It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

44-Year-Old Man Faces ID Ordeal When Buying Beer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
Or paid exact change and just took the beer. What are they going to do? Arrest me for paying for my beer and taking it?

actually to be pedantic they could , in law the price advertised is only " an invitation to make an ofer " , the store can arrest you for what you propose .

you cannot just pick up goods and simply " abandon " the ammount of money shown on the price tag

the store has to accept your offer of $ xx for a bottle of beer , and can simply refuse to serve you for any reason of thier choice

you have no right to buy from a store

This guy was a fool if he let the kid right down the info.

agreed

people should vote with thier feet - its a fact that you have to be carded -- but if people poycot stores that act like idiots .
soon someone will get the message and a local store will start to sell beer with the minimum glance at the age on the id to cover thier ass legally .

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i think its funny when register biscuits do that, gotta act like they care, let me see an id, lol, DAMN ID NAZIS!

had this happen to me the other day had no id on me, i look young i suppose but I wasnt buying beer, was buying some swishas and she had front. So long story short I had to go to the 7-11 down the street to buy my skins.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I got carded for a case of beer in CT. once. I got a ride to the store and all I had on me was state ID (identical to a DL in every way, except it doesn't entitle you to drive and it costs less). The clerk wouldn't accept it, and said he needed to see a DL.

The conversation that followed went like this, almost verbatim.

"So lemme get this straight, in order to drink, I need to drive?"

"Yep."

"Hmmm..so you're a moron."

I think it's a bad idea to place sensitive private information in the hands of minimum wage half-wits. People who do, do so at their own risk, IMO. Just don't shop at these places. Take your business elsewhere.

I'm intrigued about the 'special beer' post on the last page..wonder what that's all about? Clever little work of fiction, or some sort of controlled experiment? Strange...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I stood in line behind some young woman the other day while she pissed and moaned about being id'd for buying smokes. She certainly looked old enough to buy smokes but the clerk was "just doing his job". After several minutes of having my ears polluted with her second-hand whinning, I finally chirped in: "honey, I'm 48 years old and I can assure you than you only need to be offended when they STOP id'ing you." Last time I got id'd was at 36 years old when I ordered an adult beverage to go with my meal. I left the waitress a BIG tip.
Yes, we all need to be alert to identity theft & oppressive control games in high places but the poor schmoe behind the cash register is not the place to voice our complaints about our increasing lack of privacy.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Ya'know, I was trying to buy two cases of beer for a Independence Day get together at a Wal-Mart store and found out the my DL was expired, so she wouldn't sell it to me. My Dad can up and gave her his DL and I payed for the beer. Why did she let me pay for it? Dumbest thing I have seen in a while.

Roper

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Just come to Louisiana....

It's pretty easy to drink down here....

You can be 18 to sell alcohol here.....

I worked promotions for a major liquor distributor when I was 19 in the city...

I can promise you down here no one will hassle you at age 44 for a beer.

And in New Orleans you can drink in the streets...any time, day, night, year, etc.

Also, if you are under 21 and fine dinning with your parents...
you are allowed to drink with them.

Just about all fine dinning est. will allow that down here.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
if he actually wrote down the info then he is going to use it to steal your identity
if he swiped it through the computer then the computer probably just checked the age to complete the sale

there is no reason to let anyone write down info from your ID
the only reason anyone would do this is to steal your identity and sign up for creditcards and such

incase you missed that,
NEVER LET ANYONE HAND WRITE THE INFORMATION ON YOUR ID, CREDIT CARD, OR ANY OTHER CARDS YOU KEEP IN YOUR WALLET

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Whenever I go to Virginia, they always enter your info from your drivers license into a computer when you buy liquor from the ABC stores. It seems like it requires more information to buy things nowadays. Alot of stores ask for your zip code or phone # or both. You are tagged and collared everywhere you go now.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
usually when a store cards people who are obviously of age, it is because they were caught selling beer or smokes to someone underage, got a huge fine, fired the person responsible and now have a zero tolerance policy. mostly its just the clerks who are so paranoid about it, because they REALLY dont want to loose thier job. if youre working as a cashier in a gas station its usually because your a highschool or college student, or your experience is limited as well as your education.
sometimes the police will even send an underage kid into stores to see if they will sell to them.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
This is becoming more common, although I haven't heard of the notation of data. I don't see a problem with it. In most jurisdictions, anyone who buys beer is subject to "carding," even if it isn't enforced.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This is simple:

When I am asked for my zip code at the register, I say "pick one".

When I am asked for my phone number at the register, I say "pick one".

When I am asked for anything beyond the above at the register, I say "you just lost my business".

Next.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Oh but Loam, that would make you a liar, dont ya know.....According to Shots, that is. I give my correct information when necessary, not at the 7/11.

Again: To "card" is to glance at the DOB to make sure you are within your legal rights to make the purchase. Nothing else is necessary or should be necessary.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Loam has the right idea. If you don't like the rules, go somewhere else. It's not like there's a shortage of beverage outlets.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Oh but Loam, that would make you a liar, dont ya know.....According to Shots, that is.

I could care less...

When I purchase something, it's in exchange for monetary consideration and NOT in exchange for my personal identifying information. I don't do those deals lightly...and neither should anyone else.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Of course the muncipalities and agencies have your number. But they can't do anything until you buy a beer. Then when you try to leave the car doesn't start...

Oh, wait, that happened to me in 2014. Wrong date

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I deal with that all the time! I'm 39 years old, and get Id'ed 4 out of five times. The registrants have to answer to the fact, if someone happens to get into an accident, etc... So, the best thing for a registrar to do, is cover there butt. It's unfortunate, but apparently you husband acted drunk, or for some reason created a suspicion to the extent that extra precautions were neccessary. Think about it. If you were the registrar. Would anyone want to take the resposibility of someone 3 sheets to the wind, to let them purchase alcohol to you? Not me.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
It is suspect for the clerk to start writing the information down, does smack of identity theft.

In England, making beer used to be women's work, done at home as part of the daily chores. Then the industrial complex got involved and it was outlawed to make beer at home. One can only wonder at the ramifications of the corporate patenting and private ownership of every genome known to earth.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
you cant brew beer at home in england? that is plain nuts!
I can brew up to 200 gallons / year in the US. Actually the quantity is not enforced AT ALL here. I personally have brewed more than that in some years. the queen mum needs a cold one. back to topic now.

I say again, do not do business wi data harvesters.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Smells like identity theft more than anything else. Trouble is, we live in a culture of legal paranoia and age discrimination. The other countries with age restrictions on products use them more as guidelines; they aren't strictly enforced to the point of absurdity. Even close neighbors to the US, Canada and Mexico, don't squander state resources to entrap merchants and the low-income store employees who might be selling cigarettes to someone ONE DAY short of 18. Instead, they take a common sense approach in which discretion is used and it's not even a police issue. Hopefully the more lenient policies will rub off over here when the North-American Union comes out.

What we have in America are checkout lines becoming reality game shows in which the stars are the taxpaying customers buying age restricted items, the cashiers, and the undercover police trying to entrap both of them.

None of this ridiculous "by-the-book" mentality on selling alcohol came to be until 1984 when the ambulance-chasers got their bill passed through lobbying with their puppet front MADD, which bullied all states in the Union into raising the drinking age to 21. This was done not by any Federal authority in the Constitution, but by the threat of withholding Federal DOT highway funding if states wouldn't comply. Whether it marginally reduced highway deaths or not is moot: it's still ugly Stalinism. I could think of a hundred other ways to reduce deaths by picking and choosing which groups to discriminate against based on statistic.

It shouldn't be a game of 20 questions for anyone who looks like an adult to buy a beer in a free country.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Loam, that frog. You have a frog for an avatar.... Oh is that the one that changes?

I think that cashier was a NWO operative, or had delussions of being one.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by dgtempe]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join