It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
My neighbor has a baby in the crawling stage but she doesn't. She pulls with the right leg while sitting upright and drags her butt in a scoot motion. I think maybe she has a health condition. My wife says she doesn't. A little help here please. Is this natural?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Most likely there is nothing wrong. It's pretty normal.

Once the baby is walking, if there is stiffness, favoring of one side or the other, or the child is 'slow to get going' after sitting briefly as if thre is stiffness or soreness - then it would be time to have her checked by a myopothist(sp) - a muscle doc... and then a nuerologist after that.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm a father of two and have numerous nephews and nieces. I've never seen anything like this.

She is a wonderful baby (what one isn't) but the way she drags her butt is odd to me.

The arguement my wife and I are having is whether to say something or not. She says I worry to much.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
All babies are different. I am sure there is nothing to worry about. She probably just figured out that if she does that, she can get to what she wants. Therefore, she doesnt try to crawl the "normal" way. The whole point of crawling is so that they can get from one point to another. She just does it her own way. If you really feel the need to say something, just say something on the lines of "oh how cute, Ive never seen a baby do that before". You never know, maybe she has already had it checked out. Either way, I wouldnt worry about it. I have seen quite a few find other ways other than crawling to get around. One little one, did more of a hop, left all fours on the ground and bounced his body until he moved forward. It was halarious.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara If you really feel the need to say something, just say something on the lines of "oh how cute, Ive never seen a baby do that before".

I did do that but to no avail. I guess I am just a big over protective wuss. It just seems completely unnatural but nobody else ( on this board or friends) sees it as an alarm. So I guess it's ok. I just felt I had to put it out there beyond my world to see.

She is a cutie pie though. Thanks for replies.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Some babies find alternative ways of getting around for a time. One of my kids crawled at four months, and the other layed on her back and scooted for a few months....she was fast on her back to....kicking her legs... man could she go. Some babies also won't have anything to do with walking until they are a yr. old.... time will tell

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I know what you mean about it 'looking' like there is something wrong.

Let's see. My first born, now 18, only went in circles and NEVER crawled with his knees/hands. It was more of a belly/pull with the hands slither kind of thing. Before this he simply rolled to whereever he wanted to go. He's perfectly fine and normal.

My boy Ryan (not 'mine' but I had him till he was 9 years old) - this one would let his head stay on the floor and use one leg (strait out) to push himself around. The other leg was more of something that was 'just in the way or there to look at'. It later became something of a new game "try and pull the sock off". It was the strangest thing you ever saw. I thought the boy was going to give himself brain damage. (Needless to say I carried him around as much as possible!)

My Megan (Ryans sister who I had from birth to 7 years old) - bless her heart, she crawled 'normal', if there is such a thing, but when it came time to walk - she flat out refused. Simply would not do it till she was almot a 2. Both Ryan and Megan are perfect, normal and fine.

My youngest boy, now 8 as of last week... He crawled normal, walked normal and climbed like a little monkey. If you ask me, all 3 of the other children that chose to do it 'there own way' were much less stressful on this mom :-)

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
My cousin used to scoot when he was a young'in. It was really amusing (thanks for bringing back the visual
) but, boy could he get around!

Kids learn different ways to move around, and if he started scooting and that worked, why bother learning to crawl?

BTW, there was nothing physically wrong with my cousin and he's 18 now

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I had one cousin that crawled butt first--I thought it was really bright to move the end with the padding first, that way if he ran into anything he pretty much bounced off.
I have seen kids scoot around bouncing or sliding on their butts as they sit upright, I think they see better where they are going. Keep observant if the kid is not walking or crawling by 2 I would definitely say something, but by then the pediatrician should have said this is out of the ordinary as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Yes, scooting is natural locomotion for some babies. In fact, the baby might skip crawling and go from scooting to walking. Happened in my family.

Here's just an interesting read I found.
www.nsf.gov...

posted on Aug, 2 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Guess I'm completely wrong on this one. I have two daughters and numerous nephews and nieces. Never saw this other than "scooter". He was a younger cousin who scooted until he was 2 years old and then walked. Big boy now. Very big.

This is a good thing. I really thought that maybe she had a deformity or something So mom's right, I'm wrong. They must have a built in radar or something.

Funny thing, I'm panicking over the baby and the wife's like, don't worry about it dummy, it's natural.

join