It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Trade Talks Fail!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Trade wars could be the result of breakdown in talks aimed at pulling millions out of poverty. The lack of precise information on exactly why the talks failed would suggest that the poorer nations are asking more than the richer nations are willing to give.

news.independent.co.uk
The world was on the brink of a fresh outbreak of trade wars and protectionism yesterday after five years of fraught negotiation over a new trade deal ended in failure.

Hopes that a new agreement would create $300bn (£162bn) of wealth and drag millions of people out of poverty were in tatters after a meeting of the major powers dissolved into bitter acrimony. Last-ditch talks between the six most powerful trading blocs collapsed after they failed to strike a deal to slash farm subsidies, the issue that has threatened to sink the talks since they were launched in 2001.

The failure opens the way to an increase in trade wars and protectionism that will slow economic growth and worsen global poverty, experts said. It will also trigger a fresh round of bilateral trade deals that would favour rich countries at the expense of small nations. The talks were launched in November 2001 in the Qatari capital of Doha, that gave its name to the negotiations. They missed an initial 2004 deadline after a summit in Mexico in 2003 collapsed in similar scenes of blame and name-calling.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The fact that the U.S. will not budge on the farm subsidies is an indicator that the cutting of farm subsidies could adversely affect our economy and could be the reason for the unwillingness on the part of the U.S. to give in to the proposal.

July 2006: Six key countries gather at the WTO's headquarters in Geneva for first of series of meetings. Talks finally fail after just 14 hours.

[edit on 24/7/2006 by Mirthful Me]

[edit on 24-7-2006 by the_sentinal]www.stuff.co.nz...

[edit on 24-7-2006 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Some of the farmers in my area live in mansions they are clearly making huge amounts of money mayby cutting farm subsidies wouldnt hurt as bad as we think???

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
On the other hand most farmers near me certainly are not living in mansions. I'd say that although you'll meet a few rich farmers out there, most of them seem like they could be effected. Now I don't know much about farm subsidies, but I do know that farming isn't as lucritive as many would think. Not to mention extremely hard work.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Nice post sentinal, most people don't realize the full implications these trade negotiations have on the developing world. If anyone is interested in a complete background on the global economic order and the anti-globalization movement here is an excellent site:

www.global-liberation.com

-raven

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
You can go into the whole economic consequences, but the primary reason for promoting is not purely economic. The whole current free trade regime was established after World War II to encourage interdepency, and cross-country ties to prevent World War III.

Is the failure to advance trade policy the predecessor of more wars? After the failure of advancing new trade treaties, there is the underlying threat the world could retreat into protectionism. A confluence of forces seem to be converging to oppose greater international trade.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by crontab
You can go into the whole economic consequences, but the primary reason for promoting is not purely economic. The whole current free trade regime was established after World War II to encourage interdepency, and cross-country ties to prevent World War III.

Is the failure to advance trade policy the predecessor of more wars? After the failure of advancing new trade treaties, there is the underlying threat the world could retreat into protectionism. A confluence of forces seem to be converging to oppose greater international trade.

you've touched on something that I believe will affect the U.S. more than people would be willing to admit and that is that trade policy is the predecessor of more wars and we could see a backlash from the countries who dissagree with our stand on this issue.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   

The fact that the U.S. will not budge on the farm subsidies is an indicator that the cutting of farm subsidies could adversely affect our economy and could be the reason for the unwillingness on the part of the U.S. to give in to the proposal.

Free Trade indeed... why don't we all give up this rediculous pretense of some unified, free, laisse faire economic zone some peopel want to setup. The costs are just too great and many people just don't think it's worth it anymore. Fair trade I always give the thumbs up too. Free trade I will always remain wary of because it lets the darker and greedier sides of Humanity to pretty much get away with anything.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Free Trade indeed... why don't we all give up this rediculous pretense of some unified, free, laisse faire economic zone some peopel want to setup.

...Fair trade I always give the thumbs up too. Free trade I will always remain wary of because it lets the darker and greedier sides of Humanity to pretty much get away with anything.

That about sums it up IMO.

But this one:

The whole current free trade regime was established after World War II to encourage interdepency, and cross-country ties to prevent World War III.

Wanna buy a bridge? ...fyi - making a country fair game for corporate colonization does NOT prevent war. It encourages terrorism.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Yeah, all this free trade stuff has a pretty clear track record, and I'd look at it before eating up all this b.s. that they're obviously going to tell you to try and sell it. All this is, is giving huge, international corporations more power over democratic governments.

new topics

top topics

join