It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(DOC) The Sugar Shack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
“There it is again. Look! That fog is back.”

“Did you record it this time?”

“Yeah, I got it.”

“OK. Replay it in slo-mo.”

“Right there. See how it condenses, bulges toward the camera, then retreats back down the hall? What is that?”

“Well… Do you believe in ghosts?”

“Oh man, don’t do this. I’m already getting creeped out here.”

“Well, what do you think it is?”

“You sure this is the tunnel under the East Wing?”

“Of course I’m sure. This goes right to the Sugar Shack.”

“Sugar Shack? I thought that was just a myth.”

“Nope. It’s the real deal. I was here when the East Wing was still in use. The inmates we had there were real animals. The Sugar Shack was their recreation area. Man, no guards went in there, unless with overwhelming force. The inmates would hold their own tribunals there for snitches, thieves, or whoever they felt crossed their line. Nobody wanted to be the one working the shift when the inmates came back from rec a body short. ‘Cause sure enough, there would be some dead son of a bitch in the Sugar Shack. It wasn’t my shift, but I saw one of the bodies there, once. Poor bastard’s head was nearly sawed off. Other bad things went down in there, but the inmates kept their mouths shut."

“Jesus….”

“The state gave the prison money for these cameras, but it wasn’t in time to do anybody any good. Only a month later the East Wing got condemned. Hell, you can see why. The ceiling is practically on the floor as we speak.”

“I wish they’d condemn the rest of this dump. Why do they have us monitoring a part of the prison that never gets used, anyway?”

“You’re asking me? Put the monitor back on live feed. You see anything?”

“No, but the hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up. What time is it?”

“It’s only 1:25. Morning is still a long time off. Get Frank on the radio. See if he’ll come in here and take a look at the tape.”

“I can’t get anything on the radio. All I’m getting is static. I just changed the battery… Are you sure nobody is in that tunnel?”

“You want to go check?”

“…No.”

“Okay then. Just try the radio again. The concrete and steel interfere with the reception sometimes when the weather is bad. If that doesn’t work, use the phone and call the Sergeant’s desk.”

“Still nothing.”

“Phone, too?"

“Yeah. No dial tone, just… well it’s not dead. It’s like someone’s on the other end, but they’re not saying anything.”

“Here. Give me the receiver… What the hell?”

“See? What’d I say? Hey! Look at the monitor. It’s forming again. What the…? The screen went dead!”

“I swear to God, I’d quit right now if I didn’t have to leave this room to do it.”

“In the movies, right about now the lights would be going out and… crap.”

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Nice.

The set up is good, the info is there, the mood is good - and I want to know more.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
That was creepy and weird - just the kind of story I like. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
One of the better ones I read this far!

That's all I wanted to say, but we're not allowed to type any one-liners, so I need to type this part as well...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies. I've been enjoying all the other stories so far, but feel a little inhibited as far as commenting. Give me something political to talk about, and 15 opinions come to mind. Give me art, and I'm gun-shy. But everyone is doing a great job!

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I liked it!
It had a funny/scary feel that you don't usually find in todays stories.
Keep up the good work!

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
another well written and enjoyable entry

new topics

top topics

join