It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Iron Man:' Your Official Information On The Upcoming Live-Action Movie...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

'Iron Man:' Your Official Information On The Upcoming Live-Action Movie...

What We Know...

The Director:

The director is Jon Favreau. Favreau directed such movies as:

'John Carter of Mars' (2006) (pre-production)...

'Zathura: A Space Adventure' (2005)...

'Elf' (2003)...

'Made' (2001)...

For a complete look at Jon Favreau, please see Jon Favreau (IMDB)...

The Release Date:

As the teaser poster (above) states, the movie will "launch" on May 2nd, 2008.

The Villain:

On July 22nd 2006, Jon Favreau announced that the villain in 'Iron Man' will be "Mandarin."

Who Is "Mandarin?"

The Mandarin's father was one of the wealthiest men in pre-revolutionary mainland China (who claimed to be a direct descendant of Genghis Khan), and his mother was an English noblewoman. Both died soon after their son's birth, and he was raised by his father's sister, who was embittered against the world and raised him with much the same attitude. He displayed scientific aptitude at an early age and used his inheritance for education in various sciences in China and abroad. As an adult he became a high government official, or mandarin, and became renowned throughout China for his administrative brilliance.

However, with the success of mainland China's Communist revolution, the Mandarin was deprived of his position, his palace and his wealth. Hoping to find a means of restoring himself to a position of power, the Mandarin explored the forbidden "Valley of Spirits," where no one had dared set foot for centuries. There he found the skeleton and starship of Axonn-Karr, an intelligent dragon-like alien from the planet Maklu-4, who had come to Earth centuries ago and died. Over the following years, the Mandarin studied Makluan science until he had mastered it. He also learned how to use the ten rings he found within the starship which were apparently its propulsion source, among other things. The Mandarin then subjugated the villages around the Valley, and, through his super-science, rapidly became a power that not even the Chinese Army could successfully challenge. He then embarked on a long series of attempts to achieve world domination.

For a complete look at "Mandarin," please see Mandarin (wiki)...

Information On "Iron Man" From the Comics...

Tony Stark enters the undergraduate engineering program at MIT while only 15 years old and graduates at the top of his class. When he was 21, he inherits his father's company, Stark Industries, after his parents are killed in a car accident. One of the first things Stark does is to buy out the company that made the faulty brakes on his parent's car and correct the mechanical problem.

While on a visit to Vietnam to see how his new mini-transistors could assist the American war effort, Stark is caught in a booby trap. Captured by a Vietnamese warlord named Wong Chu, and dying from a piece of shrapnel lodged in his heart from the booby trap, Stark is pressed into building weapons for Wong Chu, along with a fellow prisoner, the famed physicist Yin Sen (later called Ho Yinsen). However, Stark and Yin Sen use the workshop to secretly design and construct a suit of powered armor — an iron exoskeleton that gives Stark tremendous strength as well as other abilities — that will not only keep Stark's heart beating, but also allow him to escape. Yin Sen sacrifices himself to buy Stark time to charge the bulky suit of armor, and as Iron Man, Stark makes short work of Wong Chu and his men. On the way back, Iron Man encounters a wounded American Air Force helicopter pilot, Jim Rhodes. Introducing himself as Stark's bodyguard, Iron Man and Rhodes manage to defend themselves against the pursuing North Vietnamese before making it back to American lines. On his return to the US, Stark continues to improve the armor, establishing a dual identity as the adventurer and superhero Iron Man. He also greatly expands his father's company, Stark Industries, eventually renaming it Stark International.

For a complete look at "Iron Man," please see Iron Man (wiki)

What Will "Iron Man" Look Like?

A bit of the answer may lay in the teaser poster. We only have a bit of the answer because Favreau said that the armor in the poster was not the film's final design.

Who Will Screen-write The Film?

As of now, there are two current screenwriting teams working on seperate drafts for the script. Arthur Marcum and Matthew Hollaway are one of these teams and Mark Fergus and Hawk Otsby is the other.

When Will Filming Start?

Based on what Jon Favreau said, filming for 'Iron Man' will begin in February.

Who Will Play "Iron Man?"

Jon Favreau stated that he wants an actor with experience, but not well known to the general public. To quote his exact words, he wants an actor with "a low profile."

What Characters From The Comic Will Be In The Film?

Both "Pepper Potts," who is Stark's secretary, and "Jim Rhodes," also known as "War Machine," have been confirmed to be in the film. No casting has begun for them yet. It should also be understood that it is not known if the War Machine side of Rhodes will be introduced in this film. Additionally, a love interest for the film is being considered.

Who Is "War Machine?"

James Rupert Rhodes first met billionaire industrialist Tony Stark while flying combat missions in Vietnam. Rhodes' helicopter had been shot down by Viet Cong rocket fire, and while trying to get the aircraft airborne again, he encountered Stark, who had just escaped from the prison camp of the Vietnamese warlord Wong Chu in a bulky prototype suit of powered armor. At that moment the Viet Cong attacked, and Stark, in his suit, helped to drive them off. Together, Rhodes and Stark made their way to a nearby enemy base where they stole another helicopter, flying it back to the American lines.

After the end of the Vietnam War, Stark, who had secretly become the superhero named Iron Man, offered Rhodes a job as his personal pilot, and Rhodes soon became one of Stark's closest associates and confidants as well as Stark Industries' chief aviation officer. As a result, he had numerous adventures with his employer where his daring and skills were valuable assets.

For more information on James Rupert Rhodes and his transformation into "War Machine," please see War Machine (wiki)

What Types Of Suits Will Be In The Film?

Thus far, the gray suit will be the first suit Stark creates and soon dons, staying true to the character's first appearance. Then he will slowly work his way to a more "modernized" appearance. In between the creation of the different armors, we may see more variations.

Will There Be Much Flying In The Film?

Yes. There will be a lot of flying scenes in the film. Additionally, the repulsor rays will make their debut from the comics to film. It is being said that the repulsor rays play a huge part in the script.

How Will Stark Be Injured (As In The Comics)?

Favreau mentioned was that Stark would most likely be injured while in Afghanistan.

Will The Alcoholism Be Introduced In The Film?

No. Favreau first desires to introduce the character properly. However, he hinted that it might be best explored in a possible sequel. Here are his exact views on the subject:

"The alcoholism doesn't come into play until later on in the story of Iron Man," he said. "[The comic] started off in the '60s, where it was about him as a successful manufacturer who developed this suit. Then, later, it spins off into that story about him fighting against himself. I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

The Purpose Of This Thread...

The purpose of this thread is to get as much of the official information on 'Iron Man' as possible and to put it all into this thread. As stated before, there is only a very little amount of official information available. That is why speculation and rumors will be allowed on this thread. If you want to post a rumor (anything that is not official), please just state that it is such so that this thread does not get confusing to readers.

ENJOY THE NEWS!!!

[edit on 23-7-2006 by they see ALL]

[edit on 23-7-2006 by they see ALL]

[edit on 26/7/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
here is a way better version of the poster:

just remember that the armor in the picture in not the final design...

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
here is an interview with the director of 'iron man' (jon favreau):

link...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Ain't-It-Cool-News is reporting that Terrence Howard has been offered a role in Iron Man.

So, that's the word. Terrence Howard has been offered the role of James Rhodes in the IRON MAN film. No guarantee he'll take it, but I think Howard is one of the most interesting actors working in the business today and his presence in the film will only make it better.

[edit on 1/8/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Check this out.

screenrant.com...

There are three images that are being claimed to be rejcted armor concepts.

These were designed/rendered by Brandon Perlow who has done TV and movie computer effects work. Brandon met with visual effects supervisor John Nelson who said that although he liked the design and that in some cases it paralleled what they were doing, it did not fit in with their overall direction. They're wanting to go in more of an Adi Granov design direction. It will be interesting to see how the final concept measures up to these.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Check this out.

screenrant.com...

There are three images that are being claimed to be rejcted armor concepts.

i can see why they were rejected

they look gross :bash:

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yeah.

The head really bothers me.

posted on Sep, 16 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Dear God please don't let them ruin this character. I trust Marvel and know that they have a good track record.

I for the record liked the Hulk movie.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
OMG

who da hell is that guy no no
is he suppose to be playing one of ironmans buddy's
thats going to far back

if they're gonna go into his past like that shiiiiiiissshhh do it like ultimate ironman atleast

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Robert Downey Jr. is Cast as Iron Man

today.reuters.com...

Robert Downey Jr. -- I am "Iron Man"

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Robert Downey, Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," a superhero movie based on the Marvel Comics character.

Jon Favreau is directing the Paramount Pictures release. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This...is...huge...

[edit on 29/9/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by corsig
I for the record liked the Hulk movie.

I CAST THEE OUT!!!

My favourite armour is the one currently in The Ultimates. It looks more modern than the original, but keeps all of the important characteristics.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I've put together something of a beginners guide to Iron Man.

Iron Man Primer.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I've put together something of a beginners guide to Iron Man.

Iron Man Primer.

hey, guess what???

i am going to need to read this...

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Gwyneth Paltrow has been added to the cast.

Gwyneth Paltrow to Play Tony Stark's Secretary.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   
This movie is definately my "Most Anticipated Movie" EVER! Thanks for all the Info!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Sure he has the smart, rich guy look. But couldn't he just be a lab assistant who accidently gets blown up near the begining of the film?

The guys a crack head. About 3 feet tall, and should only play roles were he has purple highlights, or is a chick flick. Plus I thought they were looking for a unknown like the new Superman.

He's going to ruin the film into another man of steel. Why didn't they just hire Shaq and bring the cheese level to maximum

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
oh come on now, who better to play rich alchoholic? I mean the part was practically created for him.

The only thing he needs now is the mustache.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
"i can see why they were rejected

they look gross"

Those versions of the armor actually look very true to what the armor might look like in real life. I'm a big fan of them. I agree that the helmet looks a bit too bulky in a couple of the designs, but the rest looks great in my opinion. I just hope that they don't portray Iron Man in the movie as being slow and clunky. He's actually quite quick and nimble.

[edit on 1-3-2007 by Stark]

[edit on 1-3-2007 by Stark]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join