It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomb of Alexander the Great

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Alright,
I came across an article that has been bugging me, but have been yet unable to find any follow up.

It is a unique discovery. Finding his tomb was always the

dream of everybody. But now we know where he is buried and we

have all the details," Souvaltzi told reporters at the site

where, despite skeptisism from many experts, she insists

Alexander the Great was buried.

Until now most historians had said his grave is somewhere in

the Egyptian port city he founded and which was named after him

-- Alexandria.

Source

This was an article from a newspaper in 1995. Excavations were supposed to continue after Ramadan, but apparently nothing else has been heard. Or, at least, I haven't been able to find anything. There are many historically documented accounts of Alexander's body being paraded from Babylon to Alexandria after his death, and his tomb was open for public viewing for some time after. Dignitaries came from all over just to visit it, including Julius Caesar and Caligula.
The point is, around the 3rd century a.d., Septimus Severus closed the tomb from viewing supposedly for its protection. There were many attacks on Alexandria between the first and third centuries. Caesar even burned a large portion of the Great Library to ward off a harbor attack. I suppose I could understand the concern for the body of Alexander. But would Septimus have moved the tomb to another location entirely? There have been rumors of the Pharos Lighthouse being a plausible location, but that fell into the sea in 1303. Unless, of course, the tomb site is buried somewhere in the ruins of Fort Quait Bey?
My point is, I am trying to follow up on what was, or was not discovered by these archaeologists in Al-Maraqi. You would think that if Alexander's tomb had truly been unearthed, the world would have known about it. Any help?

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I have not heard of this, but it is an interesting story. If you can find anything else about this, please post. I will do some searching as well.

posted on Jul, 25 2006 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Still hunting for that dig in 95'. I did, however, come up with an interesting piece on the prevailing theories of Alexander's resting place.
Chasing a Ghost

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Honestly, I hope that Alexander's tomb hasn't been discovered yet, but for more selfish reasons. I am currently studying to be an archaeologist, and locating Alexander's tomb is something I have always aspired for. So stay buried for at least three more years, Alexander!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by crimson616

I am currently studying to be an archaeologist, and locating Alexander's tomb is something I have always aspired for.

Well you're off to a good start, excavating this old thread LOL

With his general's splitting the empire, I'd wonder if each of them didn't covet Alexander's body for their city as a symbol they were the legit heir or true successor. Alexander believed he was a true demi-god, descendent of Heracles, he wouldn't have skimped on the tomb for himself, but then he died suddenly. Still, it's one of the great finds waiting to happen!

posted on May, 15 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Yea pretty interesting....

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Alexander the Great, whose tomb has been missing for nearly 2,000 years, could be buried in Broome in Western Australia, a Perth man says.

ABC News

A cave in Australia! Just like missing car keys...it's always the last place you think to look...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Australia is too far afield. According to ancient sources, Cleopatra and Anthony were buried near Alexander. Now... Cleopatra's palace belonged to a sector that has gradually sunk under the sea, although there is a recent discovery by a neophyte archaeologist which MAY be Cleopatra's tomb (www.chinadaily.com.cn... ).

There's a couple of maps here. Couldn't find the ones I was thinking of (may be in a book I own) of the sunken areas of Alexandria where the palaces were:
www.alexanderstomb.com...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Hiya Byrd, I posted that 'discovery' jokingly as light relief. Even Erich Von Daniken wouldn't make the claim of an Aussie cave being the missing grave of Alexander... or he just didn't think of it

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

There's a couple of maps here. Couldn't find the ones I was thinking of (may be in a book I own) of the sunken areas of Alexandria where the palaces were:

Here's a couple maps of the sunken areas based on Underwater Archeology.

Franck Goddio Society

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Byrd

Hiya Byrd, I posted that 'discovery' jokingly as light relief. Even Erich Von Daniken wouldn't make the claim of an Aussie cave being the missing grave of Alexander... or he just didn't think of it

Ya never know around these parts. (insert joking tone) And Aliens probably brought Alexander there... and left the strange rock art, too. (end joking tone)

new topics

top topics

join