It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic abilities and the Lottery.......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ok, I am going to use the Lottery as my basis for this question, so just hang in there for a minute.

There was a thread awhile back talking about psychic abilities and such. I posted a response about predicting lottery numbers. Someone followed up with it can't be done. It would require a massive amount of "energy" focused on that one event. Also, I checked out that psychic's webpage, that Brian guy. He had lottery predictions. Of course peopel called this a hoax.

Ok, so using the lottery as a backbone to this question: How do psychi abilities work?

Do I believe people have psychic abilities? Yes. But I dont understand how they work. Some people claim to predict the future, others claim to speak to the dead, while others can solve crimes. With these abilities, they can concentrate on certain things, but others they cannot, such as the lottery. So how does it work?

Lets start general here. Someone who can predict certain events in the future. How does this come about? Does someone just have a dream that bothers them to a point they can't let it go? Do they have flashes before their eyes? What I am getting at is, how can you tell, I will call it a vision, a vision apart from your imagination or just random thoughts in your mind?

Let's throw in someone who can speak to the dead. John Edwards. I am sorry, but feel he is a fraud. Now, I do understand that there are individuals out there who can do this. But how do you know for sure that what you are seeing is not a hallucination or some kind of chemical inbalance? To better describe what I am asking, I will tell a story from college, dont laugh, may sound stupid, but has a valid point. My old roomate used to be into ecstacy a lot. One night during a party he took to many. His face was white and he was scared to death. He kept saying there were dead people walking around and sitting next to him. So with that being said, was this a chemical inbalance causing a hallucination, or did this open up some kind of door in his mind?

I have watched many crime shows on TV that show how a psychic helped solve a murder case. I find those amazing. But how are these people seeing these things. Visions? Flashes? How do you seperate these "visions" from everyday random thoughts?

So, my point of this post is/are the question(s):
How do psychic abilites work? How come you can focus on one thing, such as a murder or event, but not another, ie the Lottery? How do you seperate the "psychic" thoughts you are having from the everyday random thoughts that run through your mind.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

How do psychic abilites work? How come you can focus on one thing, such as a murder or event, but not another, ie the Lottery? How do you seperate the "psychic" thoughts you are having from the everyday random thoughts that run through your mind.

I have often heard that psychic's cannot use their ablility on themselves for self gain which might be an easy way of saying they don't really possess the ability. It doesn't make any sense to me either in that regard.

I have also heard that mediums use alot of meditation to quiet the mind for clarity on what are actually thoughts verse psychic speaking.

Don't really know just my 2 cents.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
i think that if someone has ability to see the future , why cant they see 5 numbers? i agree with you on that.
also i know what you mean with your friend. i used to do alot of ecstacy and shrooms )( among other things) and i think that it does open a part of your mind. it makes you understand more., either that, or it just makes you crazy???
i can see things sometimes. its in my dreams, its really wierd, kind of like i will be doing something in a dream then, ( it could be like 2 years later) i am doing exactly what i was doing in the dream, even the conversation is the same. soemtimes i see people in the dream, who i have no idea who they are, and then ( like i said someitmes years later) i see that person and i am talking to them and the dream is coming true. and then i think to myself, thats who that was. i dont know its kind of wierd. so i guess some people see it in dreams. sometimes its just like a voice in your head telling you.
this is a true story as well/
when i was 12 years old , my parents were divorcing and my mom was having a really hard time. we were staying at my grandmas. well my mother went in to the bathroom and shut the door. ( there was no sign of anything when she went in) well all of a sudden a voice came in my head, ( it was so strong like someone was urging me, i couldnt shake it no matter what i did)
the voice said that my mom was trying to kill her self. so i knocked on the door and she wouldnt answer. i came in the bedroom and told my grandma that my mom was trying to kill her self . ( my granma looked at me like i was crazy) well my grandma busted the door down, and my mom had taken a razor and slit her wrists.
so i dont know how everyone gets their visions or what not. but thats how i got mine.

im out
-mindtrip02

[edit on 25-7-2006 by mindtrip02]

[edit on 25-7-2006 by mindtrip02]

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Don't know if this helps or not, but last night I was watching The Dead Zone and the main character Johnny said: his abilities only work when there is something he needs to see, not wants to see. So maybe thats it.
Oddly enough the episode was about a guy winning the lottery

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Okay i can't remember the names, but during the cold war a parapsychologist in I think either Bulgaria or Hungary got funding from the government to conduct experiements in ESP. One of the tests he used was ability to predict lottery numbers in the state lottery, and had some success with it.

Can't remember the names but the experiments are fairly well known nowadays and you should be able to find out the information fron google. I'll have a look and get back to you if I find anything.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
My mistake, it was Czechoslovakia, the guy's name was Dr. Milan Ryzl, and here is a link that has some information about it:

www.williamjames.com...

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Many people who claim to be psychic don't choose to be. They just get random dreams and whatnot predicting things. So they can't sit and think "What will happen on Sept. 25th" and automatically get the outcome. They just are randomly fed images and thoughts without thinking about it or purposefully trying to do it.

As for the lottery numbers thing, there is a test involving the lottery on www.gotpsi.org

Everyone is psychic to some extent. It just takes training and practice for some people, while a select few are born with a 'natural gift'. If you look around the internet, you can find lots of information and exercises on how to increase your psychic abilities, intuition, or even telekinesis. So lardo5150 I suggest that instead of taking people's word for it, you try it yourself and either prove or disprove it to yourself. Because that's all that matters, no matter what anyone else says on the topic.

There are many different methods psychics use. You could recieve your information only while deep asleep, or closing your eyes and seeing it 'on the screen behind your eyelids', or even with your eyes open transposed over the real world.

As a general rule, I would steer clear of anyone claiming to be psychic or able to enable you to become psychic who charges money. Most psychics like John Edwards use cold reading.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Good infor here everyone

Ya, I hear what you are saying about John Edwards. The only time I went to a paid psychic was at this dog carnival at the pet store. She was an "animal psychic". I paid for it, and I went into it knowing that this was just for my entertainment. Fun though

I do like the example of the dreams mindtrip. The strong feeling of urgency is cool to.

I am going to check out gotpsi.org, thanks Yarcofin.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I was interested in what you were saying about the lottery thing so I decided to give it a try, using the website I mentioned. Here was my result:

Total 20 matches in 25 trials, hit rate 0.80 per trial

I never guessed the entire set of numbers correct. The highest I got was 3 out of 5. But I usually got at least one number correct each time.

Anyway my results were 6.5 to 1 against chance. If you look in the Hall of Fame I am second place for today (7/26/2006). My username on there is Yarcofish.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
There was a brief article in the newspapers several years ago, concerning a monk in Laos who had predicted the winning lottery numbers eleven times in a row. From the sound of it, he didn't seek to benefit himself: he told the winning numbers to peasant villagers. People flocked to him from miles around. The article went on to say that the government of the country involved finally refused to pay out on the winning numbers. And the monk was said to have been 'forbidden' from taking part in anything involving the national lottery. Whether or not he ended up dead, it didn't say.

So, if the news articles are to be believed, it's possible to accurately predict numbers that will provide enormous wealth, in the same other things can be predicted. I tried a few times, several years ago, but didn't even come close. When I make no effort at all, I at least get three or four out of six. So I think my ingrained guilt (instilled by religion) about 'getting rich' totally sabotaged my conscious attempts.

As far as precognition is concerned, my own experiences have been largely spontaneous. They came to me, out of the blue, and proved to be extremely accurate. The information was delivered via dreams quite often. The dreams 'feel' different to others when you awake. At other times the information has just landed in my mind with a thump. And at other times it's arrived in bits and pieces and built into 'the whole picture'.

On at least one occasion, I consciously determined the outcome of a situation. I didn't know I could do it. At the time, I was in an anxious frame of mind. It took only about ten minutes. It was completely improvised -- in other words, I 'invented' the little ceremony. It was by no means elaborate. Basically, I engaged raw will, I suppose -- combined it with a bit of mild mumbo-jumbo -- and aligned it with a certain external energy I seemed to realise was there for the taking. I got what I thought I wanted so much. Three weeks later I realised I didn't want it at all. It didn't turn out badly. Nothing 'bad' happened to anyone. No-one was hurt. But after that little experiment, I realised that by bending things to my will, I'd robbed someone else of opportunity that may well have been right for, or intended for, them. So I haven't done that again. But --- I was astonished at how easy it was. Scared me a bit, to tell the truth.

I've seen a couple of ghosts. I don't think I played any role at all. It was spontaneous. From that, I've reached the conclusion (correctly or not) that ghosts ARE there. Possibly it's quite natural that they should be there, and under certain conditions (relating to the ghosts or the witnesses I'm unable to say) people are able to see them. As well as seeing other 'things'.

Possibly, some people are able to see ghosts deliberately. I've never tried, but some do, and claim success. And I've read that certain drugs (for example) have the ability to strip away the barriers that usually contain us within what we ordinarily regard as 'reality'. It seems there are some strange things out there.

Some people see and/or communicate with what we term 'spirits' often and quite casually -- without drugs, meditation or any form of preparation. I had at least one family member on both sides of the family (both gone now) who were able to do it. They were perfectly ordinary people, otherwise. I think it began in childhood and they got used to doing it before they realised it was considered unusual. So it was just part of their everyday life.

Personal experience over many years has caused me to suspect that the 'dead' can influence the living. No doubt some spirits may choose not to do so. I've been fortunate: the spiritual influence has, for the large part, been of protective nature. Others are not so fortunate. Someone I knew for many years appeared to be under the influence of something malign. It has 'protected' her, but she's become a loathsome individual who would have been far better off without her spiritual mentor. What are we to make of that, other than to think: 'There but for the grace of God, go I. '

Malachi Martin advised that certain spirits 'choose' the one they'll influence even before that person is born. Martin said this in relation to a particularly cursed individual who went on to commit a series of horrendous crimes against others. Martin claimed the foul spirit involved actually made this claim; claimed it 'owned' the murderer; dictated the murderer's thoughts and actions. And someone distinguished and famous (can't remember who) wrote that one night, whilst in a tavern, he witnessed a foul spirit climb onto the back of a young man who was drunk, and compelled the man to continue to drink. All the while, the spirit gorged itself on the alcohol it craved, via the unfortunate man it had taken possession of.

There are quite a few warnings about indulging in alcohol and drugs. It's said that when we basically surrender control of our minds (and spirit?) to alcohol or drugs, we leave ourselves 'open' to spirits. Sex and occult practices too, are said to make us vulnerable to spirit 'takeover'. All of which makes easy to see why people developed religion; why they paid homage and tribute to their chosen god, in return for its protection. Religions and spirits have been around as long as mankind. Every generation discovers the occult anew. Every generation is fascinated. Some skim the surface non the worse for wear. Some lose their minds and worse. Others are given a good fright.

I've sort of reached the conclusion that it (the whole 'paranormal' issue) is similar to a multi-lane highway. It can take you to some fantastic places, show you a lot along the way, teach you a lot ... or leave you burning in a ditch. When travelling-blind, it makes sense to have a friend by your side, or to at least possess a map. But how reliable is the map? And who is that by your side?

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
dock6
i agree with you about the drug thing. it does open your mind to things that usually you would be "blind" to.
ive seen ghosts also. but im not scared of them. i know that they are just " stuck" or waiting for something.
also when you open doors that you are not ready to open , you better be sure you want to get into that sort of thing. becuase sometimes you cant turn it off.

im out
-mindtrip02

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Ya know, I don't know why it doesn't work. I have a couple of theories. One is that most psychic abilities are geared twards other people, and numbers don't have an energy of some kind to them, so you cannot pick up on numbers. Although for myself, when I go to the store, if I get an urge, I will buy scratch off tickets and do rather well. Make my money back, but never hit big, only a couple of bucks over, rarely lose that way though. That actually comes from an itch when I walk up to the counter, and whereever the itch is on my body, I look at the rows of tickets and try to figure out where that itch is coming from. People think that because someone is psychic they will just know everything or a lot about the future, thats not always if hardly ever the case, psychic abilities are geared for survival. THats why we all have them, self preservation. I took several years of practice to highen mine, and even now it can be very illusive, and generally on a day to day basis, they serve to let me know when something is wrong or is someone has a "bad vibe" to them, meaning they will somehow do me harm some day.
I have always wonderd about picking numbers, I have never tried because I just assume its not going to work. It doesnt feel like it would, just a feeling.

Also when you use your abilities for other people, money may not be what they really need. They may think it is, but in the bigger picture, large amounts of money can be harmful to a persons health. Over the years I have done a lot of readings for people, and it tends to go on relationships, or jobs, or children, and social issues, not so much monitary. I wish I could win the lottery though, but I am one of those people who would probibly end up dead from having to much fun

Also a lot of the time, what a psychic does is a kind of spiritual work, they communicate through guides and spirits, and and it seems that in thier view (spirit) unless it's already in your destiny, you wont win. Everyone has a path they take, and large amounts of money might screw up some sort of plan that the spirit world has for you.

Just my 2 cents

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by lardo5150

I have watched many crime shows on TV that show how a psychic helped solve a murder case. I find those amazing. But how are these people seeing these things. Visions? Flashes? How do you seperate these "visions" from everyday random thoughts?

Every psychic is different, and experiences it differently, but for me it is like a movie that I see in my head, sometimes like a slide show of pictures and images that is so strong in my mind, that it feels like I am sitting in front of a wide screen tv. As to how, my opinion is that messages come through the same are of the mind that your imagination and artistic abilities do. Its like imagining a painting that you can see very clearly in your mind. As to how you seperate that from everyday thought, this is why self awareness is important to a psychic. You have to know yourself on a very deep level so you know what is you and what is not. Once you are able to do that well enough, it becomes very easy to have psychic visions, and they become clearer.

This and my above post I hope answers some of these questions, or at least from what I have experienced, answers these questions. Every psychic is different and experiences it differently, but I think some of these things are universal.

As a very good psychic and friend once told me, you have to know yourself, and although that sounds like a typical answer, it is VERY true. You cannot tell what is yours and what is spirit or someone elses unless you know your own thinking on a VERY deep level.

[edit on 26-7-2006 by Darkblade71]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
i have the same thing with the " bad vibes". i can meet someone and totally get the weirdest feeling, either it can be bad, like that person is evil. or it could be that the person is just a creep. i can even look at people just driving down the road, and know what kind of person they are. it has to be someone i see in person though, it cant be someone im talking on the phone with. i guess maybe its has to do with their face or eyes?
any way, its a pretty good thing to have. be thankful that you have it. because some people are just so bad at reading people and usually they end up getting hurt.
i was only wrong about 1 person in my whole life. so i guess you cant be right all the time

im out
-mindtrip02

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Very awesome responses darkblade

I like the explanation of how the numbers dont have energy, that makes a lot of sense. I have never thought of it that way. I am going to run a google search today for that monk who could predict the numbers.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
As far as the abilities only working for what the psychic 'needs to see', or not using it for personal benefit, surely there are other people out there that need to win the lottery.

And psychics charge a lot for their readings and prognostications. Hell, J. Edwards has a television series, and Sylvia Browne makes lots of talk show apperances.

new topics

top topics

join