It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GR Gravity thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here's a thought.
According o General relativity, large masses bend the fabric of space-time.
Now another way to look at this :
Imagine grid lines through the fabric of spacetime. Nearer to a large mass, space-time is bent more than further away from the large mass. On a Euclidean plane, the grid lines interlock to form several cubes with the same volume. However once the large mass is added, some cubes become distorted so that the cubes nearer to the mass are more distorted and have a smaller volume than those further away. Now the force of gravity acts from cubes with a larger volume( further away from the large mass) to the cubes with the smallest volume(nearest to the large mass). Or from a conventional GR view, 'down the slope' to the large mass.
Now imagine this large mass begins to move in a certain direction. The cubes in the direction of the movement will now be squashed further(decrease in volume) while he cubes at the rear end will expand( they will increase in volume). Now switch back to the conventional GR view. It seems that now the gravity intensity is greater at the direction of motion of the large mass and less at the rear end !!!
So motion affects the Gravity distribution of a large mass !!!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
You watched NOVA on PBS last night, didn't you!! God this stuff is interesting, I have some thoughts on atomic frequency being what acutally is the strings, or branes in string theory. It seems as though as these theories move along, the hypothetical representations of the notions change. Branes came from strings, and I think Branes are actually a representation of certain levels on a wave where the wave happens to "hit" that determines what dimension the entity occupies. So there aren't any "branes" there are just frequencies.... branes being a by-product or a way to understand this notion. Gravity is similar, I believe, because it is a wave hitting at a certain frequency. Because of it's peculiar properties, it has a tendancy to combine weak and strong force, depending on scale, because of its hyper-frequency, this would cause what your talking about I think..

Sorry im at work don't have a glass of scotch in my hand that would help me elaborate my thought.

Good thread, hope we get some more input.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Why a large mass? BTW, nearer is not a word.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
so you are saying that putting a space next to a large mass would warp that space forever ? If this is what you are saying, wouldnt the space/time "cube" return back to its original once its removed from the "warp field" around the large mass ?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   

so you are saying that putting a space next to a large mass would warp that space forever

No that's not what i'm saying. I'm saying that if we have some mass moving in a certain direction. The gravity in the direction of its motion is greater than the gravity in the direction opposite to its direction of motion.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Does it do that ?
Does space/time "compress" in front of a large mass's direction ?
I thought it was equal no matter if it moved or not.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma
It seems that now the gravity intensity is greater at the direction of motion of the large mass and less at the rear end !!!
So motion affects the Gravity distribution of a large mass !!!

This is already known in Physics: it is called the drag effect, and it has been observed with Earth.

new topics

top topics

join