It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rapping Hasidic Jew and Hypocrisy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
On the weekend Byron Bay in Australia hosted the "Splendour in the Grass" festival. A neo-hippie two day love-fest that included such luminaries as Sonic Youth and Beach Boy Brian Wilson.
I was quite astounded at the inclusion of MATISYAHU, the rapping Hasidic Jew from Brooklyn. Although his music is filled with lyrics of "love and healing", I find these lyrics quite hypocritical when I look at what Hasidic Jews are doing in Israel.

These photos show Hasidic Jews writing epithets of hate on rockets destined for Lebanon, just as Israeli children were doing last week.

I do wonder how these terrible actions in the Middle East sit with MATISYAHU?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It would be interesting to hear Matisyahu's views on what's going on. Yet isn't it a bit unfair to say his lyrics are hypocritical before knowing his stance on things? Just because he happens to be a Hasidic jew doesn't mean that is ALL he is. Matisyahu is also his own person with his own opinions and ideas and all that.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Don't you mean hip-hop-crasy?

Sorry, somebody had to say it.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
His feelings don't matter right now. Terrorists are firing missles into Isreali cities while the IDF are dropping warnings on Lebenanese of a coming attack on the mourderous scum in their midst. Much more warning than people in Isreal receive.

Wierd how the IDF target the enemy and the terrorist scum just fire off missles in to the middle of Isrealli cities and the media fails to report that. The Isreali army is right there in the open, tanks and all. Yet the scumbags choose to launch missles into cities??? No general would fight a war like that unless, it was about whiping a race off the face of the Earth.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well, both sides have their reasons, and both sides are going about in the most inhumane of ways, pre-attack leaflets or not. Let us not forget who makes the "toys" used to murder innocent and non-innocents alike. Yes...that's right...DEFENSE CONTRACTORS from many different portions of the globe. War doesn't just happen. The making of military weaponry, next to the drug trade, is the most lucrative enterprise in the world yesterday and today. Without war, these people don't get filthy rich. The missile-makers are the bad guys here, far more than the people launching the missiles, who are just acting on ideologies created and altered to spill as much blood-money as possible.

Way off topic I suppose...but yes, it would be interesting to know what Matisyahu thinks of all this. I don't imagine he would support the kind of over-the-top actions of the Israeli military, or the attitudes and beliefs of Hezbollah. Maybe he would rather not make a public opinion, conisdering the backlash he may recieve from fellow followers of his faith, or from secular fans of his great music. It remains to be seen....

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beelzebubba
On the weekend Byron Bay in Australia hosted the "Splendour in the Grass" festival. A neo-hippie two day love-fest that included such luminaries as Sonic Youth and Beach Boy Brian Wilson.
I was quite astounded at the inclusion of MATISYAHU, the rapping Hasidic Jew from Brooklyn. Although his music is filled with lyrics of "love and healing", I find these lyrics quite hypocritical when I look at what Hasidic Jews are doing in Israel.

You do know that Hasidic Jews refuse to serve in the Israeli army, because its too violent, and that the Hasidics largely reject the existence of Israel all together, because it wasn't brought about by the Messiah, right?

None of your photos work, please link to the blog entry that they are from.

As far as matisyahu himself, he seems to infact be entirely opposed to Israeli aggression/defense, which, as I noted, would be in keeping with the Chasidim. He notes that 'firecrackers win now but they never maintain', and seems to even hint that things like 911 were 'the price that you pay for selling lies to the youth', and he's clearly anti-establishment, 'Every politician is a human in disguise', etc.

Instead of blasting the guy for what you think is going on, you should listen to his music.

I mean, do you really think that peaceniks invited him because he's pro-war? THe guy was a big hippy before becoming a Lubavitcher.

I don't even understand how you can say that he's a 'rapper'. Did you listen to any of his music at all, even if not the words? Its Reggae.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor
it would be interesting to know what Matisyahu thinks of all this.

www.myspace.com...

Here is a page with a video of "King without a Crown", which is the more popular song of his right now.
www.videocodezone.com...

I highly recommend it and his music, its excellent.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDoctor
Well, both sides have their reasons, and both sides are going about in the most inhumane of ways, pre-attack leaflets or not.

Yea, whatever. One side is purposely targeting civilians and the other not. Then again, maybe we can get the biggots in hezbolah to stop their attacks. Then we could get to work on making chocolate streams and rasberry streets.

Let us not forget who makes the "toys" used to murder innocent and non-innocents alike.

Yes, I completely agree that it's not right for the chinese, russians and Iranians supply these weps.

War doesn't just happen.

You don't get out much, do you? You'll fix the world, someday. Someday.

Way off topic I suppose...but yes, it would be interesting to know what Matisyahu thinks of all this.

Another man with his beliefs?

[edit on 31-7-2006 by notbuynit]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Lets stick to the topic,"matisyahu was at a peace festival, and that is hypocritcal because he's a jew, and some jews support the war" (not my opinion, just the formulation for the topic).

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
His music want's to be reggea. Nothing wrong with that but what should I be impressed with? He's a jew singing reggea? Wow. Who coulda thought it?

Anyways, he doesn't have it on world affairs or on reggea. God, singer or average joe, he has no answer. Niether do you.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
You do know that Hasidic Jews refuse to serve in the Israeli army, because its too violent, and that the Hasidics largely reject the existence of Israel all together, because it wasn't brought about by the Messiah, right?

Yes I do realise this, I also realise that there is quite a movement within Hasidism that is anti-Zionist. Yet the following article that appeared in the "New York Times" appears to contradict that. If the Hasidics are against what is happening in Lebanon and Gaza they should be protesting in the streets.

Here are some excerpts from the "New York Times":

“Mitzvah tanks,” the brightly painted minivans operated by adherents to the Chabad-Lubavitch branch of Hasidic Judaism, arrived at the junction in the afternoon, broadcasting a sort of Hasidic disco. Their passengers, young men in Hasidic dress with wildly flowing sidelocks, spilled out of the vans dancing and singing, some leaping onto the tanks.

“We’re here to entertain the troops,” a man with a footlong beard shouted from atop one of the vans.

Another group handed out white knit skullcaps bearing the words “Nachman of Uman” in blue Hebrew letters, a reference to Rabbi Nachman of Breslov, the founder of another Hasidic branch. “They protect the soldiers’ lives,” one of the Nachman followers said of the caps. When asked what he thought of the fighting, he summed up what many Israelis are saying these days.

“It’s because of our own foolishness,” he said. “We left Lebanon six years ago and let Hezbollah do whatever they wanted, and this is the result.”

Link to Article

This is what I find hypocritical.

Instead of blasting the guy for what you think is going on, you should listen to his music.

Why doesn't Matisyahu blast these members of his own sect for encouraging the genocide of the people of Lebanon and Gaza.

I mean, do you really think that peaceniks invited him because he's pro-war? THe guy was a big hippy before becoming a Lubavitcher.

A Lubavitcher like the ones that rioted and burned a cop car in New York in April? Doesn't seem very peace loving to me.

I don't even understand how you can say that he's a 'rapper'. Did you listen to any of his music at all, even if not the words? Its Reggae.

You are correct. I am not much of a fan of either form of music, hence my ignorance. Thanks for clearing that up.

[edit on 31-7-2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   

If the Hasidics are against what is happening in Lebanon and Gaza they should be protesting in the streets.

Are you?

This is what I find hypocritical.

They can't be expected to not 'support our troops', especially when israel itself is attacked.

Why doesn't Matisyahu blast these members of his own sect for encouraging the genocide of the people of Lebanon and Gaza.

What genocide?

Why should he have to condem Israel in order to be 'justified' with you?

A Lubavitcher like the ones that rioted and burned a cop car in New York in April? Doesn't seem very peace loving to me.

How many people at that concert denounced Hezbollah and the governments of Iran and Syria, organized demonstrations against them, or called for the UN to bring powerful sanctions against them for their part in the war? Or is it just israel that is expected to be peaceful when attacked?

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   

If the Hasidics are against what is happening in Lebanon and Gaza they should be protesting in the streets.

Are you?

Actually, I did take part in a protest march against the Israel's killing of civilians last week in Sydney, there were thousands of us.

Link to Article on protest

B:This is what I find hypocritical.

N:They can't be expected to not 'support our troops', especially when israel itself is attacked.

In light of what you said earlier about the Hasidic refusal to take up arms, this seems incredibly hypocritical.

B:

N:What genocide?

Take your blinkers off and have a look at what is going on. Qana? Do you think this is going to end any time soon? Israel couldn't even keep it's word as to the 48 hour aerial bombing amnesty. Less than 24 hours later they're at it again. Yet Hezbollah has kept it's word and stopped firing rockets into Israel.

Why should he have to condem Israel in order to be 'justified' with you?

Not with me, but the public as a whole.

[edit on 1-8-2006 by Beelzebubba]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Actually, I did take part in a protest march against the Israel's killing of civilians last week in Sydney, there were thousands of us.

And what have you done this week? Isn't it hypocritical to take part in one anti-war event? Afterall, Matisyahu was at that peace concert, but apparently that's not enough, seeing as how he's a jew and all and has to do more.

In light of what you said earlier about the Hasidic refusal to take up arms, this seems incredibly hypocritical.

Not taking up arms and living in a country in the first place would be hypocritical.

Take your blinkers off and have a look at what is going on. Qana? Do you think this is going to end any time soon?

I don't think it will ever end, and I couldn't care less if it doesn't. So long as people attack Israel, Israel can and should respond. If jewish terror organizations were boming jordan, I'd expect Jordan to respond also.

Israel couldn't even keep it's word as to the 48 hour aerial bombing amnesty.

Hezbollah agreed to no such thing, there was never a 'cease fire'. THe yehudis hit a building that caused a lot of civilian casualties, and decided to tone things down while they tried to figure out what went wrong. Thats not a cesasefire. They'd be idiots to enter into a ceasefire.

Yet Hezbollah has kept it's word and stopped firing rockets into Israel.

Who cares. When Hezbollah surrenders, then it can get some kudos.

photos1.blogger.com...

These photos do not show up. I think you'd need to link to the blog entry that they are in.

Not with me, but the public as a whole.

Why sould they want the public to view them as justified?

[edit on 1-8-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Too bad the rest of his songs suck, lol he did like 1 good performance of that song.

oh and i'm a total hypocrit just to get that out of the way for any future discussion

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   

And what have you done this week? Isn't it hypocritical to take part in one anti-war event? Afterall, Matisyahu was at that peace concert, but apparently that's not enough, seeing as how he's a jew and all and has to do more.

Going to one is better than sitting at home and not doing anything. I am no celebrity whose word can influence many, but I at least try to do something.

I don't think it will ever end, and I couldn't care less if it doesn't. So long as people attack Israel, Israel can and should respond. If jewish terror organizations were boming jordan, I'd expect Jordan to respond also.

Yet you are seeing a government sanctioned Israeli terror organisation bombing Lebanon and you expect them to do nothing?

Do you not care because it isn't happening in your back yard? Methinks that your location should say U.S.A. instead of tellus.

Let's take a look at why Hezbollah "started" this.

Dispute over Lebanese land

So if Israel had've pulled out there would be a good chance that there would have been no agression from Hezbollah.

Hezbollah agreed to no such thing, there was never a 'cease fire'. THe yehudis hit a building that caused a lot of civilian casualties, and decided to tone things down while they tried to figure out what went wrong. Thats not a cesasefire. They'd be idiots to enter into a ceasefire.

B: 48 hour aerial bombing amnesty.

I said nothing of a cease fire.

B: Yet Hezbollah has kept it's word and stopped firing rockets into Israel.

N: Who cares. When Hezbollah surrenders, then it can get some kudos.

Well, that would make it much easier for Israel to go in and wipe out Southern Lebanon.

These photos do not show up. I think you'd need to link to the blog entry that they are in.

They show up fine when I use the links.

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Too bad the rest of his songs suck, lol he did like 1 good performance of that song.

FWIW, I like, in no particular order:
King without a Crown
Exaltation
Chop 'em Down
Close my Eyes
Jerusalem
Unique if my Dove
Fire of Heaven/Altar of Earth
Dispatch the Troops

They're worth giving a listen to.

beelzebubba
Yet you are seeing a government sanctioned Israeli terror organisation bombing Lebanon and you expect them to do nothing?

I expect them to fight to the death, and die.

Do you not care because it isn't happening in your back yard?

Who says I don't care? I'd prefer peace, for everyone and everywhere. I am just being practical, there will never be peace over there until the arabs stop attacking Israel, or until they destroy isreal. They certainly don't have the ability to destroy it, so it looks like its up to them to stop attackign Israel. I certainly don't expect Israel to surrender or not respond when attacked. THey're entitled to occupy the whole of the middle east, if its War that the middle east wants. Amazingly, they're opted not to do that, they've steadily given up the buffer zones that they seized in previous wars, like south lebanon, the sinai, gaza, and give local people's control of their administration, like in gaza before the pullout and the west bank.
The only other way, besides, agian, the yehudis surrendering or the arabs to stop attacking, is for the yehudis to do what empires in the distant past have done to stop these movements, be astoundingly brutal, near genocidal. They've opted not to. Their responses are deadly, but for anyone to think that they aren't reserved is to be completely ignorant of history and the yehudi ability.
I recall looking at a wall carving in a museum from the middle east, in which one empire attacked an enemy city, they captured the king and his kids and beheaded them, beat back the army so that people fled into the torrents of a deadly river rather than stand and fight, and then, when it was over, they made the surviving citizens dig up the bones of their deceased ancestors and grind them into dust.

When the yehudis are doing that I would listen to calls of 'disproportionate response'. Until then, its meaningless. Sinora actually went so far as to say, earlier on in this conflict, c.f. "lebanon is experiencing the worst ravages that any nation has ever experienced".
Please. They've been bombed. If he is representative of the average arab in the region, then they're going to be pretty surprised in a few years.

They show up fine when I use the links.

Maybe its just not working for me then.

Well, that would make it much easier for Israel to go in and wipe out Southern Lebanon.

Do you actually think that hezbollah is some military force that is preventing the yehudis from wiping out S. Lebanon?

[edit on 1-8-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Lets stick to the topic,"matisyahu was at a peace festival, and that is hypocritcal because he's a jew, and some jews support the war" (not my opinion, just the formulation for the topic).

Wait a minute. I just caught this. Read what you said. Not your opinion. "he's a jew at a peace festival". Can't have that can we? " A jew at a peace festival" and all. Ever don on you that peace doesn't include the rape and murder of my daughters and the firing of missles into my city?. Maybe peace means don't attack us and we won't attack you?

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well, I'm an ass. Springer proved it. I must take back everything I said. Not too proud to admit when I'm wrong. Should've read the whole thread. I'm an ass for the second time or third or fifth or sixth...

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by notbuynit
Maybe peace means don't attack us and we won't attack you?

Why does it matter that he is a jew? Not every jew on the planet shares the same brain, they're not animals, they're people, with independent thoughts and free wills. Its obscene to suggest that a jew can't participate in a peace festival.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join