It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

44-Year-Old Man Faces ID Ordeal When Buying Beer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
SOURCE

Clerk began writing down details of drivers license, "We can't sell beer without it"

Paul Joseph Watson/Prison Planet.com | July 26 2006

A reader writes to us to relate the story of a 44-year old man who was not only asked for ID when attempting to buy beer at a Chevron gas station, but the employee actually began to write down the details of his drivers license to be able to sell him the beer.

"Yesterday 7/23 after seeing a movie with his friend, my husband decided to stop at a Chevron gas station to buy a can of beer before going back to his friends house. My husband is 44 years old and does not look like he is under 21," writes Donna.

"The clerk asked for his drivers license and proceeded to write down all his personal information on a piece of paper. She said she could not sell him a beer without all his information."

Is everyone willing to show ID and have a bunch of information written down for the priviledge of enjoying a beer?
Well, apparently its comming to that.

Stop the insanity-please!!!
This is just getting out of hand- and nobody can do anything????

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Some militant teetotaller wants to make things difficult for someone else to buy a beer.

Back in the old days you'd have clouted the officious churl with the flat of your sword and that would have been that. But nowadays everyone's so priggish about corporal punishment, and besides, the unwashed have become awfully litigious...

Hardly a manifestation of the tyrannous hand of the State, dgtempe.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Hardly a manifestation of the tyrannous hand of the State, dgtempe.
I think you're wrong on this one. I think its open season on identifications and those who love the vigilante games. Give some people a little authority (in this case a cashier) and they will run with what they think they can now get away with.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Some militant teetotaller wants to make things difficult for someone else to buy a beer.

Word!

For some perspective, out of 200,000,000 people (a somewhat educated guess as to how many of our 300M people are over 21), one guy is having a problem.

One guy...

Show me 1,000 guys dealing with this in a single state, and we have a situation. Otherwise, all we really have is a jackoff behind the counter who gets off on her limited power.

As an aside, I know this is not quite the same, but I can understand some of the mentality behind being overcautious in selling age-restricted products. When I was 19 and in college, one way I paid for things was through a job at a local convenience store. It sucked, and it was lonely, but with only a single customer every 20 to 30 minutes, it was a great place to study.

Anyway, one day they changed the cigarette laws so that an employee was responsible for checking IDs for anyone “27 years old or younger.” Think about the for a minute. 27 years old.

27!!???!!

Can you spot a 27 year old vs. a 28 year old? I can't, and I AM a 28 year old. What about an old looking 23 year old? What kind of arbitrary line is that? There is no reasonable way to make an identification of someone around the age of 27 as older or younger than 27. But, woe be unto you if you didn’t card. It could be a cop, you could and would get a $500+ ticket, and you would get fired. It didn't matter if the person was 26 and legally allowed to buy cigarettes. What mattered was if you carded him or not.

So, it drove many folks, myself included, to overcompensate. I carded EVERYBODY. I had a guy, surely in his 50s, walk out in disgust after I refused to sell to him without an ID. I didn’t care. In order to protect myself, I essentially changed the store policy to “everybody gets carded without regard to age; no ID, no smokes.”

It’s stupid to have to do it that way, but the system forced my hand, not the other way around.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Alcohol, a joint ...

Things that let you think more than allowed.

Im am over 30 and sometimes I am asked for a passport in my country too.

Polylux

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Polylux]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
This is just getting out of hand- and nobody can do anything????

Somebody could do something, but unfortunately, there are people who make excuses for this kind of behavior and brush it off as nothing to be concerned about. This kind of 'disease' spreads and becomes policy and then those same people who made excuses for it eventually start complaining. By then it's too far gone.

To keep this from getting out of hand, we, the people, must be united and vigilant, not letting even one case get by. But we are not united. And those of use who are against it are made out to be paranoid or to have something to hide.

There's no excuse for this clerk taking down this information. :shk:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I would be more afraid of identity theft more than anything else. I haven't been ID'd in ages and I'm only 32. Anyway if that happened to me, I'd just snatch my ID back and go to another store. I mean there isn't just one place to buy beer!

[edit on 7/27/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
We are all used to being carded for cigarrettes, but this is going beyond,imo.
if its true that this guy bought one beer and looked all of his age, i dont see a reason for it. Once again there's that fine line that is being crossed with regards to peoples rights,imo. Another thing if this cashier did this, it must be orders, therefore, it must be being done on everyone who walks in to get a cold one, one can only assume. Its not just one isolated case.

I think its a way to "condition" people to display ID's for every move they make.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Honestly, I'd would have just left and went to another store. Or paid exact change and just took the beer. What are they going to do? Arrest me for paying for my beer and taking it?

No kid behind a desk at a gas station is going to be forcing me to give up my personal information. Identity theft anyone?

This guy was a fool if he let the kid right down the info.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I would be more afraid of identity theft more than anything else. I haven't been ID'd in ages and I'm only 32. Anyway if that happened to me, I'd just snatch my ID back and go to another store. I mean there isn't just one place to buy beer!

[edit on 7/27/2006 by djohnsto77]
How do you know this nutcase wouldnt have written down your liscence plate number and turned you into the police as someone "suspicious"? He could, ya know, if he was heavily into minding your business with nothing else to do....
I do agree, i would have simply left and gone elsewhere. While there's still an "elsewhere" to go to.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
And it ain't the beer!

To the best of my knowledge, the clerk can and should seek age verification before selling an alcoholic beverage; however, name address and other "personal" information should never be required for anything but the purchase of a "controlled substance", such as prescription medications, which would be secured under HIPPA regulations.

Furthermore, if additional "personal" info were truly and regularly required, wouldn't it be standard practice to log such info on something a bit more enduring than "a piece of paper"?

I smell the scam of ID theft here.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
Identity theft anyone?

I totally agree! While I can completely understand the need to verify someone's age, I don't see any need to write down the purchaser's personnal information.

I used to work in a grocery store and one of the cashiers got busted by an undercover police officer buying beer because she didn't check his ID, so I can understand the gas station attendant's desire to check 'everyones' ID, but writing down the personnal info is too much!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar

name address and other "personal" information should never be required for anything but the purchase of a "controlled substance", such as prescription medications, which would be secured under HIPPA regulations.

No kidding!! So whats up with this??? What is this log (or piece of paper) for? WHO is it for? What is it for?? Who would ultimately end up with it? BTW, i dont think it was a scam. I think its the way of things to come.

They should at least have a "form" instead of scribling it down on a piece of paper.
Might as well do it up right.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
i was suprised that alex jones picked this up. there are so many details we dont know about this. i am sure there was more too it. and to everyone who is outraged at this, and dont recognize it as single isolated act which we dont even know half the facts about, just a news story from some guy about some woman who was mad because her husband couldnt buy a beer (i am sure she overexaterated.). what about if a store clerk has a photographic memory? then they could just remember all your info, all of which is redily available if you know where to look, and write it down later. dosent that mke you paranoid? what about hidden cameras that take a quick hi res picture of your id as the clerk checks it?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
...name address and other "personal" information should never be required for anything but the purchase of a "controlled substance", such as prescription medications, which would be secured under HIPPA regulations.

beer is a controlled susbstance, hence the need to show id to purchase

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Trashbag,

Glad you cleared this up in one sentence. There you have it folks!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Beer is not a controlled substance, the sale of alcohol is under a completely different set of laws than prescription drugs which are also controlled substances and illegal drugs.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
[

beer is a controlled susbstance, hence the need to show id to purchase

Beer is older than Europe's knowledge of North America. Beer has no place in being controlled! It's up to parents to watch their children, take some dagnab responsibility instead of crying to the State.
Big Brother licks urinals for fun!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Sounds like harassment to me maybe the clerk knew the guy from somewhere else and just wanted to get back at him for some other issue

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Trashbag,

Glad you cleared this up in one sentence. There you have it folks!!!

i beer a substance? i believe so
is it controlled? yes, the sale to minors is controlled and the government regulates taxes etc.

this whole thing kind of makes me sick. you are all paranoid and living in fear of the future and the coming police state. dont you see that there is already a police state when you are PARANOID and live in FEAR and can just get over some thirdhand, unclear account of some guy buying beer. live your life dont be afraid, if someone wants to write down all my info, fine by me. i am not afraid that it would be used in any ill manner, and also i know that if someone wanted to steal my id or put me under a police state there are MUCH better ways to do it. people are like scared sheep these days, even when they think theyre not, sometimes especially when they think theyre not

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join