It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Israel ever offered to BUY the Golan Heights from Lebanon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
In the 1700's and 1800's, it wasn't uncommon for countries to purchase territory from each other, when it suited their purposes. Though it might at first not seem like any nation would want to let go of any land they have in their possession, often countries would sell outlying territories to other countries who wanted them... for the right price, of course.

So, my question is... If Israel offered to BUY the Golan Heights from Lebanon, is there a price that Lebanon could accept? (I was thinking of this BEFORE Israel invaded Lebanon, again... so who knows now.) I know that Israel desires to keep the Golan Heights because it allows them to protect the rest of Israel from attack from higher positions, literally.

I was just thinking of this as one possible way to solve some of the border problems around the world, such as around Israel, or where India, Pakistan, and China all meet in Kashmir.

This might be even less realistic, but, for the sake of brainstorming any peaceful solution we can, let's say that Israel made the Palestinians an offer. The 'West Bank' would be reconized as the independent nation of Palestine, as long as Palestine allowed Israel to BUY the Gaza Strip from the Palestinians. Then, Israel's borders could finally be permanantly set, Palestine would exist as a country, and (in theory, anyway) we could finally start getting along.

Am I just being too idealistic? Why don't countries offer to buy territory from each other anymore?

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
First of all the Golan Heights used to belong to Syria, not Lebanon.

Anyway, I'm sure Israel would be happy to give the area back to Syria for assurance of peace, but it seems that never really works out :shk:

join