It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA’s Goals Delete Mention of Home Planet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   

NASA’s Goals Delete Mention of Home Planet

From 2002 until this year, NASA’s mission statement, prominently featured in its budget and planning documents, read: “To understand and protect our home planet; to explore the universe and search for life; to inspire the next generation of explorers ... as only NASA can.”

In early February, the statement was quietly altered, with the phrase “to understand and protect our home planet” deleted. In this year’s budget and planning documents, the agency’s mission is “to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.”

David E. Steitz, a spokesman for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, said the aim was to square the statement with President Bush’s goal of pursuing human spaceflight to the Moon and Mars.

More...

Man, I just don't have enough tin-foil to comment on this one....

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This could be a change in attitude because of the Bush administrations lack of policy and concern for the environment, as NASA does normally monitor earth changes and forest shrinking with their satalites. Maybe the satalites will start ignorning the shrinking rainforest or the drastic global climate changes.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm not poo-pooing any statements concerning the current admin's lack of care for the environment, but...

with that disclaimer voiced, I'd like to say I'm glad to see this modification. NASA isn't the appropriate agency to be doing earth science. We've got NOAA and others to do that. I'd be more than happy to see NASA turn it's head AWAY from earth and think long-range. And I have no fear the other agencies could pick up the slack in the earth sciences area.

Dae

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

“To understand and protect our home planet; to explore the universe and search for life; to inspire the next generation of explorers ... as only NASA can.”

“to pioneer the future in space exploration, scientific discovery and aeronautics research.”

I reckon someone read that first one and noticed how simliar it was to the Star Trek opening credit dialogue, "These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. Her five year mission: to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life and new civilizations. To boldly go where no man has gone before."

Looks like someone figured a more scientific rewording was needed, sounds more objective than the mission statement it was before.

[edit on 27/7/06 by Dae]

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It proablly has alot to do with budget issues too.

NASA has been loosing funding forever in comparsion to other govermetn agencices.

they just need to put their money to one thing. I think it is a great idea.
THe Goverment just fears that the people might actually beat them here and get to space before them.

(meaning private space exploration)

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
i actually liked NASA's answer (they could have kept the bush connection out though)...

but i would have kept the part about "to understand and protect our home planet" because, to me, this is most important...

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Obviously, "understanding and protecting" our planet is no longer a priority.

I wonder why not? Have they given up on the earth? Why?

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I agree with Valhall. NASA was created for space exploration and that should be its main goal. There are other agencies that are sufficiently equipped to study earth. NASAs budget should be focused purely on space. Humans will need to colonize other planets if we are to explore the universe. We are going to have to stop for a piss break somewhere!

top topics

join