It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-47B. Northrops big bad beast! Amazing piccies!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
GSA

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have heard of UCAVS, but this must surely take the biscuit as the biggest damned thing to possibly take to the sky without a pilot!!! (Is the polecat wider maybe?)

www.northropgrumman.com...

These three pictures show the sheer size and presence this UCAV has.... I nearly fell off my chair when i saw these pics from northrop.

(OK so its not so new but look at the sheer size of the thing!)

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Sure is a big beautfiul beast.

I'm guessing this is a full size mock up for RCS measurements??
If not... where is the engine exhaust? Has Northrop further developed the mythical electro-dynamic system which may be used on the B2. those leading edges look very B2-ish and you can almost see a conductive copper track around the underside if the aircraft!!! lol

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Dare I say that that is one of the coolest planes ever.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catalytic
If not... where is the engine exhaust? Has Northrop further developed the mythical electro-dynamic system which may be used on the B2.

Its just hidden by covers - this pic is from a model, but you can see intake and exhaust quite clearly:

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Aw shucks!

Thanks Kilcoo, It was a jokey speculation! lol

I have an open mind on advanced propulsion systems on the B2 but to be honest, I think it's probably just wishful thinking. Intelgurl has done some excellent threads on 'spooky' B2 electro dynamic propulsion and now she works for Northrop on UAV's!!!!, maybe she knows... but unfortunately she wouldn't be able to say anything even if she did lol.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I'm guessing this is a full size mock up for RCS measurements??
If not... where is the engine exhaust? Has Northrop further developed the mythical electro-dynamic system which may be used on the B2. those leading edges look very B2-ish and you can almost see a conductive copper track around the underside if the aircraft!!! lol

Im sure this is an RCS model because the first two pictures struck me straight away as appearing to be at the Helendale facility. Compare them both to this image:

GSAs first image seems to show the model being driven out of the silo and the second shows it just about to be raised on the pylon out of the hatch.

The strange thing is the Helendale RCS facility is owned and operated by Lockheed, not Northrop. Northrop do their RCS testing at Tejon which has no such underground areas like those at Helendale and shown in the photos, you can see this here.

I wonder why Northrop were testing their "new and groundbreaking" UCAV at a Lockheed facility.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I have an open mind on advanced propulsion systems on the B2 but to be honest, I think it's probably just wishful thinking. Intelgurl has done some excellent threads on 'spooky' B2 electro dynamic propulsion and now she works for Northrop on UAV's!!!!, maybe she knows... but unfortunately she wouldn't be able to say anything even if she did lol.

I'm fairly sure the electro/magnetics/whatever on the B-2 is merely a form of advanced boundary layer control.

It'll help reduce/stop shock-induced seperations which are inevitable on such a high curvature body in transonic flight.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   

I'm fairly sure the electro/magnetics/whatever on the B-2 is merely a form of advanced boundary layer control. It'll help reduce/stop shock-induced seperations which are inevitable on such a high curvature body in transonic flight.

I think you are right and I don't want to hijack this thread into B2 conjecture. so I'll keep this short.

it is commonly believed that the B2 charges its leading edges to millions of volts (apparently this was revealed by an air force general, reported may times on ATS) this is speculated to increase aerodynamic efficiency and some people speculate it may help reduce RCS. I believe Northrop hold the patents on this type of technology.

I have also read on ATS that Lockheed/Kelly Johnson was staggered by the aerodynamic efficiency of Northrops ATB prototypes (due to the 'electro-magnetics'?????)

My main point is would this system be desirable on the high curvature body of the X47B also????? To me the leading edges and the apex of the nose look very similar to a B2. If this system is cheap enough I can't see why they wouldn't use it, however if it costs a lot then that kinda goes against the concept of using UAV's as a cost reducing force multiplier

CHEERS (be kind) lol

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Wow good post GSA & a beautiful beautiful craft. That thing would not look out of place in Star Trek. Is it me or are the suits releasing more new pictures in the last couple of weeks ?

GSA

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Primary,
did you see my post about the RATTLRS project from the skunk works?

A mach 3 + + Missile with a stealthy looking body and wing, and its engine is rated for mach 4 flight regimes!!!! Mach 4 !!

As to the releases, yes indeed i think the suits are releasing a fair amount of black stuff recently, which to me cannot be released fast enough!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

here read this and drool over their new Mach 3 + + missile system....Looks sweet!

[edit on 27/7/06 by GSA]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
this is cancelled now, is it not?

it reminds me of the alien-ship from 80's film 'flight of the navigator'

[edit on 27-7-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primary Mover
Wow good post GSA & a beautiful beautiful craft. That thing would not look out of place in Star Trek. Is it me or are the suits releasing more new pictures in the last couple of weeks ?

Well it defently seems that more pics are making their way to ATS.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Damn, number specs and flying pictures do not do this thing justice. It makes the truck look like a toy, can only image what its like to see it in person, beautiful too I might add, thanks for the pictures.

BTW the X-47B is not cancelled, the Navy is continuing to fund it.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
What use would the nazy have for this?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Well the navy or navies world wide have been trying to create a UCAV that is capable of working off of carriers. Its the same as the idea of the airforce trying in getting the pilots out of harms way. I dont know the specifics for this UCAV and why exactly its still being funded but i bet you that it has something to do with losing the A-12 and the navy has been trying to get stealth ever since then.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by st3ve_o
this is cancelled now, is it not?

The X-47B as WestPoint23 has stated is not cancelled. The J-UCAS or "Joint Unmanned Combat Air System" has been cancelled but the X-47B as well as the Boeing X-45 program live on thanks to the new "Naval Unmanned Combat Air System" program, aka N-UCAS.
Both Boeing and Northrop Grumman expect a DoD request for proposals late this year or early next for N-UCAS, that will put the 2 US aerospace giants in a head-to-head competition for what should be a winner-take-all contract in April 2007.

That contract will require a tech demonstrator to be fielded by 2012, the project would focus primarily on unmanned operations on aircraft carriers. In other words, the UCAV's will have to demonstrate the ability to take off and land autonomously on an aircraft carrier. (That will be fun...)

Northrop is way ahead of Boeing in the ability to take off and land on a carrier and barring any unforseen surprises (...cough::Lockheed::cough...) Northrop should win the competition hands down, AND be able to field the tech demonstrator 2 years ahead of schedule (2010).

Also pertinant to this discussion is the fact that the US Navy has begun studying the need for a new stealthy strike aircraft - a mission that was once to have been performed by the A-12, (cancelled in 1991). This new strike aircraft may or may not be manned, both options are being considered and the technology that is manifested to win the N-UCAS competition could weigh heavily in the Navy's decision to go manned or not.

Originally posted by jensy
What use would the nazy have for this?

ISR and strike, combined links of the killchain, thus providing a quick strike capability.
Sources:

*Manned vs unmanned: US studies strike options - Flight International, July 25, 2006

*Northrop Grumman Company Memorandum, July 12, 2006, page 4, "N-UCAS Competition Puts '47' Back in the Game"

[edit on 7-28-2006 by intelgurl]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

The B2 does not use electrogravitics or electro-aerodynamics. I know I have participated in a research thread that supports that claim but I was incorrect in my assumptions and humbly acknowledge that now - and "no" this is not an attempt at deception or misinformation.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
…and "no" this is not an attempt at deception or misinformation.

Sure… how much is Northrop paying you again?
I tease of course.

Great info there Intelgurl, but tell me, what do you mean by Lockheed? Will they partner up with Boeing and work on their design or that they will submit a proposal of their own?

[edit on 28-7-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Also pertinant to this discussion is the fact that the US Navy has begun studying the need for a new stealthy strike aircraft - a mission that was once to have been performed by the A-12, (cancelled in 1991). This new strike aircraft may or may not be manned, both options are being considered and the technology that is manifested to win the N-UCAS competition could weigh [edit on 7-28-2006 by intelgurl]

Ah ha i knew i was on the right track with the A-12! thanks for the info again intelgurl. It goes along way to help shape things into a resonable idea. I'm also wondering what type of control system would be used for the N-UCAS? Like would you have the swarm idead with a queen ie a fighter jet/awacs controlling the swarm or would you have a controller say on the ship for each plane?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
looking wise, it looks like a carbon-copy of what the 'Neuron' program is going to look like:-

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

[edit on 28-7-2006 by st3ve_o]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join