It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BET - Black Entertainment Television

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Now, I'm not trying to pick on any certain group, but this does seem to be a conspiracy in my opinion. I'm also going to throw in the United Negro College Fund. I'm only naming these two because they seem to be the most well known organizations on which to start this topic.

Minorities are constantly complaining about racism, and yet these organizations exist which are racist in the purist sense of the word. I do not see the legality in them.

If any caucasian wanted to start a White Entertainment Television channel or a United Caucasian College Fund, the process would be killed before it could even get started. Just the mere mention of either one would be suicide for anyone affiliated with them. In my opinion any minority group could start there own "race based organization", and have it accepted, but if the majority race wanted to, they'd be considered racist, and all other races would be rightfully offended.

Just to be fair I feel I must mention that the UNCF is open to all races, but might this just be because they'd get sued for sending out a letter saying "You aren't accepted since you are not of the negro race?"

I've debated about whether or not to title this along the lines of reverse discrimination, but I believe it's basically one and the same. I only chose BET because of its name.

My question is this "Why are these organizations legal?"

I know I might get a lot of flack from this post, but I think it is a serious situation that needs to be addressed. I feel that these organizations only bring us further from absolving racism. I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings by posting this, and I apologize if I upset anyone by posting this.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I have said the same thing over and over.

The only minority left without representation is the WHITE MALE.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by donk_316
I have said the same thing over and over.

The only minority left without representation is the WHITE MALE.

I'm gonna have to disagree with that in part. Just look at the "representatives" that are in our government. White males for the majority. We've never had a President from a minority, yet.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but this thread might need to be moved to Social Issues. I didn't see that option on the ATS homepage when I wrote this. No biggie if it gets moved.

Edited for spelling

[edit on 28-7-2006 by mooonhoxe]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
It all goes back to "affirmative action". This was supposed to be only temporary until racism was pretty much erradicated, BUT, at what point do you NOT need it anymore? Its getting pretty hypocritical. People like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, IMHO are racist. Yet, they can't be, because they are "minorities".
My wife said the smartest thing to her black instructor at college a few weeks ago. It dumbfounded him. When he asked what the best thing people could do to get rid of racism, she replied:

"STOP TALKING ABOUT IT"

Also, keep in mind I consider myself Cree Indian first. But something else she pointed out. People like Condoleeza Rice, who are black and have made themselves successful; they are often called "oreos" by other blacks. Racist in itself if you ask me. Belittle someone because they made something of themselves.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Sadly, this is true, if I was to call a White person at school, say, a KKK, or a Cracker, I probably would'nt get in trouble, but if a white person was to call me a Wetback, or something like that, i am sure that they would get Detention at least, if not a suspension, do I think this is fair, no I do not. Some people say that its because we suffered under Whites for so long, and they say its our turn to harass them. Well, these peole are just wrong, and contradict themselves, I think that everyone should be able to call someone what ever they want. The first ammenant was created for freedom of speech, if it has to be restriced to be politically correct, then is it really Freedom of speech at all?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Exactly! A lot of black people (not so much Hispanic) talk a lot about racism all the time. It is so aggravating. I have told these two people on here, one was ceci something and the other was Harlemharlot or something like that, and they spouted the stupidest things about racism this, prejudice that, bla bla. I told them, YOU ARE CAUSING MORE RACISM. They don't seem to get it. Talking about reparations for slavery, screaming racist all the time, creating black oriented things(such as BET) does more harm than good. It annoys people, and it turns people off from them. I guess they will learn one day

Just an off shoot question, what would Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton, and the NAACP say about "White Entertainment Television" if BET was not created? I think they would make a huge commotion. I think they still would still make statements against it even if it was made now. Time to start making the United White College Fund.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Time_is_now
Sadly, this is true, if I was to call a White person at school, say, a KKK, or a Cracker, I probably would'nt get in trouble, but if a white person was to call me a Wetback, or something like that, i am sure that they would get Detention at least, if not a suspension, do I think this is fair, no I do not. Some people say that its because we suffered under Whites for so long, and they say its our turn to harass them. Well, these peole are just wrong, and contradict themselves, I think that everyone should be able to call someone what ever they want. The first ammenant was created for freedom of speech, if it has to be restriced to be politically correct, then is it really Freedom of speech at all?

These "double standards" is what is wrong with this country's views of racism. The minorities feel like it is their right to backlash the majority with 'racial slurs' I do not like this. I may be a white man, but I take offense to slurs like "cracker" However, minorities get away with saying such things.

Sure, slavery was a problem in the PAST. Why do I have to pay for the sins of my ancestors? My distant ancestors did have slaves, but I haven't had any.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I'm just upset that all of this reverse discrimination is forced upon the majority because the minority is upset about being the minority. No one presently living can change what happened 100 years ago. IT HAPPENED. It can't be changed.

As far as the whole illegal immigration debate is concerned.....there are legal means to becoming an American citizen. Why is it so hard to follow the rules? I personally love the Latin American civilization/culture. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school. That doesn't mean I feel like every Latin American should be a US citizen just by crossing a line . I'm sorry if that upsets anyone. To me, if you break the 1st basic law towards becoming an American citizen, then you should not be allowed/granted citizenship. It's as simple as that!

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Liberal Democracy..... It's all give and take.

We have to compromise, we're sophisticated creatures that have the intellectual capacity to tolerate and accept. A massive period of history has been predominantly "White" history, other cultures rarely got a look in other than as a novelty or otherwise dismissed entirely.

I consider that in a few hundred years time the west will no longer be the west. Our plummeting birth rates will result in us needing more and foreign citizens to support the system, culture will change (for better or worse). That's life. Empires rise and fall, a nation can be unrecognisable over the space of a few decades.

Perhaps the day will come in the future when an "Anglo-Saxon Enternainment Television" station will come on air.......partly to satisfy that "Sullen, xenophobic minority who refuse to integrate".

The world's changing, there's no point getting bitter about it.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I agree, discrimination is still a huge problem in the U.S, but it has been getting better. I don't use the word reverse discrimination because either way you look at it, no matter who it's from....it's discrimination. No need to sugar coat it.

I'm all for BET and Tele Mundo (hot babes), etc. Other than the politics and idiot guest interviews on BET, it's good to go. Let's face it, different races have different taste in entertainment, although they are coming together.

I know I'll catch some flak for this, but here goes.

I think a huge part of the problem is with the mindset that many Americans (mainly Black Americans) have. It's socially acceptable for a black dude to get on stage and mock white people (Dave Chappelle ring a bell?) But it's not ok for a white comedian to 'make fun of' black people. Same thing for the N-word, it's ok for a black guy to drop it....but if a white guy says it his career's over.

Personally, I don't care who says what about who as long as it's out good fun and not intended to piss anyone off.

Yeah, there's issues with all people, it's not only blacks. But since BET was mentioned I thought I would give my .02 on entertainment.

Double Standards

[edit on 28/7/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The irony of the UNCF is that some forty years after breaking the race barrier in higher education, blacks are unwilling to let go of their "traditoinally black" universities. Whites can go to these universities, but from what I've heard, the experience is not a good one for whites. When the Louisiana State University System wanted to merge the historically black and smaller Southern University at New Orleans with the historically white University of New Orleans, the blacks wouldn't have it.

As far as BET goes, it's a business that lives or dies by the free market, just as any business. You can watch it or not.

[edit on 2006/7/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
As far as BET goes, it's a business that lives or dies by the free market, just as any business. You can watch it or not.

Dear Grady,

I think you are wrong. The posters above, it seems, got it right when mentioning the sort of by-laws that exist. If you were to start a SuperWhite satellite channel, I bet you wouldn't be successful for reasons that have little to do with free market.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Tonight's Top 10

What is going to happen in 2045 when Hispanics take over the title of majority race in America?

10. UWDCF (united white dude college fund)
9. GTV (gringo tv)
8. ethnic' american food
7. english radio stations
6. finally being able to speak English in Miami
5. americans taking over south Cuba
4. whites on coloreds violence for 2nd (usage by classification: NAACP)
3. construction jobs gallore: the jobs 'no one else will do'
2. taco bell becomes even more mainstream
1. exclusive rights to "me no es-speeky za englishh"

Oh crap, we were talking about African (where's that on the map?) Americans

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
If you were to start a SuperWhite satellite channel, I bet you wouldn't be successful for reasons that have little to do with free market.

Yeah, I know all about race hustlers like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. NASCAR has never had any rules barring blacks, but Jackson blackmailed the organization into "creating" opportunities for blacks.

What I am saying is that whether any of us like it or not, BET is a private enterprise that, like all business, lives or dies by the free market. It's on my cable line-up, but like the majority of the channels I pay for, it's blocked on my TV. I hate to flip through channels I wouldn't watch if I was paid to do so.

[edit on 2006/7/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I think this thread needs a dose of some truthiness from our spiritual leader and possibility future president, Stephen Colbert. You see we all need to be like Stephen....he doesn't see color....hes color blind if you know what I mean.....he doesn't even know if hes white....but people tell him he his.....Race is divisive...so you have to ask your self who wins by having the races fight....I'm not going to give you the answer because you should already know....while i know that a lil simple logic will never solve this race problem because humans are involved, i do want to make the effort. Race and culture are important...but in an ever more connected world we have cultures rubbing up against each other for the first time ever...some cultures will be extinguished in the end and others will flourish but eventually even those that flourish will be overtaken by others accepted by larger segments of the population.

We don't need a law......we don't need as Carlos Mencia calls it, BET (Beaner entertainment television) or WET (white entertainment television) but if there is one, good, for whomever wants to watch it.....what we need is for every single individual to decide for themselves and within themselves that they don't want to choose racism....regardless of the color of your skin or name of the god you worship divisiveness only hurts you.

So i say we all try on a lil truthiness for size and see how it is to live a day colorblind.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by Elsenorpompom]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
From reading your last post, I think we all need a good lesson in punctuation. We can work on race wars later.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I attribute it to Ignorance. Just the other day my wife and I along with our 2 year old son were walking into Roscoes Chicken and waffles for dinner (I live in Los Angeles). As we were pulling into the parking lot, several Black men in there mid 30's I would say were standing at the entrance to the parking lot. I could tell when they saw us pulling in they started smilling real big and huddled together quickly. Being one not to assume anything I really gave it no thought but made the mental note to myself.(It's not the nicest neighborhood). As we were walking in(remember I am holding my 2 year old) This group of 3 men start arguing really loudly and start threating bodliy harm to one another. Well needless to say these guys were not very good actors and as we passed them we could hear them say, "man you weren't supposed to laugh" and another say "Well they didn't turn around and leave". Why would grown men behave that way? I could imagine if it were a couple of teenagers but c'mon!! Like I said though I think it is attributed to ignorance. I will also tell you that situations like that don't arise in the "nicer" parts of town(at least in my experience). I think it is a class issue more than a race issue. I find that same type of behavior with the Redneck hillbillies from my home town in Southern Illinois. put a bunch of stupid people together and it really doesn't matter what color your skin is. I think time will heal the wounds of slavery but those wounds have to want to be healed. Not only by the whites but by the blacks as well. I think it is still a sensitive subject that is not be adressed properly. Afirmative action is not the answer. Pumpin money into inner city educational systems is a great start though.

[edit on 28-7-2006 by kleverone]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
Well needless to say these guys were not very good actors and as we passed them we could hear them say, "man you weren't supposed to laugh" and another say "Well they didn't turn around and leave".

If they were white and you were black, you'd be a millionarie by now.

Afirmative action is not the answer. Pumpin money into inner city educational systems is a great start though.

Money won't change much; good parents is what they need.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I am taken back by this thread. Our founding 4 fathers set forth to create a more perfect unification of states than was previously realized. I always thought there were more than 4 fathers but my second grade teacher told me 2 years in a row that we had 4 fathers.

When GW Washington chopped down a cherry tree and said I REGRET I HAVE BUT ONE TREE TO GIVE FOR MY COUNRTY AND MY KING I nearly wept when I finally understood that included every race and every creed on the planet.

When profit Abraham Lincoln singed the de-pants-ification proclamation he paved the way for all people to live freely I knew that this country was for me. He said FOUR WHORES AND SEVEN BEERS AGO I HAD A DREAM, I HAD AN AWESOME DREAM OF PEOPLE IN THE PARK PLAYING GAMES IN THE DARK. Where else but America could whites – blacks – arabs – jews – latinos – natives – and a white girl from jersey all play together in the park? No where I say, except possibly in Minske but that is a whole ‘nother thread there my friend!

When President John Fitzsimmons Kennedy said “We shall have a man on the moon and maybe bring him back by the end of the decade” He didn’t say a white man or a black man…he said MAN!

My entire point with this amusing thread addition is:

No matter what level of education or lack there of you are at, and no matter what level of ignorance or lack there of you are at…there is always room for JELLO©…no wait….there is always room for racial tolerance.

Peace out!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join