It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about the UN in Lebanon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Okay, i know that the UN force that was placed into Lebanon 6 years ago main goal was to "observe" the area. they were not there to defend it, they were there to ensure that israeli's didnt encroach from one side and that Hezbollha didnt from the other. That is why they are there.

My question is, how in the middle of the desert with few roads in or out, did the UN just happen to miss the placing of 13,000 rockets by Hezbollah? Now i know that the intelligence organizations of many countries also missed this, but the UN force was sitting right there in the middle of the place with that being their sole purpose!!!! How???

If they were doing there job, would this whole forum even be here right now?

UN=Impotence Thats why the US has to be the police of the world. Kofi Annan is a freakin crook.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hum..mm good question, but taking into consideration that US intelligence that is suppose to be one of the best said that Saddam had MWDs in Iraq . . . and was moving them around . . .

I guess the desert can play with the minds of the people that are observers.

UN didn't see anything in souther Lebanon and US intelligence was looking at mirage when they though they were seen things.

Is call convenience what is convenient for you may not be for me.

Is a political game you know.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Looks like the UN completely dropped the ball on this one. Makes one wonder why the UN should be respected as a credible organization after situations like this and the oil for food scandle and various other ventures. Guess its a moot point because we all know Israel and Hezbo wont care what the UN does but its still sad. The UN is suppose to represent the "world community" yet they allow this, they allow the Iraqi oil for food scandle, they allow N. Korea to develop nukes and long range missles, they allow Iran to develop nukes, i mean what is the deal with these folks?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Wow all this just to make it appear that Israel is in the right for attacking UN soldiers that were only doing their jobs. Its about right though, even though Lebanese civilians had nothing to do with kidnapping 2 soldiers they attack them, so since there was a scandal with Food for oil and rapists, it signifies all of them are the same.

Thats just awful. I Hope they are RIP. My condolences to their families that they left behind and I hope justice is served for this senseless crime.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
LOL....you are a balerina for sure Pie...spin with the best of them!!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
LOL....you are a balerina for sure Pie...spin with the best of them!!

Saying the UN dropped the ball when an Israeli bomb hits a UN post is fair and balanced? Iraqi food for oil scandal as an excuse for 4 dead soldiers is fair and balanced? Attempting to make the UN appear as a corrupt organization in order to legitimize an attack is fair and balanced?

Par for the course

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
No, you're right...its still way out of balance but NOT in the favor of the Israelis. My post has nothing to do with the UN fatalities, this was valid days ago and still is.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by princeofpeace]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I do not think this post was about bombing the UN, simply asking a question: Why didn't the UN see the 13,000 rockets in southern Lebanon - My answer would be that the UN is there to look pretty, to make Lebanon feel a little safer when in fact they do nothing. Like any where else the UN are placed (Kosovo comes to mind where they allowed the slaughter of thousands of muslims) they do NOTHING, it is a waste of time for us to support the organization. Israel killing the UN, while we all get frustrated sometimes, we should not drop a few bombs on them. The poor Lebanese civilians, yeah it is sad but they should not be brought into every conversation.................... It is sad, the UN guys dieing... is sad... but if that has nothing at all to do with the post why "spin" it to make it that way. Not every post against the UN and pro Israel needs that brought in. Like wise the claim of terrorist caused the war does not need to be brought in to every conversation.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Rock, you make way too much sense and are much too rational to be on this website.

Cant you at least say something about a UFO or something so that we know you fit in around here?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
HAHA prince. Catch me on a friday or saturday night when I have over consumed my bud light. Usually I go off the right deep end and attack something Pieman or Souljah says. Pieman however, I respect because he at least argues his case against me, people like Souljah do not.

I get attacked more via U2U for being as moderate as I possibly can be then for being to far right. Also I added August 3rd WWIII Begins. Though I do not believe my own post.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Okay, i know that the UN force that was placed into Lebanon 6 years ago main goal was to "observe" the area.

My question is, how in the middle of the desert with few roads in or out, did the UN just happen to miss the placing of 13,000 rockets by Hezbollah? Now i know that the intelligence organizations of many countries also missed this, but the UN force was sitting right there in the middle of the place with that being their sole purpose!!!! How???

Well, it is complicated. There is a history of corruption among 'some' soldiers in UNIFIL, see this backgrounder for more information.

The UN has been there a lot longer than 6 years. According to Security Council resolutions 425 (1978) and 426 (1978) of 19 March 1978, UNIFIL was established to:

* Confirm the withdrawal of Israeli forces from southern Lebanon;
* Restore international peace and security;
* Assist the Government of Lebanon in ensuring the return of its effective authority in the area.

Most recently the mandate of UNIFIL was extended until 31 July 2006 by Security Council resolution 1655 (2006) of 31 January 2006.

That picture is no joke, that is a UN Outpost with the UN flag and a Hezbollah flag.

As far as the weapons go, I think it is expecting a lot for the UN troops who have to man bunkers on a hill to know what is being moved through the black market of Lebanon.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I do not think this post was about bombing the UN, simply asking a question: Why didn't the UN see the 13,000 rockets in southern Lebanon - My answer would be that the UN is there to look pretty, to make Lebanon feel a little safer when in fact they do nothing. Like any where else the UN are placed (Kosovo comes to mind where they allowed the slaughter of thousands of muslims) they do NOTHING, it is a waste of time for us to support the organization. Israel killing the UN, while we all get frustrated sometimes, we should not drop a few bombs on them. The poor Lebanese civilians, yeah it is sad but they should not be brought into every conversation.................... It is sad, the UN guys dieing... is sad... but if that has nothing at all to do with the post why "spin" it to make it that way. Not every post against the UN and pro Israel needs that brought in. Like wise the claim of terrorist caused the war does not need to be brought in to every conversation.

Everyone is so quick to say the U.N. is useless because it hasnt acted right in every crisis, it does not mean that it does not provide aid to many places around the world, and tries to keep the world a stable place. Why didnt the U.N do anything about the 13,000 rockets? Why didnt the U.N. do anything about Israel attaining nuclear weapons? The U.N. is surpose to be a nuetural organization, and i think it has been. Also to say that other events in lebanon that are happening at the moment are irrelevant, but then the actions of the U.N. in kosovo are?

princeofpeace: With threads like this your are discrediting the men that have been killed, making their deaths seem 'justified' when it is plainly not. You would defend Israel's action to the last breath in your body, even if they started cooking arabs in the ovens.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by darksided

That picture is no joke, that is a UN Outpost with the UN flag and a Hezbollah flag.

And here is a picture of the outpsot that was attack provided by northworlf in this thread. politics.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join