It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel "Ignored" UN Troops Pleas To Stop Firing So Close To Them

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Perhaps the "accidental" destruction of the UN observation post was a carefully planned move on the part of Israel. It has certainly scotched any ideas about the UN putting a force in place and leaves that particular area, close to the Syrian border, unobserved by UN personnel. Convenient?

I think you're on to something here. Tempus revelat, time will tell, but I think soon we will hear of "Israeli 'proof' that Syria is getting involved" The American Administration will be delighted.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
No good in proposing US forces as part of a PK contingent. Especially after their decision to expedite delivery of more shiny new bombs to the Israelis.
I'd also expect to see any attempt to put a UN PK force in place, with any real power to curtail the violence, vetoed by Israels 2nd Ambassador to the UN - John Bolton

It's very clear that the US administration are fully behind Israel in all of this so cannot be included in any impartial force to intervene.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Britguy]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:08 AM
link   
The UN has been a thorn in the side of Israel for ages. Do you really think that the israelis that post here that are obviously prejudiced against the UN are just speaking out of a hat? Of course not. Everyone coming up with excuses for this attack is saying something that is clearly saying that Israel does not trust, nor has it ever trusted the UN, and since the UN does not fight on their side they are basically useless or against them. They bombed the UN forces in Qana in 1982 and again now. They have also attacked UN troops in Israel as well. If you are not for or fighting for Israel you are against her. That should be realized by now. The excuses coming out for israel in this most recent tragedy are flying and its pathetic.

Have we ever seen Israel take responsibility for any of its actions? Its always someone elses fault and its becoming like watching a kid getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar and blaming it on an imaginary someone else forcing him to take the cookies.

A Tank rolls over a Palestinian kid and its the Palistinian kids parents fault for letting him get near the tank

A Peace activist gets run over by a tank and they shouldn't have been there

A Producer of a documentary is shot dead while filming and he shouldn't have been there

They bomb a UN outpost who had communicated 10x they were too close acknowledged the communication, killed them and now its their fault they were there.

I think terrorists who at least take credit for things have more cojones then this so-called democracy who denies responsibility for everything and anything they do or cause to happen. Grow some Juevos Israel for a change! Having all the guns doesn't mean you have all the guts.

If it wasn't for America you'd be groveling in the gutters of Nazi Germany just like the Palestinians do now in Israel. Remember where you came from and think about where you are going. Over 15,000 Arab-americans, muslim and Christian served and died in WWII defending this country and helping to save innocent Jewish lives from the hands of the Nazi's.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
No good in proposing US forces as part of a PK contingent. Especially after their decision to expedite delivery of more shiny new bombs to the Israelis.
I'd also expect to see any attempt to put a UN PK force in place, with any real power to curtail the violence, vetoed by Israels 2nd Ambassador to the UN - John Bolton

It's very clear that the US administration are fully behind Israel in all of this so cannot be included in any impartial force to intervene.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by Britguy]

So make it a unilateral force..Screw the Israelis..
Move in some SA-10 SAM batteries and some Mirage-2000s/Su-27s. Move the CDG into the Mediterreanean.
Israel needs to be stopped. They're not getting rid of Hamas anyways..

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
This was no accident. You dont accidently hit something with a precision-guided missile . Otherwise it wouldn't be very precise.

An accident would be one or two stray shells at most. Global opinion was not in Israel favour before they attacked the UN compound and now world leaders will take a stronger stance. Perhaps this was Israel way of telling the UN to butt out what ever the reason Israel no longer has my 100% backing.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Just heard this on Fox News. An email sent from the Canadian observer that was killed in the shelling of the outpost allegedly states that Hezbollah was setting up rocket launchers and other operations within ten feet of the UN observation outpost. If true, it confirms suspicions that Israel was targeting Hezbollah when the outpost was hit.

The report said that the existence of the email was originally denied by the UN, but that now they are being silent on it.

Fwiw, I had actually heard a similar story immediately after the strike was initially reported, but was unable to find any confirmation.

Details are sketchy, and wil be supplied as they become available.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
How strange. This just pops up. I wonder how Israel has been able to tap into the entire phone system in order to phone each and every citizen to warn them of impending doom. It would also mean they control and have access to all incoming and outgoing internet as well, through the backbone. Very accomplished hackers and easily done.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by bombers8
Just heard this on Fox News.

Kinda disproves it before it starts, really.

Not that I'm saying Fox is biased or anything. No. Never. Not really.

[Just a quick edit to say this is not on Reuters, or the BBC]

[edit on 27-7-2006 by neformore]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
You would actually discount information because Fox News provided it? They may be biased, but to my knowledge they never knowingly post false information.

I think this shows more of where your own sentiments lie on this issue.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
It seems interesting that anyone would find it surprising that a couple UN military personnell were killed in a war zone, near laughable if you ask me, the fact that a big deal is being made of it all. Maybe the UN should get outta there quick before somebody else gets hurt, haha, now THAT'S funny

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
Maybe the UN should get outta there quick before somebody else gets hurt, haha, now THAT'S funny

Maybe just maybe the Israelis should get out instead of the civilians and the UN monitors? So far they have killed Canadians, Brazilians, 4 UN members, over 400 civilians, injured over 1000 civilians,100's of millions in damage, dozens of Israeli dead, 100's of wounded israelis and all that so they could hold onto a piece of land that isn't even theirs and a bunch of prisoners that they kidnapped and held without charges for over 25 years. Its obvious they didn't care about the 2 soldiers that were kidnapped.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   

You would actually discount information because Fox News provided it? They may be biased, but to my knowledge they never knowingly post false information.

I think this shows more of where your own sentiments lie on this issue.

Ah yes. You must be American. Its what I've come to expect on here (sadly) these days - if its on Fox it must be true and if someone questions it they must be a terrorist sympathising Anti-American, Anti Semitic left wing liberal monkey then - am I right?

Or maybe you could have asked me first, in which case I would have patiently explained to you my own background and exactly where my sentiments lie - as follows.

Firstly I'm a white 36 year old normal agnostic British guy.

I believe that both sides in this dispute are equally to blame, that anyone who thinks killing people is going to bring peace is very sadly misguided.

I believe that the families of all the people killed on both sides must be going through absolute hell right now, and I would not like to be in their positions.

I believe that in order to stop a cycle of violence, the word STOP is the most important one.

I beleive that talking peace whilst supplying arms to one of the protagonists in a conflict is hypocritical, and crassly stupid.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Strange as it may seem, the object of war is to kill people and blow stuff up, to annhilate ones enemy would be the goal. And in war, there are always 2 sides. It is apparent the enemy of Israel poked the stick at them one too many times, the consequences are too much for you to bear?

Throwing numbers around is meaningless. It only results in a tit for tat analysis of the presumed statistics, one defending one's side with numbers, the other defending his with numbers, resulting in nothing.

Fact is there are two sides in war, sometimes possibly more, but normally two. It is obvious, for reasons yet obscure, the one side agitated the other here in a way that resulted in the circumstance now apparent in Lebanon.

You know, past wars have included bombings and leveling of entire cities, take London for example, or Hiroshima. And so I presume war is to be fought in a civilized way? Now THAT'S funny

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors
Strange as it may seem, the object of war is to kill people and blow stuff up, to annhilate ones enemy would be the goal. And in war, there are always 2 sides. It is apparent the enemy of Israel poked the stick at them one too many times, the consequences are too much for you to bear?

Throwing numbers around is meaningless. It only results in a tit for tat analysis of the presumed statistics, one defending one's side with numbers, the other defending his with numbers, resulting in nothing.

Fact is there are two sides in war, sometimes possibly more, but normally two. It is obvious, for reasons yet obscure, the one side agitated the other here in a way that resulted in the circumstance now apparent in Lebanon.

You know, past wars have included bombings and leveling of entire cities, take London for example, or Hiroshima. And so I presume war is to be fought in a civilized way? Now THAT'S funny

Simplifying war does not justify it. To say that Hezbollah poked Israel with a 'stick' to many times shows your ignorance of the situation, as it is a much more complicated situation that goes back over 20 years. I will over simplify the situation by saying Hezbollah would not exist if Israel did not occupy the Sheeba Farms.

Your examples are over 60 years old, warfare has changed alot by then. Back in WW2 their was no guidence systems, pilots had to go on their own senses when to simply "drop" a bomb, and they would just hoped it hit. For a example this is the reason the allied forces didnt bomb the nazi death camps in fear that they would kill more jews than overns. Modern warfare is accurate and delicate, it is like performing heart surgery, so to say that the U.N. soldiers are just simply collateral damage is a lie.

Aslo, im sorry but if people dont accpet Al Jazeera as a realiable source, FOX news cannt be taken as one either.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Just heard this on Fox News. An email sent from the Canadian observer that was killed in the shelling of the outpost allegedly states that Hezbollah was setting up rocket launchers and other operations within ten feet of the UN observation outpost.

Janes Intel and Stratfor sources have a similar story, and will be posting the email for subscribers. The email says 3 meters though, not 10 feet.

Janes also says Israeli UAV AND F-16 may have camara footage of the strike, so there may be more than one video angle.

The weapon was LGB, meaning someone, most likely on the ground, had to paint the target with a laser.

While people are jumping to conclusions, I'd encourage sane people to wait for the investigatin.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
They stopped alright, just after they'd hit their targets.

So you fall in line behind (Anti-Isreal) Annan who said Israel deliberately
targetted the UN post?
If Israel was firing around the post it was because
the Hezbollah cowards were once again HIDING behind people - in this case UN
people. Hezbollah has a habit of doing that, and when they do then the people
they hide behind get killed.

Considering how anti-jew the UN is, the people in the post probably invited the
Hezbollah to cozy up to them thinking that would protect Hezbollah from Isreal.
Now THAT would be a conspiracy to talk about!

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
IMO we need to get a U.N peacekeeping force in there asap,preceded by a resolution calling on both forces to cease fire immediately.

Daedalus,

I have a theory, let me know if I am off. When the fighting broke out, Europe started talking about a multi-national force of peacekeepers in the region. The force would enforce Resolution 1559, which btw, Hezbollah doesn't want to have enforced. That means the peacekeepers would have to be armed to the teeth and be ready to fight.

Next we hear Israel say "ok we will accept a multinational force, but we want NATO not the UN," I'll look for the article, but I know it was posted to drudge.

Then a UN outpost gets bombed bythe IDF, further highlighting the problems of a UN led force.

When the Rome meeting happens, everyone wants peacekeepers, nobody wants to contribute.

Now here is my question, did Israel call Europe on their bluff? Europe is who is calling for peacekeepers, and when Israel said "OK," Europe couldn't find more than a few hundred advisors... on the whole continent!

So did Israel tell Europe to put up or shut up? I think they did, but I may have missed something.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Hezbollah was setting up rocket launchers and other operations within ten feet of the UN observation outpost.

There ya' go ... like I said ... Hezbollah was probably cozying up to the UN outpost
and I'd betchya a dozen donuts that they were invited to do so ... of course we
will never know that because the UN outpost idiots are dead and so are the
Hezbollah that were sitting next to them.

The UN outpost was a legitimate target because of the Hezbollah there. IF
Israel decided to hit it (which I doubt they did), but IF they did, then they were
in full right to do so.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by wang
To say that Hezbollah poked Israel with a 'stick' to many times shows your ignorance of the situation, as it is a much more complicated situation that goes back over 20 years.

Au contraire my friend, I can state I am well read with beaucoup common sense and a rather high IQ

Ignorance would be when one limits the history of the middle east to 2 decades, now THAT is funny

Interpretation of events is through the eyes of the beholder.

Israel surely took out a UN post, that is not debateable. Should one believe the UN was successful in its duty to carry out the provisions of resolution 1559 is delusional at best.

Kudo's to the Israeli's for doing the job the UN had been charged to do.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
LIES! LIES!

The original post claim here is a COMPLETE LIE.

Not only did these “Peace Keepers” NOT beg not to be fired on, the commander of the post just a few days earlier sent an email to the UN explaining the “Tactical necessity” of Israel’s bombing of nearby Hezbollah positions.

You see, UNIFIL allowed Hezbollah to set up “static” (permanent) positions all around their base. Just a few meters away in some cases. Proof? No problem. Here is a snip from UNIFIL’s Major Paeta Hess-von Kruedener’s email to the UN reporting on the situation in Lebanon:

"Team Sierra is currently observing both IDF/IAF and Hezbollah military clashes from our vantage point which has a commanding view of the IDF positions on the Golan mountains to our east and the IDF positions along the Blue Line to our south, as well as, most of the Hezbollah static positions in and around our patrol Base."

And:

"What I can tell you is this: we have on a daily basis had numerous occasions where our position has come under direct or indirect fire from both artillery and aerial bombing. The closest artillery has landed within 2 meters of our position and the closest 1000 lb aerial bomb has landed 100 meters from our patrol base. This has not been deliberate targeting, but has rather been due to tactical necessity."

Who is Major Paeta Hess-von Kruedener’s you ask? The commander of the very post that was targeted by the Israeli’s, and yes he is presumed dead.

But there is something much, much deeper and darker going on here the mass media is ignoring:

The reason UNIFIL is in Lebanon in the first place is to DESSARM militant groups such as Hezbollah. Don’t take my word for it, read UN Security Council Resolution 1559 here and see for yourself.

So the natural question here is this: Why was UNIFIL allowing the very militia they are there to disarm and disband to set up PERMINANT positions just meters away from their post? Can you say UN corruption and blatant terrorist collaboration? How much did Hezbollah pay the UN officials for this one?

Oh yes, almost forgot: UNIFIL was sent to Lebanon to disarm HEZBULLAH (and others) in 1978. Great job guys, how many thousands of rockets did you allow Hezbollah to shoot into Israel? How many US Marines (241) did you allow Hezbollah to kill in those barracks back in 1983, years after you arrived?

I have a feeling that if Israel wanted to kill a great deal of Hezbollah TERRORISTS all they need to do is target all the UNIFIL's outposts...

Credit to wizbangblog.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Wizbang for material.

[edit on 27-7-2006 by skippytjc]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join