It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Light faster in Light?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Light photons travel faster than the speed of light. Light reflected off a mirror also travels faster than the speed of light.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality
lol.

I digress....

(anyone else feel my pain?)

Only if you stick your toe in the bog of eternal stench ;p

HOggle ;p

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
What's with the Japanese keyboard in your avatar?

p.s. "what's that???" -it's plastic. "OHHHHHHH!! plas-tic!"

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akraites
Light photons travel faster than the speed of light. Light reflected off a mirror also travels faster than the speed of light.

LOL!

Is that what your science teacher told you??

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   
No, its what astronomy taught me. If you don't believe light photons are faster than light itself then:

a) you should probably research it
b) stop speaking since you obviously don't know what you're talking about

kthxbai

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

No, its what astronomy taught me. If you don't believe light photons are faster than light itself then:

kthxbai

You didn't answer my question...let's try again:

Who taught you astronomy?

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Jesus did. Next question.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

kthxbai

Sorry, I've been terribly busy. I didn't mean to ignore your questions.

Let me answer with a question of my own:
What is light made out of exactly?

I await your thoughtful reply.

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
You have yet to address my comment.

Light is made out of particles known as photons.

The speed of light is but the average speed, so photons do in fact travel faster than the speed of light. But I'm sure you knew that already.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by Akraites]

posted on Aug, 9 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   

You have yet to address my comment.

Light is made out of particles known as photons.

The speed of light is but the average speed, so photons do in fact travel faster than the speed of light. But I'm sure you knew that already.

[edit on 9-8-2006 by Akraites]

Ohhhh...edited that in before i could reply.
Yes, its a technicality...much like the speed of sound in water, solid, etc..

El Fine.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Wrong. In a vacuum, the photons are still moving faster than light itself.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Wrong. In a vacuum, the photons are still moving faster than light itself.

I mentioned different mediums, not a vacuum specifically. As was made obvious, I was relating it to the speed of sound through different mediums. The below confirms this:

In most situations in condensed matter physics when light is travelling through a medium, it effectively has a slower speed. Virtual photons in some calculations in quantum field theory may also travel at a different speed for short distances; however, this doesn't imply that anything can travel faster than light.

And no, photons are not faster than c always, only in this case:

Photons move at a speed less than c, unless they are travelling in vacuum.

Just in case you try to backtrack:

In certain highly unusual circumstances, it is also possible to prepare experiments in which the group or phase velocity of light exceeds c. Since these velocities are mathematical constructs, these faster than light observations do not indicate any contradiction with causality or special relativity, as no information or energy travels faster than c.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
You're comparing sound traveling through water to light traveling through a vacuum, thus you are still incorrect.

As I said, photons travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. You only served to confirm my statement. Again, not all photons travel faster than the speed of light and not all photons travel slower than the speed of light. The speed of light is the average speed.

I didn't say the fact that photons are able to move faster than the speed of light the the laws of special relativity are completely destroyed. Since you aren't knowledgable about this subject, you find it necessary to copy and paste material that has nothing to do with what I've stated other than the fact that its in the same field.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

You're comparing sound traveling through water to light traveling through a vacuum, thus you are still incorrect.

As I said, photons travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. You only served to confirm my statement. Again, not all photons travel faster than the speed of light and not all photons travel slower than the speed of light. The speed of light is the average speed.

That is why I was making the comparison: to illustrate the reason for both being averages and not constants. If you look at my statement and not worry so much about proving yourself (i.e. one sentence statement of facts that are off topic) then the confusion can be avoided in the future.

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I think light is accelerated through quartz crystal too...

Here is the article

archives.cnn.com...

- they are saying Cesium vapor is where the acceleration is happening.. I read somewhere that this is similar with quartz or some other crystal...

[edit on 10-8-2006 by tha stillz]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality
What's with the Japanese keyboard in your avatar?

p.s. "what's that???" -it's plastic. "OHHHHHHH!! plas-tic!"

Hey there,

Firstly haven't any of you heard of quantum tunneling?

This phenomenon occurs due to the very strange way that particles have a chance of being in more than one place. This is due to the fact that light can be considered to be both particles and an energy wave.

Without going into this in too much depth cause it does blow your mind a bit, i'll give you an example.

If you were to shine a torch at a wall and then measure the other side of the wall for photons you would detect some photons.

When the light hits the wall the photons have a very real chance of being at another location other than the side of the wall the light strikes. Every few million photons one will 'tunnel' to the other side.

The interesting fact is that the photons that tunnel reach the detector at a velocity of 1.5 times the speed of light.

HOWEVER....

Although this is a very real phenomenon the key to fast than light travel is information, and you absolutely cannot send information faster than light.

Anyone has any questions or wants me to go into the nitty gritty on this then please ask away, but be prepared to be mind blown
)

All the best people,

NeoN HaZe.

P.S. the Japanese keyboard is cause I studied and worked in Japan for a while, also have a close friend working on the virtual earth project running on one of the worlds most powerful computers, the keyboard is one of the desktop screens over at their labs.

[edit on 10-8-2006 by Neon Haze]

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Neon:

Tunneling was a word I remember the person using when discribing the phenomenon with quartz...

If you have some spare time, feel free to blow us away!

posted on Aug, 10 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Neon Haze:

Yep, I studied quantum in college.

I thought that you might have had some contact over here. I know of the project, quite ambitious, but with big dividends.

p.s. no comment for the plastic quote?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 12:47 AM
link   
What about quantum entanglement? Isn't that instantaneous, independent of distance?

posted on Aug, 11 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Faster than the Speed of Light by Joao Magueijo
E=mc2

1+ mc2
___
E p

Originally posted by caspiantiger
I know this is probly going to sound stupid, becase im just a kid and all but, Say we were in the vast expanses of space, just floating there. The closest massial(i dont know if thats a word, meaning closest thing with mass) object is 100,000,000 light years away in any direction. Now if you had the ability to go from stand still, to light speed wouldnt you not feel any g force because there would be no (or at least bery minimal) gravity, am i right? so why wouldnt we be able to travel at the speed of light? Also, about using an infinite amount of energy to stay at the speed of light, again, there is no gravity, air resistance, or friction to deal with (again, maybee minute amounts but it still wouldnt effect it that much) If your in space, and throw a ball with a velocity of 10 M/s the ball remains at 10M/s until another force acts uppon it to slow/speed it up/down. now saying your far enough away where the forces are at levels so small (.00000000000000000001 % of normal just for example) and you threw the ball 10M/s it would continue going 10M/s for a long time, and slowing only slightly because the forces on it are so small. all im trying to say is that to have a G Force, you have to have a G to begin with.

any feedback would be greatly apreciated. This is just my highschool grad .02 cents worth.

-Binder

[edit on 1-8-2006 by caspiantiger]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join