It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans becoming too fat for their X-rays

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by imbalanced
I really cant understand how these people get so fat, it takes work and money to eat that much. Guess I just dont enjoy eating.

I think it costs more money and requires more effort to eat healthy, for instance buying fruits, vegtables, whole grain breads, high quality meats etc cost more than a super sized fast food combo, and some junk food, and then don't forget there's the effort required to cook it, and clean up which is probably hard work when your 500+lbs

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
I know how to begin solving the problem for the next generation, but many of you would cry facism and tryanny, when it is honestly a reach to help sustain the health of our children.

Classes need to explain why it is bad to become obese. Not only discuss and explain the physical damage, but the psycological and emotional damage it can also bring down on a person. And yes, examples must be shown. Chris Farley perhaps, video footage of those who were too big to even walk, have to be towed in the back of a pickup just to reach the hospital, etc tec. Middle and high-school should also incorporate how to teach the childrens future families the importance of staying trim and the consequences of "letting ones self go".

The federal government should set a required BMI range for all children in public education, which must be tested for monthly. Those who are not within that limit will be required to be sent to another class during the week almost like detention. Child must endure said class until the approved BMI range is attained. I mean those nurses should be getting paid for more anyways. All they do is jot down notes and then call the parents to come pickup the child.

I understand many may see these measurments as harsh and unjust and tyranic. But where is your mercy and sympathy for those who just allow themselves to become the way they do? The suffering they face because of it? Parents who allow their children to get this way are guilty of neglect or simply uneducated themselves. In addition to the above reccomendations, perhaps fines should be levied upon the parents of habitual offendors which would go to the school for further funding.

I don't think that's tyranical or fascist at all, in fact I think that's a
very good idea.

Don't know who suggested mandatory military service,
so sorry it is'nt quoted, anyway, I don't think that's a good idea,
apart from the whole taking away of freedoms thing, not everyone
in the military is perfectly fit, I mean I've seen some of them about
20-30 years old that could do to lose 10-20 pounds, now of course
the people serving in the war, of course there fit, but the ones here
at home are'nt always, especiall the older ones, and the ones with
higher up command possitions.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I think it costs more money and requires more effort to eat healthy, for instance buying fruits, vegtables, whole grain breads, high quality meats etc cost more than a super sized fast food combo, and some junk food, and then don't forget there's the effort required to cook it, and clean up which is probably hard work when your 500+lbs

I dont see the point. I eat fish, veggies and rice 4 times a week. Whole grain bread isnt more expensive.

high quality meats- what are high quality meats exaclty, i dont understand that one.

I dont think its more expensive then buying a combo at mc-killmyself

How much is 4 meals to feed you family at mc-killmysef ? itll prob come to around 30.00 at least. Thats enough money to buy a pound of fish, rice, salad, dressing, potatoes and a case of water.

[edit on 2-8-2006 by imbalanced]

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
OK maybe the bread wasnt a good example, but look at hamburger meat. The lower tha fat content or the leaner it is the more expensive. I think the big issue is delaying gratification and the effort required to think about eating a healthy balanced diet, and preparing the food, cleaning up etc. vs eating McCrap

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I recently heard on a talk back radio program here in Australia that chronically obese or overweight people are so abuntant here in Australia that if you put the statistics together anyone in a so called normal weight range would be considered anorexic or underweight!!!

So if you think that by shaming young people because of there wieght that they are going to be ostrasized by the community, think again, soon it's gonna us "normal sized" people that will be ostrasized for not beefing up.
Cheers
crash

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Crash if a fat person ever tells you to beef up, go ahead and challenge them to a round of sit-ups, push-ups, or a good ol run. If your at leats in decent shape, I am sure you will have the last laugh.

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Imagine what the world could be like if we had the future (our children) spend maybe 2 years on an organic farm learning how to feed their fellow man...and worst case scenario learn how to feed themselves properly.
As an option to joining the military.
Many young men and women join the military because they need a job.

On a farm they and their characters would be forged by the sweat of their brow.

We must find ways to help the children find more ways to serve not exploit their fellow man.
And this does not imply serving them crappy processed food through a drive-thru window.

Nobody really wins in this energy exchange, except Wall street.

namaste

Raphael

[edit on 2-8-2006 by Kachina]

[edit on 2-8-2006 by Kachina]

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I built and operate a medical diagnostic imaging center with CT, PETCT, MRI, X-Ray, and Ultrsound. Now I can agree and disagree with this thread. Disagree because it doesn't matter how big you are for these tests. I have the largest gantry of any closed MRI machine on the market that fits 500 pounds. Anything bigger than that and you could use an Open MRI. Which is that the scanner travels around you, it is self-sheilded.

I agree on the terms of tissue. There are five types of tissue (speed of protons and such) that dictate the study, if someone has eccesively fatty tissue, it will be harder to get a read on the scan. So, speaking from experience, this is part wrong and part right. AAC

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I just saw this article on msn, and thought I would share as its pertitent to this thread.

This looks like there could be some great help on the way for obese people that can't fight it on their own

MONDAY, July 31 (HealthDay News) -- Researchers are reporting progress toward what would be a dream come true for many Americans: a vaccine to prevent obesity.

The target of this vaccine is ghrelin, a recently discovered hormone that decreases energy expenditure and fat breakdown. Scientists at the Scripps Research Institute in California reported in this week's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that they have developed a way to make the immune system produce antibodies that attack ghrelin, and that rats given the vaccine ate normally but lost weight.

Source

I'm pretty sure I've seen this posted here on ATS before, but this interactive map of obesity trends in the US past to present is startling to say the least

health.msn.com...

[edit on 3-8-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Researchers say that air conditioning can make you fat. With the current heat wave going on, people need air conditioning just to survive the heat. Very interesting though.

source

Modern technologies — such as air conditioning and heating — help keep us in "the thermoneutral zone," a temperature range where we do not have to regulate our body temperature, a report suggests.

When our bodies are above or below this zone, we increase the amount of energy we spend, which "decreases energy stores," such as fat, the study's authors say.

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What if you keep the AC so cold your body has to work to stay warm
I've heard drinking ice cold water burns calories since you have to expend energy to warm it up in your stomach

posted on Aug, 3 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost

Originally posted by imbalanced
I really cant understand how these people get so fat, it takes work and money to eat that much. Guess I just dont enjoy eating.

Yea, it may be hard work when you are 500+ lbs, but they weren't like that thier entire lifes. I don't even understand how somebody could let themselves go that much. And really, even if people do eat McDonald's 3-4 times a week, have you ever heard of excercise??? Go running for 30 minutes every day, or every other day. It's not that hard, or go out and buy some freeweights for $20. It's not too much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join