It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Appalled by Beirut Devastation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The U.N's Emergency Relief Chief arrived in Beirut annd called the destruction in Beirut horrific. He has asked both sides to halt their attacks so the U.N. could have safe access so that the U.N. can safely bring humanitarian aide supplies into Beirut.

Please read both articles the main topic is different in each article.

news.bbc.co.uk
A visibly moved Mr Egeland expressed shock that "block after block" of buildings had been levelled.

He said the "disproportionate response" by Israel was a "violation of international humanitarian law".

He appealed for both sides to halt attacks and said UN supplies of humanitarian aid would begin to arrive in the next few days.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The UN is going to bring in humanitarian aid into Beirut as long as the fighting in the areas were the aid is going to stops. He also called for the release of the two captured Ireali soldiers to help end this conflict. Isreal said it will lift the its blockade of Beiruts port to let the UN bring in supplies.

Apparently the UN representative was pretty shocked after seeing blocks of buildings leveled. He also said that Isreal's "disproportionate response was a violation of International Humanitarian Law". What did he expect to find? People sitting in front of coffee shops drinking coffee. And how can you abide by International Humanitarian Law when your in a war/conflict?

Apparently the U.N. is goiing to be the negotiators to try to end the hostilities. I don't see any cease fire lasting if Hezbollah remains close to Isreal's border. I just think if Hezbollah is allowed to stay by the border with Isreal, they'll just do something stupid again and Isreal will retaliate, again. Then it will start all over again.

Related News Links:
www.ynetnews.com

[edit on 23-7-2006 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Did the UN representative say anything about Hezbollah attacking Israel and firing towards Israel more than 1000 (i think it has been about 1600) rockets into Israel?... or the fact that Hizbollah had an incursion in Israel killed 8 Israeli soldiers and kidnapped two... Did he/she say anything about that?.... I guess not huh?

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Muaddib maybe because he wasnt IN israel, he was IN beirut. I am pretty sure it said that in the article.

Other then that, war is war. I think israel should be watching their targets better considering the fact they aren't suppose to be killing lebanese people. The thing israel is guilty of is really bad aim in this war. To me that just makes them look disgraceful that they can kill bystanders but not the enemy they are trying to hit, thats just sad.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
AT WORST, those 1600 rockets have have destroyed a few feet of roads across several cities, damaged only enough buildings that you can count them on your fingers and toes, and slight damage at a train station. less than 50 Israelis have been killed, with more than half being IDF forces. I am absolutley resolute that destroying hundred and hundreds of residential complexes and apartments as well as the primary routes for evacuation are completely justified by the kidnapping of two soldiers.

Israel does indeed have a right to defend itself, I just do not remember when defending yourself meant attacking and destroying civilian residential housing all across the country and the means for refugees to evacuate safely.

Like seriously no listen here. America has managed to invade and occupy two whole nations in the last 5 years, and although many civilians have died mostly as a result of suicide and car bombers and clashes, very very few have been killed by the intentional targeting of housing and civilian housing. You do not hear aobut the US targetting residential housing all over those countries. Our proxy state needs to take a damn lesson from our own military those immoral heartless maggots.

Terrorists are obviously worse, but you have to deal with them specifically when you can. Fighting terror oes not justify the reckless and indiscriminate destruction of civilia housing and residential complexes. If one believes we should be as bad as the terrorists, then perhaps they should just go jump off a bridge while all their friends are doing it.

[edit on 7/23/2006 by DYepes]

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Muaddib maybe because he wasnt IN israel, he was IN beirut. I am pretty sure it said that in the article.

Other then that, war is war. I think israel should be watching their targets better considering the fact they aren't suppose to be killing lebanese people. The thing israel is guilty of is really bad aim in this war. To me that just makes them look disgraceful that they can kill bystanders but not the enemy they are trying to hit, thats just sad.

REPLY: Bad aim my arse. Hezbubble use civilian areas on purpose, for the "shock value" of getting civilians killed.

They had/have set up roadblocks specifically with the intent of keeping civilians from leaving the inhabited areas.

If only one of the 9-11 planes had hit the UN building, the world would soon be a better place.

[edit on 23-7-2006 by zappafan1]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Through the 70's,80's and 90's there was a group of terrorists who bombed mainland Britain killing civilians. Now according to the sentiment expressed by some here in ASTNN the British governement would have a right to defend itself. Not only that but according to them it would not be disproportionate to bomb Dublin !!!!!!! Ooops sorry I forgot the IRA were not terrorists but according to those in the US providing financial aid they were "freedom fighters".

All fighting on BOTH sides will result in civilian casualties. You cannot cherry pick a convenient date to say that the "trouble" started on this date by group abc. You have to look at the whole conflict in which case you'll have to go back at least a hundred years to when the Jewish council declared that PALESTINE would be the Jewish homeland.............they didn't ask the majority population, the palestinians, if they agreed about this though!

Let me cherry pick a date : how about 1982 the massacre at Sabra of palestinian women, children and elderly men by Phalange "fighters" under the watchful eye of the Isreali guards ensuring nobody left the camps. The Israelis bulldozed over the evidence (i.e. the bodies). How about the selective bombing of every single Beirut hospital by the Israelis at that time. Could go on and on but I won't. But don't be suprised if nobody in Southern Lebanon belives a single word the Israelis or US say. Yes the US told a few porkies at the time as well which allowed the Israelis with the help of the Phalange to massacre the unarmed palestinians.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   
300 + Ledonanese to 2 dozen or so Israeli...no comparrison.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This is hilarious. The organization that passed UN 1559, then did nothing to enforce it, is now "appalled" at what the Israeli's are doing in Lebanon.

Another fine example of the absolute worthlessness of the UN. Now, when the UN sends troops to back up their so called "resolutions" then we may be able to get somewhere.

What a joke.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
muaddib so hates Arabs and Muslims that he is incapable of understanding the difference between 8 Israeli dead and 300+ Lebonanse (mostly civilian) dead and the systematic destruction of the superstructure of Beruit. Pity.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nor do I care for either country. I do however care for the children on both sides, the young, those without sin, those who are being burned and killed because of their parents ignorance and greed.

I hope this battle/war comes to an end soon and may those who are involved on both sides, burn in the fires of hell for eternity for their blood covered hands, those hands who stole the lives of the innocent children, will most surely be punished by God for eternity no matter which side they are on...

For those who don't believe in the father, good luck.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It just doesn't seem like Hezbollah cares about the price that the Lebanese people are paying for their actions.

Monday: 81 Rockets Hit North, 50 Hurt

Some 81 rockets hit north on 13th day of war: Hizbullah continued its massive fire of rockets at northern communities Monday afternoon. Barrages were fired at Tiberias, Maalot, Nahariya, Akko and Carmiel.

If they (Hezbollah) cared about the the Lebanese people they would pull back from the border, and stop rocketing Isreal so this conflict could end and aid be brought in to help the Lebanese people.

As long as Isreal is being attacked from Hezbollah in Lebanon, Isreal will keep retaliating and innocent people will continue to suffer because of the proximity of Hezbollah to innocent Lebanese civillians.

[edit on 24-7-2006 by Keyhole]

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Meanwhile an apartment house was hit in Tyre I believe that held scores of Lebonanese civilians, women and children hiding in the basement...it collapsed on them killing and maiming dozens and Condi Rice our ineffectual sec. of state shed crocadile tears for them. I swear she is souless.

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Meanwhile an apartment house was hit in Tyre I believe that held scores of Lebonanese civilians, women and children hiding in the basement...it collapsed on them killing and maiming dozens and Condi Rice our ineffectual sec. of state shed crocadile tears for them. I swear she is souless.

It seems that we have a new record today in Qana. The number of victims is not yet known but i've seen more than 10 dead babies on TV (not more than 5 years old!!!!)

Thank you Israel for killing innocent children. The world will be a better place without them.

Thank you USA for offering the missiles and all Israel wants to let us live in a NO-CHILD-BETTER-WORLD....

Thank you UN for your silence. And when you talk thank you for supporting terrorisme(I mean the real one; the one that kills innocent people)

After Qana 1996 we have Qana 2006

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I find it ironic that the USA is taking the exact same policy towards Israel that Lebanon has taken towards Hezbollah.

Lebanon did not stop the rocket attacks. Lebanon did nothing. Nothing. It let this religious militia attack another country from inside its own borders.

Now, Lebanon is blaming the US, saying the US could force Israel to stop the attacks. Interesting, politically, now that the shoe is on the other foot, isn't it?

G.Houtchens
armchair coach
amateur historian

posted on Jul, 30 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

----------To The Lebanese People---------

Israeli armies will increase their actions of bombarding in Lebanon against the terrorist actions of Hezbollah to defend the state of Israel and its citizens.
For your own safety, wishing not to harm any civilians that are not implicated, you are advised to stay away from the locations where Hizbollah are present and acting against Israel.
This Includes:
The Locations where missiles are fired in the direction of Israel
The Locations of Hezbollah’s military equipment and arsenals
Hezbollah’s centers located in south of Beirut and other areas under its control in the south of Lebanon.
The Southern suburbs of Beirut. The location of terrorism.

The Israeli defense army calls on the Lebanese people and Lebanese army to refrain from aiding, either directly or indirectly, any Hezbollah member. Anyone who does will be putting his life in possible danger.

You should know that the continuing acts of terrorism against Israel are keeping you from living a better future.
State of Israel

If those were dropped over my neighborhood, I'd be packing up and walking north.

Away from the bombs.

muaddib so hates Arabs and Muslims that he is incapable of understanding the difference between 8 Israeli dead and 300+ Lebonanse (mostly civilian) dead and the systematic destruction of the superstructure of Beruit. Pity.

Same thing happened in Iraq. Of those 300+ Lebonanse (mostly civilian) dead, probably 80% of them were Hizbollah.

Or the result of Hizbollah hiding in the flock.

The finger can be pointed both ways here. Mauddib's "hate" for arabs and muslims doesnt overweigh your "hate" for Israel. They're both wrong.

Quit picking sides.

[edit on 7/30/2006 by QuietSoul]

new topics

top topics

join