It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything is Wrong...Facts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   
in the past 20 years approximately 1 million species have disappeared from the world's tropical forests.

from 1960-1985 over 40% of the central american rainforests were destroyed to create grazing land for cattle.

the united states imports over 100,000 tons of beef from central america each year.

it takes 23 gallons of water to produce a pound of tomatoes.

it takes 5,214 gallons of water to produce a pound of beef.

one acre of land can produce 20,000 pounds of potatoes.

one acre of land can produce 165 pounds of beef.

the u.s. cattle industry produces 158 million tons of waste per year.

livestock production is the #1 cause of water pollution in the u.s.

22 million acres of land have become unusable due to desertification.

85% of the topsoil loss in the u.s. is the result of livestock production.

in the u.s. 33% of all raw material consumption is used solely in the production or meat, egg, and dairy products.

it takes 1 pound of grain to make 1 pound of bread.

it takes 20 pounds of grain to make 1 pound of beef.

75% of the grain sent to 3rd world nations goes to livestock production.

the countries with the diets highest in animal products are also the countries with the highest rates of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, etc.

80% of u.s.d.a. chicken inspectors no longer eat chicken.

50 percent of men who eat meat regularly die of heart disease.

4 percent of men who eat no animal products die of heart disease.

if the average commuter passenger load in the u.s. were increased by just 1 person per day we would save 3 million gallons of gas each day.

americans spend over 1 billion hours stuck in traffic each year.

30% of u.s. greenhouse gas emissions come from cars.

air is sold in mexico city for $1.15 a minute by sidewalk vendors.

what greenpeace spends in a year general motors spends in 4 hours.

3.5 million children under the age of 6 suffer from lead poisoning.

in europe 50% of the cars still use leaded gas.

2 million gallons of motor oil are dumped in american waterways each year.

over 8 million tons of oil are spilled into the world's oceans every year.

5 billion gallons of water are flushed each day in the united states.

sewage treatment facilities in the u.s. discharge 5.9 trillion gallons of sewage wastewater into coastal waters every year.

u.s. tuna fishermen are permitted to kill over 20,000 dolphins every year.

2 million sharks die in driftnets in the north pacific every year.

only 1 in 10 baby chimpanzees survive the trip from the jungle to the zoo.

1 billion animals are killed each year in experiments.

17 million animals are trapped In the u.s. each year for fur.

many traps are so painful that animals chew through their own limbs to escape.

for every fur animal trapped, two other animals (dogs, cats, deer, etc) are trapped and killed.

in 1987 450,000 minks died on fur farms from heat exhaustion.

1 ton of recycled paper saves 17 trees, 7,000 gallons of water, and enough energy to heat the average home for 6 months.

enough wood and paper is thrown away each year in america to heat 1 billion houses for a year.

six times more jobs are created by recycling as by landfill operations.

the amount of money spent on trash disposal in american schools is equal to that spent on new textbooks.

out of every $10 that americans spend on food, $1 pays for packaging.

65% of garbage in the u.s. is packaging.

50% of all trash thrown away could be recycled into new products.

500 new dumps are built each year in the united states.

over 1 billion trees are used to make disposable diapers every year.

americans throw away 20 billion disposable diapers each year.

americans dump the equivalent of 21 million shopping bags full of food into landfilIs every year.

2.5 billion batteries are thrown away each year by americans.

over 700,000 tons of hazardous waste is produced in the u.s. every day.

americans throw away 10 million cigarette lighters every week.

500,000 people die of cigarette related diseases in the u.s. each year.

pesticides that are banned in the u.s. (such as ddt) are regularly sold to 3rd world countries.

90% of all food borne pesticides are found in meat and dairy products.

10% of nursing mothers who were vegetarians had ddt in their breast milk.

90% of nursing mothers who were meat eaters had ddt in their breast milk.

in 1945, before widespread pesticide use, u.s. corn growers lost 3% of their crop to insects. last year they lost over 12%.

74 different kinds of pesticides have been found in drinking water.

over 100 chemical contaminants have been found in the breast milk of nursing mothers in the u.s.

of the 34 chemicals most widely used on lawns, 25% are widely believed to cause birth defects, genetic mutation, and cancer.

americans spend 6 billion dollars on their lawns each year.

25% of u.s. nuclear reactors would not be able to contain a core breach meltdown.

a 1985 study predicted a 5% chance of core breach meltdown in the u.s. before 2005.

in 1992 430,000 people in the world died from cancers resulting from nuclear testing radiation.

more money is spent in the u.s. on nuclear weaponry in one year than was spent on housing from 1980-1992.

to date, cleaning up storage facilities for nuclear debris has cost taxpayers 200 billion dollars.

in 1989 the u.s. military used 200 billion barrels of oil, enough to keep all american public transit systems running for 22 years.

1 ton of toxic waste is produced by the u.s. military every minute.

www.moby-online.com...

From the album EVERYTHING IS WRONG 1995

Not much for me to comment on this,...except I am not suprised,..

....and now that were almost at 2004,
I wonder about the current numbers and statistics?!

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I was very interested until I got to the

an acre can produce 165 lbs of beef...

excuse me?

I have to confess, I didn't read much past that.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Smirkley Great post

To all the vegans out there keep it up.

I for one though eat meat, but only once a week. I think that cows were meant to eat though, seeing as they have all those stomachs and just sit around and eat grass all day

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Today's efficient cattle gain approximately 1.7 kg per day with steers averaging about 590 kg live weight and heifers 550 kg.

cattle.guelph.on.ca...

Land Requirements For Today's Feedlot Performance
Pounds Feed Per Pound Gain (live weight)

Acres Required (1950 Yield-at 48.8 bushels/acre) 1.80 (@10) - 0.91 (@5)

Acres Required (2000 Yield-at 112.6 bushels/acre) 0.80 (@10) - 0.40 (@5)

Estimated daily gain 30 to 40 years ago was 1.5 to 2.0 (.72 kilograms) pounds per day. Current estimates of 3.0 pounds per day show dramatic improvement in efficiency of gain, fewer days in the feedlot or on feed and thus less impact on the environment.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Eat Beef.................!
How dare you.
Deep

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Who cares if someone eats meat or smokes and is more at risk for disease, the world is overpopulated so its not a big deal when people set themselves up for a shorter life. I say pass the steak sauce!
Human impact on the enviroment is significant and the individual should try to make a difference, 1 person cant make much a difference, but a few billion can. The problem with pollution and controlling it is the price tag. We can get clean energy if we are willing to pay huge amounts for electricity and drive electric cars. Society is not ready to take that step and wont unless it gets so bad they have no choice.
As for all the species we are killing I am suprised that the dolphins havent revolted against us. It makes me wonder of any organisms have evolved to thrive off all our waste. I would bet that many have.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:23 PM
link   
o my goodness this will make me stop eating beef. wait no it wont. i love beef and i aint stoppin. you didnt say anything bout piggies? i also like pork. i say the only solution is america kills everyone else on the planet and uses their country as a dump. that way i will be long dead by the time the trash starts to fill up.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:31 PM
link   
There are a bunch of wild boar in my area and from time to time I have take a rifle out there and "even out the numbers" lol. Wild boar is so good.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:33 PM
link   
how good? i aint never tried none of that. why dont you send me over some. my grandmother worked in a chicken factory type deal and she no longer eats chicken. but my mother worked at mcdonalds and she no longer eats mcdonalds.

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is so said I almost started to cry.
It saddens me to see humanity kill its self and take everything with it.
Ya, we are the greatest species

-Dagger

posted on Oct, 28 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Hmmm could this person be an environmentalist? Na couldn�t be. There is a reason why all the meat-processing factories in the U.S. are in the middle of nowhere.

I personally worked in a meat-processing factory I worked at a place called IBP Inc. I worked on the Ham Line. My job was to box & package various ham products. I later was trained for quality control. A week into the training I left my job to move back home. I of course went throughout the factory. I went to go check out the �Kill Floor�. Where they, as you guessed they killed pigs. On an average day there was 14,000 pigs killed a day in our factory alone.

My job at this factory was somewhat of a numbing experience. I soon forgot I was handling a live thing once. I would joke around, saying if the people killing the pigs didn�t have their current job they would be the serial killers in this town.

Driving anywhere almost in the town you can smell the smell of dead pigs. Driving by the kill floor you could hear pigs squealing. For a while when I drove by the kill floor it caused me to gag nearly. As with many things in this life you adapt somewhat. Or you block out things that are disturbing.

They would bring the pigs in by the truckload. These pigs would be no more then 18 months. But they would be over 400 pounds. There skin was white because they have never seen the light of day. They were grown indoors. The only time they saw the sun was when they were loading into what I affectionately named the death trucks.

After about ten months in this facility, I couldn�t continue my job at IBP. I quit my job and moved back home to California.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I don't eat meat. I'm not like some preaching vegetarian type I just don't need to kill other creatures to survive. That is a satisfying thing to be able so say. Good karma. Those statistics were just saddening. Why do the powers that be need to # up our world so much?

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Sorry man, I love steak too much.

I am an omnivore.

this thread made me hungry.

[Edited on 29-10-2003 by Lysergic]

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 02:51 AM
link   
have a winge you #in greeny #

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:06 AM
link   
sound's like that list was written by some peta finatic..

we have teeth that are made for eating meat..

we are suppost to eat a good level of both meat and vegetables.. more veg than meet obviously but still.. i dont eat beef anyway.. i only like pork, chicken, duck..

id like to see some of these devout eating meat is cruel people survive in the wilderness without eating meat..

and if they want to get philosophical..

did that site tell you how many animals die per year, after getting chopped up and sliced making grain?

yes mr combined harvester just took rodger rabbits head off!!

..plants are alive too, sure they dont move about..and they generally dont exhibit signs of inteligence..

but they bleed when you cut them..sap leaks
they reproduce..
they grow...
they move ( not all plants just some ala venus fly trap ect ect)
they breathe
they die

you could argue some plants have more inteligence, than say something like a pigeon..

sure plants dont have visible organs such as a heart..

but i certainly think a 200 year old tree is far more important than a 6 month old chicken..

does anybody get what i am saying or am i talking #?

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
all life is sacred.. but life is about survival...

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
wow that is crazy Bladerunner i just talked about my teeth in chat about 10 mins ago.

exactly if I wasn't mean to be an omnivore, explain my teeth.

animals eat eachother, are we not animals?

or do we have to pretend we are above it all?

[Edited on 29-10-2003 by Lysergic]

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:36 AM
link   
my view is, like many native american cultures is that we do need to eat meat but when hunting and killing animals we should treat them with respect, beg/pray for forgiveness before killing them(or after, not sure) and not waste any of the animal(use left over bones, skin, flesh etc for helping grow fruits, vegitables, for pet food, medicne, etc).

the way we do it is what is wrong but not the fact we eat meat, meat is needed, meat that isnt full of vitamins, drugs, anti-biotics, pesticides and who knows what else is put into meat, the same for anything we eat.

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I'd love to have my own cattle.

I don't like the fact they add stuff to it.

but i still love the taste of steak

I go deer hunting and I use all the meat, keep the horns, and fur. bones.. I am not sure what I could do with them....

other than give them to a dog perhaps..

a friend of the family Mac, is an indian he makes pate *sp? out of the deer liver..

I on the other hand refuse to eat organs.
and you can never get me to eat the brain of an animal

Thats dangerous, the brain contains Pirons...

posted on Oct, 29 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dagger
This is so said I almost started to cry.
It saddens me to see humanity kill its self and take everything with it.
Ya, we are the greatest species

-Dagger

What other options do you got? Become a monkey?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join