It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the top news story before 9/11?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
From 1980 - 2000, during those two decades, what did you consider to be the most newsworthy and profound event that was covered heavily by the news media?

I think we can all agree on two things, that 9/11 rewrote the book on "newsworthy" and how to cover such big-time stories, and that from 1980 - 1990, there was, with maybe a few exceptions (such as the Challenger disaster, the Berlin Wall, and the Persian Gulf War), nothing that approached the scale of 9/11, Iraq, and now the Middle East. However, I may be hopelessly wrong on that.

I am inviting all, specifically members of the Baby Boomers and Generation X to come here and post what you believe was the top news story before 9/11 blasted the concept open.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The berlin wall was pretty big. In many ways, it was bigger than any of this. The Soviet Union had been America's big enemy, and then they collapsed.

Also, are you forgetting the 90's? The internet took off, and everyone was starting dot-coms, and gettings millions in capital for some of the craziest ideas. The stock market had one of the greatest bull marktets ever. Also, don't forget Y2K.

There were also other things that happened. The first world trade center bombing occurred in 1993. The Oklohoma city federal building was bombed. The ruby ridge standoff ocurred with the FBI. In 1998, the Asian economies suffered one of their greatests financial crises. After the 1980's boom, Japan's economy suffered a long recession, which it is only now getting out of.

The US also did have wars. Recall, NATO bombed Kosovo, and got involved in all the Balkan troubles. Clinton did bomb Iraq. Israel appeared like it might actually make peace with the Palestinians.

A lot happened in the 90's. I remember thinking, and other may have as well around '99, that politics was irrelevant. New technologies and entrepeneurship along with globalization were supposed to make older economic systems obsolete. There seemed to be no end to opportunities in an endlessly booming economy with endless sources of innovation.

Since September 11th, I think the mood of the world has changed to one of fear. It has become characterized by war, recession, terrorism. Now, the mantra is that jobs are all being outsourced, and America is supposedly in decline as a great power.

However, I think all of these mythos did quite bear total resemblence to reality. Has the world really changed that much since September 11th. Many things just go in cycles. Some things become more prominent because of changing elite interests or other trends. How much of this is controlled by elites, and how much evolves naturally?

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Take a look at those events you put up.

None of those events dominated the news in ways 9/11 and other large-scale disasters did.

Yes, those were all big events, but the news media did not hit the jackpot with them.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The US Government's invasion on a small group of people and the death of 80 or so for those people in fire.

WACO!

Roper

[edit on 24-7-2006 by Roper]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Take a look at those events you put up.

None of those events dominated the news in ways 9/11 and other large-scale disasters did.

Yes, those were all big events, but the news media did not hit the jackpot with them.

The events before 9/11 did not involve the murder of thousands of Americans during a time span of only a few dozen minutes at the hands of terrorist. It was as close to an act of war declared on the U.S. since Pearl Harbor, and in fact the U.S. declared and went to war against the Taliban.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nogirt

The events before 9/11 did not involve the murder of thousands of Americans during a time span of only a few dozen minutes at the hands of terrorist. It was as close to an act of war declared on the U.S. since Pearl Harbor, and in fact the U.S. declared and went to war against the Taliban.

So nogirt, there was a formal declaration of war on the Taliban, I missed it.

Roper, Yep, the government declaring war on the Branch Dividians at Waco was HUGE.

Another 2 stories that lasted forever was Jon Benet Ramasy and OJ. Trivial stuff but perfect for the tabloid MSM.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The FBI said there was insufficient evidence to link Bin Laden to the 9/11 attacks, this
is the reason why he is not listed as 'Wanted' for these attacks on WTC etc.
But, wait a minute, if they didnt have sufficient evidence to link him then why
did they invade Afghanistan to "smoke him out of his cave"?
Oops!

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

So nogirt, there was a formal declaration of war on the Taliban, I missed it.[/qoute]

No. Not to my understanding.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   
1980-2001:

1. Challenger disaster
2. Desert Storm
3. Berlin Wall coming down
4. The Waco Catastrophe
5. Alfred P. Murrah Bombing
6. "Clinton got a hummer"
7. Columbine

YES - several of these got the level of news coverage you have seen since 9/11. You either weren't old enough to remember, or you've let recent events shadow that fact. The "drama" of news and the turn to "making news instead of reporting news" happened in the 90's...not since 2001.

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The Murrah building would still be standing if not for Waco. It's also very possible that Columbine would not have happened.

Roper

posted on Jul, 29 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
YES - several of these got the level of news coverage you have seen since 9/11. You either weren't old enough to remember, or you've let recent events shadow that fact. The "drama" of news and the turn to "making news instead of reporting news" happened in the 90's...not since 2001.

What are you talking about? Were you referring to me or a different post? I never contradicted what you just wrote.

If you need to, read my opening post again carefully. I have no idea where you're coming from.

[edit on 29-7-2006 by sweatmonicaIdo]

new topics

top topics

join