It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oak Island, Nova Scotia, Canada - The World's Longest Treasure Hunt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
For over 200 years, there has been an ongoing hunt for hidden treasure. Many believe it does exist, though theories on who actually buried it range from pirates to the Knights Templar.

This hunt has been occuring within the small confines of a 144 acre island, off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada (connected to the mainland only by a small man-made causeway) called Oak Island.

I am starting a new thread on this, but through a couple searches on the site, found that several other threads have been authored regarding this, so, instead of restating everything that has been stated in the previous threads, I'll use this thread as a catalogue of the older threads, and offer up some websites devoted to the search on Oak Island.

I am placing the thread in this forum because, as you will soon discover by reading through the linked threads and related websites, that the most common theory on who built the "money pit" and buried the treasure states that the Knights Templar or Freemasons constructed the elaborate trapped pit, requiring a complete reengineering of the island (carbon dating of artifacts discovered in the pit, suggest that it was built in the mid-to-late 1500s), which is an amazing feat, considering that even modern mining techniques (as of the mid-1970s) could not best the traps within the pit.

Here is a catalogue of the prior ATS threads relating to this search (that I was able to find - if anyone knows of more, please feel free to post them):

Oak Island Money Pit
Treasure Hunter Says He's Pieced Together Oak Island Puzzle
Knights Templar in Pre-Columbian America?
Oak Island Mystery
Oak Island
Oak Island and the Masons
Anyone Want to Buy Oak Island?

Additionally, I found one website that goes very in depth with the Oak Island mysteries. Below, I will post to both the main website and the user forums, discussing the topic.

Oak Island Treasure: Leading Research Into the Money Pit Mystery
Oak Island Treasure Forum

Finally, a link to the official website for the Oak Island Tourism Society

Please review through all of this generous amounts of information, and post your thoughts (or links to further information) here.

My fascination with the Oak Island "Money Pit" has been long-standing, ever since I heard about it several years ago from a friend that is very into historical reenactment of pirates (and with the possible pirate link - either Blackbeard or Captain Kidd, it's no wonder that he knew about it). It's a real life, booby-trapped hidden treasure.

[edit on 7/26/2006 by obsidian468]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The Money Pit has facinated me for a while now. I was very happy it was recently sold to treasure hunters so maybe this mystery can finally be solved.

There have been tons of theories from Captain Kidd, the English Army, French Army & even associates of Shakespear that buried whatever is there down there. But i also belive it to be the work of Masons and/or Knights Templar. The stone that was found in the pit but is now missing is what i believe to be the key. I like many others I believe it was translated totally wrong. A man named Kieth Ranville has recently made his thoughts of what it could mean public & i think hes on the right track. Heres the thread about it on the Oak Island forum.

forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by obsidian468
(snip) ... the most common theory on who built the "money pit" and buried the treasure states that the Knights Templar or Freemasons constructed the elaborate trapped pit, requiring a complete reengineering of the island (carbon dating of artifacts discovered in the pit, suggest that it was built in the mid-to-late 1500s), which is an amazing feat, considering that even modern mining techniques (as of the mid-1970s) could not best the traps within the pit.
[edit on 7/26/2006 by obsidian468]

This is certainly a very interesting subject. Do you know why freemasons have been linked to the Pit? It seems unlikely at face value as modern freemasonry did not exist in any meaningful sense until the late 17th/ early 18th century.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Do you know why freemasons have been linked to the Pit?

That link like the "link to Roslin" is a Sinclair and a voyage written about by Zeno as I recall. Also there is an inscription down the coast of a knight. The blazon on this knights shield is the same as one associated with the Sinclairs of Orkney.

Im not so much interested in the what of the pit but the HOW. The Pit has existed for
several hundred years in spite of, or perhaps TO SPITE the best minds and technology
of their day.

top topics

join