It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

400,000 Muslims in Texas Equal 400 potential Terrorists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
While surfing the net for stories today I came accross this Google Video that alleges there are 400,000 Muslims in Texas and I find that very hard to believe since Mich is said to have the most at 300,000.

It should be noted if this is true we could have a potential 400 potential terrorists just in Texas assuming that just one percent turn fanatic, which is not good.

Frankly I think the site that put up the video is just pushing the figures high intentionally and this source more or less backs up my logic by stating were only
approximately 140,000 -- in Texas 1990 estimates

My question is this; Do we have a brewing Religious social problem in Texas based on this claim?

[edit on 7/25/2006 by shots]

CX

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Is that a fact that one percent turns fanatic? Any links to these facts?

CX.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Is that a fact that one percent turns fanatic? Any links to these facts?

CX.

The Harvard Reveiw estimated there were approximately 4 percent fanatic Muslims in 2003 of which 1 percent were Jihadists so I assume it is fact.

Source

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
400 potential terrorists? Thats it?

Given the fact that there are WAY many more Christian extremists in Texas, Id say Im more worried about the Christian nutters. Where as Muslim terrorists have not struck Texas yet, every day Christian nutjobs and moralistic extreme rightwingers legislate away rights and liberties.

Way scarier than a handful of MAYBE suicide bombers.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
My question is this; Do we have a brewing Religious social problem in Texas based on this claim?

With the few that turn extreme, maybe so in the shorter term. With the ones that don't, maybe so in the long run, but not likely. The Muslims I have worked with here in the US have been some of the kindest, friendliest and most ethical people I have ever met. And really DO live by their religion, unlike a lot of the supposed Christians who only seem to live half by it. Well, ok ok, 3/4's.

And Skadi, lol, you got a point. But I think they're both dangerous in different ways. Generally speaking, I think both of these groups prefer peace. But only in the population- not in government. When you throw Jewish people in the mix, not sure either of the first two benefit.

What could be alarming though is if those few that did turn extreme followed sinister orders from Iran or Hezbollah, to aid in a terrorist attack on US soil- right down the street from your house or mine. I'm a little more worried about Hezbollah sleeper cells in the US awakening than about any brewing religious problems between the two groups, shots. But still, from a sheer statistics standpoint, looks like they're already here.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
The Muslims I have worked with here in the US have been some of the kindest, friendliest and most ethical people I have ever met.

I also have found them just as you have, but that was in the past when we did not have fanatics trying to recruit more followers. Just to clarify this will not change the way I feel about the ones that I already know and consider friends.

Knowing that Texas is in the Bible Belt religion can get to be a heated battle at times and as I mentioned I think the site that posted the outrageous claim over inflated their figures to make it appear as there were more then there actually are to bolster their Ego in Texas. In laymans terms it is kind of like saying our religion is bigger/better then yours is; if you get my drift.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
4% of all muslims fanatic with 1% jihadists?

You do know that would imply there are 40 Million Muslim extremists and 10 Million Muslim "terrorists" right?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
4% of all muslims fanatic with 1% jihadists?

You do know that would imply there are 40 Million Muslim extremists and 10 Million Muslim "terrorists" right?

I believe that 1 percent of 40 million would be 400,000 not 10 million so that would sound about right world wide

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

An estimate on how many Muslim extremists there might be in the world is here:

Using this rough methodology to calculate the numbers of active Islamic militants, I came up with approximately 32,500 individuals involved in “designated foreign terrorist organizations” and approximately 13,000 individuals in “other” groups. Not including those organizations for which the number of militants was listed as “unknown,” I come up with a figure of roughly 45-50,000 armed fighters ready to wage war against all things non-Muslim. And even if I’m off by a factor of 2 (particularly given the “unknowns” listed in the report), the number is somewhere around 100,000 worldwide.

Assuming 1.2 billion Muslims in the human population, the number of actual Islamic extremist fighters accounts for maybe – maybe – .00833%, or less than one one-hundredth of one percent of the Muslim population.

I do not suggest that this calculation is definitive, though it is fairly rational, but it is safe to say that nowhere near one percent of Muslims have been so radicalized that they would take up arms against the west.

So then the next question becomes how many of them are actually on US soil. Guesses anyone? My guess would be 5 to 50, ready to kill all things non-muslim.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:00 PM
link   

So then the next question becomes how many of them are actually on US soil. Guesses anyone? My guess would be 5 to 50, ready to kill all things non-muslim.

His estimates seem logical, however I tend to think he was overly conservative in his numbers.

Coming up with a good estimate will be extremely hard to do considering that he estimated their high at 1.2 billion where as others put the figure between 700 million and 1.2 billion. They do tend to inflate their numbers on all of their websites

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I hear ya shots. So then whatcha think, more than 5-50 on US soil, you say? 100 - 200 maybe?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

I believe that 1 percent of 40 million would be 400,000 not 10 million so that would sound about right world wide

So you mean 1% of the 4% who supposedly are fanatical muslims are terrorists, not 1% of the whole?

Anyways, I'm thinking the amount of muslims that would actualy join terrorist groups and carry out bombings and terrorist attacks like 911 are more in the area of a few 1000.

The 100k figure is more about people willing to fight a war like against the russians in the 80's in Afghanistan even if it were on the other side of the globe.

At least they would do it for their convictions, beliefs or religion, compared to the 100k and probably more mercinaries around the world that fight for whoever pays them enough.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I hear ya shots. So then whatcha think, more than 5-50 on US soil, you say? 100 - 200 maybe?

Perhaps for Britain but the US I tend to think it is still higher. Keep in mind Hezbollah and Iran stated they allegedly have anywhere from 2,000 to 42,000 suicide bombers depending on which source you use that claim they are ready to strike.
Iran has 40,000 human time bombs ready to strike US

The additional 2,000 came from a claim out of Syria or Lebanon last week.

At that point the question becomes are they in or out of the US?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Anyways, I'm thinking the amount of muslims that would actualy join terrorist groups and carry out bombings and terrorist attacks like 911 are more in the area of a few 1000.

And according to published threats or reports you would be wrong.
Tehran Threatens West With 40,000 Homicide Attacks

And that is just Iran now add Lebanon ans Syria and you have 42,000 to which you have to add al qaeda and associates.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
400 potential terrorists? Thats it?

Given the fact that there are WAY many more Christian extremists in Texas, Id say Im more worried about the Christian nutters. Where as Muslim terrorists have not struck Texas yet, every day Christian nutjobs and moralistic extreme rightwingers legislate away rights and liberties.

Way scarier than a handful of MAYBE suicide bombers.

Waco Texas comes to mind. Not all Muslims are evil, not even 1% want to blow them selves up. There is a difference between radical Islam in the ME then Islam here at home, the Jihad is a way of life over their and has been for about half a century. Here in the states Muslims have no reason to join a jihad as they will gain nothing from it. And I agree with you Skadi that the Christian right is far more scary then Muslims.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Waco Texas comes to mind.

I was wondering if you could clarify this. What's your take on Waco?

And I agree with you Skadi that the Christian right is far more scary then Muslims.

How many recent atrocities can you think of that were perpetrated in America in the name of Christianity?

[edit on 2006/7/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
How many recent atrocities can you think of that were perpetrated in America in the name of Christianity?

Yup, Grady. I was thinking along the same lines. As in, how many whacked out Christians become suicide bombers?

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

No many since colonial times . . . but I guess when it comes to faith it seems that Islamic fundamentalist seems to hold their believes more than Christians does.

A Christian will never blow himself for its God.
I guess at the last moment they wonder if God will be waiting for them after all.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I can hardly believe what I am reading here.
We are walking a fine line on the edge of racism, hate, and alarmist fear mongering.

If we go by statistics, we are much more likely to be killed in car wreck than by a Muslim suicide bomber.

I am infinitely more likely to be mugged by a young, white, male, gang member than I am to be injured by an extremist Muslim.

I am more likely to be raped by a middle aged, white, male who was raised Christian than I am to be caught in an explosion set off by a suicide bomber.

I won't bother to look up the numbers on this, but I think if you will just think about my next statement you will find it to be true. Add up all the people killed by terrorists, then add up all the people who have died of other causes. Compare.

A real social problem could happen however, if we begin to suspect all Muslims and treat them as if they are dangerous, hateful, warlike, and armed.

I just moved from Texas about 2 months ago. I never met a dangerous Muslim there, but I met countless radical, "Christian", KKK members. They frightened me.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
wellwhatnow

I feel exactly like you about this thread but I rather took the cynical side than bend to the thread obvious line of discussion.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join