the population survive against other more population dominant stations, like VH1 and MTV or even Lifetime?

They would literally have to work 5 times as hard to get the half the recognition.

My issue with BET is the people who run it. There was a time when serious news reports and critical content was played regularly on the network. Now there's nothing but bad rap and crappy rollover shows from UPN. Then again, it was run by people who had genuine interest in informing the black community. Now it's run by Viacom. The people who bring you quality content like "The Flavor of Love" and it's successive series "I Love New York" and "Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School" Hosted by Mo'Nique"

It's full of crap making it's viewers dumber and dumber. And the same is to be said about Spike, Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, and any number of channels. Why would anyone want to single out BET when there's a much larger problem to be dealt with?

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If I was black I would be totally opposed to BET and what it represents (rap, R&B, etc.) because that is what is destroying the black community even further. Not only does it create this "gangsta" image that so many black kids try to attain (and some white lol) but also it gives the portrayal to the whole world and all ethnicities this image of black people.

Black Americans are probably the most hated group of people. Now why is that? I don't know, I have a few theories. I definitely think it is their attitude as well as their portrayal in the media.

Most of my black friends are from the islands and get very angry if someone calls them African American, not only are they *not*, but they don't like how "African Americans" are here.

Europeans, Asians, Islanders don't like how black Americans act or are. But it is the white American that is wrong...

Seems a little strange to me.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Black Americans are probably the most hated group of people. Now why is that? I don't know, I have a few theories. I definitely think it is their attitude as well as their portrayal in the media.

Wow dude...

I'm pretty sure I can think of some other, more hated groups, but I'm not about to start a ranking of "Worlds most hated people".

I'd assume that right about now, terrorists may be the most hated people. Or our current government if you're looking at a global scale. But to think that black people are the most hated is a bit of a stretch. Jeez, look at how people are looking at illegal immigrants now.

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'd assume that right about now, terrorists may be the most hated people. Or our current government if you're looking at a global scale. But to think that black people are the most hated is a bit of a stretch. Jeez, look at how people are looking at illegal immigrants now.

The world hates Mexican immigrants? Terrorists are a "people"?

I'm not saying everyone around the world are calling for black people to just be killed or whatnot, but the "darker" you are, you have less worth (African and Asian and Latino countries). Other races having interracial marriages with black people are less accepted than say (white, asian, latino) interracial marriages.

Now like I said, it is partly due to how they act, and how they are portrayed.

[edit on 15-4-2007 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Mods, thanks for reopening this thread.

Originally posted by RRconservative
In these days of technology, you would think you would be able to pick and choose the stations you want to have access to.

You do. It's called a Remote Control with a V chip.

The only thing I watch on BET is the occasional Apollo Theater shows. I haven't seen any for quite a while now, though. Are they still on?

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
It's full of crap making it's viewers dumber and dumber. And the same is to be said about Spike, Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, and any number of channels. Why would anyone want to single out BET when there's a much larger problem to be dealt with?

This is very true. Who is watching TV and rating this crap as what people want to see? These channels are primarily aimed toward children and juvenile delinquents it seems...

posted on Apr, 15 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mooonhoxe
My question is this "Why are these organizations legal?

Moronic. Yes, BET promotes racism. Why not a NASCAR channel, or CSPAN, or a white President.

Whatever. Pointless to debate this.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join