It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BET - Black Entertainment Television

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
What is the correct terminology nowadays?
Is it African American, Negro, Colored, Black, Brown, Brother, Dogg,etc?

It seems that there are certain acceptable terinology for certain social situations. Anyone able to provide some assistance?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CreeWolf
People like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, IMHO are racist.

You betchya they are. Heck ... when Jesse Jackson was a cook he used to
check to see if white people were ordering food and if they were he'd spit
in their food before having it served to them. Now he doesn't spit in our
food ... now he shakes us down for money claiming it goes to help black
Americans when in fact it really goes to support his lifestyle and his women.

A couple of sites that discuss allegations of Jackson racism -www.papillonsartpalace.com...
www.thenewamerican.com...

Judicial Watch on Jackson
www.amren.com...

[edit on 7/28/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Whites are represented by every major group not pre fixed with black or negro.

The reason we have UNCF and BET is because of our ancestors lack of understanding and thought of minorties as the underdogs.

The minorties had to start these "black" groups and org's to give themselves some identity.

Why should they not be able to use black, the word black is descrptive of colour of skin, black people even refer to them selves as black, as is Negro. Us as a society have tagged black people as black's It's not as if they are calling their company "'n-word' entertainment tele" or "United gollywog college fund" now that would be out of order!

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Let's not let this discussion spin out of control. We can discuss these issues with dignity and respect and still be honest about them.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by evo1981
Whites are represented by every major group not pre fixed with black or negro.

What?

The reason we have UNCF and BET is because of our ancestors lack of understanding and thought of minorties as the underdogs.

What?

The minorties had to start these "black" groups and org's to give themselves some identity.

That is not at question. The point was, why are these black organizations accepted while any predominately white organization is seen by blacks as racist/bigot. Also, if whites would try to do the same, media would be in an uproar.

Why should they not be able to use black, the word black is descrptive of colour of skin, black people even refer to them selves as black, as is Negro. Us as a society have tagged black people as black's It's not as if they are calling their company "'n-word' entertainment tele" or "United gollywog college fund" now that would be out of order!

What?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:15 PM
link   
mooonhoxe, I understand exactly what you are saying. I find it a bit unfair also.

However it seems like no one wants to stand up to things like "reverse racism".
White people just seem to put up with it when they experience it, sometimes even join in and encourage it. Black people who don't do it seem to turn a blind eye to it.

It's a vicious circle, what white people have done in this country in the past (and some still do) is awful and uncalled for yes. But not all of us participated in that, not all of our ancestors owned slaves. Even if we do have ancestors that did own slaves or have participated in racist acts in the past, what are we supposed to do? Go back in time and make them cut it out?

I am a human being, I love people. Therefore I don't pick on people based on the color of their skin and I won't tolerate people doing it to me either. People should get jobs and scholarships based on their performance and dedication and not because of how they look or dress.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now!

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Come to Cape Cod. There's an organization here for everything up to and including midgets (Little people)

Flyersfan- You betcha Al Sharpton and the others are very racist. I know a vietnamese girl whose family disowned her because she married out of her race-
ITS EVERYWHERE!!!

Its the racists loss if they cant enjoy people of another color or background.

I just stay away from Trailer Trash, if you know what i mean. Not my element.
Anyone else can apply.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Come to Cape Cod. There's an organization here for everything up to and including midgets (Little people)

Anything for people with extra long schlongs?
I can't find any where I'm at.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality
Anything for people with extra long ....

That's called the GOP.
Just kidding. Had to say that before some dem said
that it was the dems.
dg lives in Cape Cod ... very few republicans in Mass.
It's very blue and very left.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
When I was finishing my undergraduate degree a group of my friends and I were discussing the merits of the better law schools in the country. It just so happened that I was white and was chatting with 5 or 6 of my friends that happened to all be black in the "breezeway" of our university, which was mostly white - actually mostly white and female (I'm male) lol, but that's a different point of minority-ism... I mentioned a very well-known Washington, D.C. law school as my ideal school - though it is traditionally Catholic, and I am Protestant. One of my female black friends just looked at me, shocked, and said something like "Why aren't you going to shoot for Howard? I thought it was the best?!"

The other members of the group just started giggling and I had no idea what to say. As most of us know, Howard is probably the most famous "black" school. It is like the fact of race had completely escaped her, just as the concept of even considering attending Howard escaped myself.

What is a "white" school, not that I care, but schools often tout themselves as having the "most diverse" student population. Then you have members of the majority complain that if their grades and qualifications mirrored or even surpassed those of minority members, they would be rejected in favor of the minority member. We also have very small minorities like the Jews and Asian-Americans that are statistically quite OVER-represented in our halls of higher education.

It is quite ironic that we can't have a WASP channel or White Entertainment Television (W.E.T., tee-hee-hee) but B.E.T. and Women's Television Network (or whatever it's actually called, I am not a viewer
are fine. Doesn't really bother me because it doesn't affect me.

Like others have noted it's also "ok" for minority members to call the majority "slurs" but not vice-versa. Heck, I'd be willing to bet if I went to Kenya or Jamaica or where ever, it wouldn't go over so hot if I started dropping the "N-word" all over the place, even though I would be in the minority. Heck, I don't even know what "honkey" or "cracker" mean when I'm called such. Seriously, do any of you know what they mean? (I'm serious, I have no clue) I don't even know what the "n-word" means or what it's derived from... In fact, the only racial slurs I can figure out are the ones used for Chinese and Japanese people.

Maybe one day we can succeed in achieving unadulterated capitalism where all that matters is what a person can produce/contribute (I'd get flamed if I said profit = progress). If I had a company I'd fill the executive ranks with purple, three-legged, one-armed Venusians if they could produce more than "normal" majority members.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Try "The Society of men blessed with long schlongs"
121 w. Main St
Hyannis, Ma. 02621

Bless you

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm still a little bit mad that I wasn't allowed to join the NAACP a few years ago. Last time I checked white was a color.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

yes actually, its right next to the inflated ego club

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Heck, I don't even know what "honkey" or "cracker" mean when I'm called such.

en.wikipedia.org...

Cracker:

This term is said to have originated in England before the 16th century, refering to the lower class whose diet primarily consisted of "crackers", actually biscuits. Many of their descendants were sent to the Georgia penal colony, hence "Georgia crackers." White people had invented this name for themselves before the first slave was brought to America, although it is still in use today by mostly older blacks referring to whites. Was probably redefined in the days of American slavery by the slavemaster's "Crack" of the whip.

www.rsdb.org...

I can't corroborate these definitions.

[edit on 2006/7/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:36 PM
link   

.... Hyannis, Ma. 02621

um .... that wouldn't happen to be the address of the Kennedy compound would it? I'm sure that they all THINK they should belong to that club ...

Oh gosh .. everyone back on subject ... we are going to get in trouble.

Seriously .. If black Americans want a BET then let them have a BET. Even if it is racist to do so, let them have it. BUT they better not whine if Jewish people or white people or anyone else wants their own TV channel.

And YES BET is racist. It is a network based and run entirely and exclusively on RACE. Therefore it's racist.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wow, thanks Grady! Though I doubt the people that use the terms actually know what they've been derived from... Especially since I'm not descended from Eastern Europe, have only been to Georgia once, have no meat-packers in my line, and my whip is not used for disciplining slaves

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
And YES BET is racist. It is a network based and run entirely and exclusively on RACE. Therefore it's racist.

Yes, but this assessment ignores the real issue: Who cares?

[edit on 2006/7/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Folks may or may not wish to explore who "owns" BET... breadcrumb as follows,

www.democraticmedia.org...

"You can't [scale the heights of the media industry] as a black-owned business; there isn't that much capital. You have to do it as a white-owned business with black management."

-- Robert Johnson, former owner of BET

If you dig deep enough BET isn't quite as "B" as one might think...

Victor K.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Yes, but this assessment ignores the real issue: Who cares?

No one. I highly doubt many people, if any, do at all.

Like I said, if some black Americans want their own TV channel based entirely on race... fine. Whatever. They just don't have a leg to stand on if Jewish folks want their own TV station that shows things from the Jewish point of view; or a White Power station that shows things from a racist white point of view; etc etc.

I don't care. I don't think many folks care. It's a 'whatever'.

Edited to add - oooooooooops .. looks like David Horowitz cares -
www.frontpagemag.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Here's the whole quote:

And even Robert Johnson, former owner of BET-the only black-owned national cable channel-believes that the future of black cable ownership is bleak. In a recent Financial Times (London) article, Johnson stated that blacks must look to white money in order to scale the U.S. corporate heights. "You can't do it as a black-owned business; there isn't that much capital," Johnson said. "You have to do it as a white-owned business with black management."(4)

www.democraticmedia.org...

According to the article, BET is black-owned, not that I care.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join