It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My photo of some rods(?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I was lurking and reading some of the posts about rods and remembered a video I had seen from the Space Shuttle or another craft with all sorts of objects and spheres moving around above the Earth and I noticed some things that look like the things in a photo I took last Summer in the Adirondacks.

Not sure what these things are, but I don't remember seeing them when we were there taking pictures and jumping about by this river:

(medium size)
www.dealez.com...

(full size)
www.dealez.com...

you can clearly see one of these things in the upper part of the lower right quadrant. There is another, less clear one, in the upper right quadrant, about 45 degrees from the first one. What the heck are these things? Not like any bugs I've ever seen flying around my porch light. I guess they can't be more than an inch or two in length.

-Sim
n

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'd have to go with bugs on this one. Photograph the bugs around your porch light with the same shutter speed and you should get the same effect. A bug travelling at 15 miles an hour flies about 3.3 inches in 1/80 of a second, which was the exposure time.

A one-inch bug, flying 3.3 inches, equals 3 exposures in one frame. Which is what you have in the picture. 3 "sets" of wings.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
either way those are what rods are, they look identical to the rods Ive seen in pictures

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The easily seen one is definately a flying bug.

The harder to see ones, I would put money on minnows in the water.

But you never know until you have people look at the photo. Keep your eyes open Simon.

either way those are what rods are, they look identical to the rods Ive seen in pictures

Almost all rods are proven as bugs. Now the ones on the shuttle mission, I have no clue on those.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Rods are interesting. Based on the trailers from Theufomovie.com it looks like this documentary is going to outline how to film rods using a particular camera setup. I could be wrong, but either way its going to outline the whole "rods" phenomena in detail.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
You are saying that these are your photo's of rods. You are saying "View My Photo of Rods" ... so did you work for NASA?

If not. Why the misleading title to this thread?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Not trying to be misleading. Just that I had seen photos/movies where I had seen things that looked just like this before ever snapping this photo. I had no idea they were there until I went to look at all our vakay photos and noticed this thing. I realize how similar it looked to the ones in a video shot from some rocket or space shuttle which I thought was odd, these little rodlike critters scooting about. I'm just curious to know what they are, or I guess, more specifically, what kind of insect looks like this. Perhaps it is all just a matter of shutter speed and these are just damsel flies or something. Not a former NASA employee, just a simple IT guy who loves his Canon digital camera.

-Sim
n

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Rods are just insects taken with a camera that have long exposure time.
So I think it's just stupid discussing it, and that this thread should be moved or deleted...

"this section of the board needs better moderation" www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry if I sound negative now, but I can also take some pictures like that and start a new thread with no meaning.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Oh, ok... so this is your photo. Anyway, I'm seeing those rods ... interesting!

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Digital cameras take a slight time to collect the light for the photo. YOu are seeing insects flying quickly. This leeds to the rod phenomenon. The longer you leave the shutter open the more spectacular the effect.

new topics

top topics

join