It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what proof is there that 'god' exists?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   
im not religious but i need to know what god there is and what proof is there? i've never been contacted by him. thre are other gods that i belive in but not the chiristian one.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Theres loads of proof, there was a book writen 40 years after some events tht are complete proof of god along with proof of a world flood water turning into wine, the world being 10,000 years old and other such things which go against the laws of nature. Just incase you havnt gathered its called the bible.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenroon
Theres loads of proof, there was a book writen 40 years after some events tht are complete proof of god along with proof of a world flood water turning into wine, the world being 10,000 years old and other such things which go against the laws of nature. Just incase you havnt gathered its called the bible.

How is that proof? The bible was written by man, man is fallable.

My question is why does someone need proof? Religion is based on faith not fact. Evolution needs proof to exist, Religion only needs you to believe.

In my opinion religion was only created as a social control, so my faith is probably not as strong as some others. But if it was, I certainly would not need proof to support my faith.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I assumed that Shenroon was being sarcastic. I think it'd be pretty sad if it wasn't. It's that "faith" thing that people put so much stock in. There is no proof 'God' exists.

posted on Jul, 23 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

My question is why does someone need proof? Religion is based on faith not fact. Evolution needs proof to exist, Religion only needs you to believe.

In my opinion religion was only created as a social control, so my faith is probably not as strong as some others. But if it was, I certainly would not need proof to support my faith.

Yeah sorry you seemed confused I was being completly sarcastic, I thought thatw as pretty obvious guess I was wrong.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
There is NO proof that a higher power exists and nor do I think that a higher power exists . The concept of god has been used as the core of a method to controll masses and hold society back.
Cheers xpert11.

[edit on 24-7-2006 by xpert11]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
People have argued over this for ages and in truth there is no proof that God exists, neither there is proof that He does not exist.

In making your mind up do remember that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Best advice I can give is: doubt everything, find your own Light.
It's harder but in the end you waste less time.

Osbert+

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well its pretty hard to find somehting that deostn exist sadly especially when that soemthign cant be seen and is just energy flying around,
so i say the onyl proof there sint a god is there is no proof there is.:w:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There is a God, my favorite black cat came home after being gone four days. :lol

Other than that I don't know how one would prove it.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

The Bible wasn't necessarily "written" by man. It was notated by man, but they were not "Man's words".
Also, I've never seen anything to prove the Bible is Fallible.
I've read all the examples people have tried to come up with, saying the Bible has contradictions, but those "contradictions" are nothing more than people not reading the full context of the scripture. OR, only reading a particular verse, & disregarding the accompanying verses, which would explain what is being said.
So all of these claims of the Bible being incosistent, or contradictory, are incorrect.

So is there "prrof" God exsists?

Personally, I say YES. You have his word (The Bible) And his creation, which is the universe, & everything in it.

It DOES take faith as well. I agree.

Hebrews 11:1 - "Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for. The eveidence of things not seen"

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The bible isnt fallible, hmmmm i know the world flood matter form nothing thats all completly true isnt it

(just in case you dont realise im being sarcastic again, im so sadistic)

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Never caught the sarcasm in your initial post.

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   

god (gŏd)
n.
God
A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
An image of a supernatural being; an idol.
One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed: Money was their god.
A very handsome man.
A powerful ruler or despot.
[Middle English, from Old English.]

SOurce and definition's (Man's depiction for definition's)
www.answers.com...&r=67

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Okay. Start with the fact that there is no God. Now, how does the argument continue? After all, what proof does ANYONE have of the beginning of time and what may have existed before it? And remember, no spilling ideas here. Just the facts, just the proof. It seems to me that if you use science to explain the world while allowing the POSSIBILITY of God, then progress can be made. If you simply choose to use science as a platform, you must first prove the absolute foundations. If this cannot be done, then all subsequent arguments are nothing more than faith.If you ask me, starting with the idea that there is no God is like closing your eyes just before you are about to analyze a painting for cryptic clues.,... just a thought...

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberfenix
Okay. Start with the fact that there is no God. Now, how does the argument continue? After all, what proof does ANYONE have of the beginning of time and what may have existed before it? And remember, no spilling ideas here. Just the facts, just the proof. It seems to me that if you use science to explain the world while allowing the POSSIBILITY of God, then progress can be made. If you simply choose to use science as a platform, you must first prove the absolute foundations. If this cannot be done, then all subsequent arguments are nothing more than faith.If you ask me, starting with the idea that there is no God is like closing your eyes just before you are about to analyze a painting for cryptic clues.,... just a thought...

1st of all, in our modern day & age, we may not have the "proof" so to speak, to say "for sure" either way.
BUT.... it's really a much tougher argument trying to DISPROVE God's existence, than to PROVE it.

Here's the thing.... Everyone wants the believers to "prove God exists". However, Us believers never ask you to disprove God.
SO..... here's YOUR CHANCE!

Prove to ME that God DOESN'T exsist...... (good luck by the way)

& NO, I don't want to hear the same old LAME lame theories, or re-hashed opinions that I've already heard HERE & elsewhere!!

Here's something to think about though......
If you look at the deep mathematical, scientific formulas that are in EVERYTHING in the universe, (many of which are STILL unexplained to this day) that's more proof of intelligent design, with a purpose, than the proverbial "big bang theory" can account for.

So how can you (convincingly) DISPROVE God's existence??
THAT should be the REAL QUESTION.

Nobody yet has had sufficient "evidence" to make me believe otherwise.
What can you bring to the plate?

[edit on 24-7-2006 by marko1970]

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
So what is God?
It's a concept. a perception.
Look at you
Look at me.
We're all part of the Universe. Part of the 'energy'.
Everything in the Universe exudes this 'energy'.
The sum of all this 'energy' creates a 'force' field unimaginable in its immensity.
We're part of this immensity.
We are therefore a part of 'God'.

This immensity we have given a name.
And that is 'God'.

So God isn't a gentleman sitting in his formals, on a throne in 'Heaven'.

And most of all, we cannot perceive this concept in our present dimension. Its like a worm trying to understand the Theory of Relativity.

Suffice to know that there is a an infinite 'Force', an 'Energy' of which we are a part.

[edit on 25-7-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The only proof of something not existing is that there is no proof, the big bang has been calculated a million times using supercomputers and using the correct parameters they normally come to rouhly what our universe is today. There is no 'proof' of intelligent design there are theories, the original of which was disproved quite well, yet they still believe theres something there bigger than them, simple becasue if there wasnt they'd feel insignificant and worthless, so long ago before science man made everything he couldnt understand n act of god- earthquakes, meteors were angels, floods, birth itself was named god's work.

But now we know earthquakes are casued by tetonic plate movement, meteors are just heaps of rocks, floods are water and birth, well, we all know aout birth dont we.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The only proof of something not existing is that there is no proof, the big bang has been calculated a million times using supercomputers and using the correct parameters they normally come to rouhly what our universe is today. There is no 'proof' of intelligent design there are theories, the original of which was disproved quite well, yet they still believe theres something there bigger than them, simple becasue if there wasnt they'd feel insignificant and worthless, so long ago before science man made everything he couldnt understand n act of god- earthquakes, meteors were angels, floods, birth itself was named god's work.

But now we know earthquakes are casued by tetonic plate movement, meteors are just heaps of rocks, floods are water and birth, well, we all know aout birth dont we.

Here's my take,

People always say, "You can't prove God exists, so that is proof he doesn't.

Well, on the same token, "YOU can't prove God DOESN'T exsist... so THAT is proof he DOES." Until there is proof, rather than opinions & theories that God isn't real, it stands to reason that he DOES.

There are too many unexplained things that scientists are still struggling with.

Also, I haven't seen or heard anything that "disproves quite well" the intelligent design of the universe.
If you have any links concerning this, please share them, as I'd like to see 1st hand what they have to say.

If there were a "big bang", something or someone has to be responsible for it.
The universe itself is a nonliving, non-sentient collection of physical matter.
So if there was no physical matter to start from, the big bang couldn't just occur out of nowhere.
SOMEONE had to create the ingredients & the recipe to start the big bang if that's how it came to be.

Know what I mean?

[edit on 26-7-2006 by marko1970]

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Marko,
Unfortunately logic doesn't work that way. I mean, there is no proof that mermaids don't exist, however that doesn't mean that they certainly do. Logically, nothing that we can't observe in some way or another exists. I don't necessarily believe it, but there is no way to prove otherwise.

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Marko,
Unfortunately logic doesn't work that way. I mean, there is no proof that mermaids don't exist, however that doesn't mean that they certainly do. Logically, nothing that we can't observe in some way or another exists. I don't necessarily believe it, but there is no way to prove otherwise.

HAHAHA!!
Just kidding, my friend.

I see your point here. It IS one of the more valid points I might add.

That is precisely MY "argument" as well.

You can't just say, "because there is nothing to PROVE that something exsists, THAT is the proof it doesn't"

Just as for ME to say, "Since there's nothing to prove something DOESN'T exsist, is proof that it DOES", is ridiculous.

I'm saying that nobody can come up with hard evidence that God doesn't exsist.

However, there is more evidence to say that he DOES exsist, albeit it comes down to a matter of personal belief.

When you look at the Universe & especially our planet within our galaxy, the particular placement & arrangement of our solar system seems to have a purpose for being where it is. Like a delibrete chioce to be where it is.

Being on the outer edge of a spiral arm, it allows the night sky to darken enough for us to study, learn & research a vast amount of the Universe.
Had the Earth been placed in a more "populated" celestial area, we wouldn't have the same ability to study the stars & galaxies.

Also, looking at the precise distance from our sun...... it is PERFECT for sustaining physical life. If it were closer, or further away, we would have a much different planet, & most likely no physical life. (or at least not like we have now)

And why are humans the only sentient species? The only species with a conscience? We are the only living thing with the ability to reason, & weigh the options of action vs. consequence.

If life were merely a cooincidence, & everything is "evolutionary based", there should be more than humans with (somewhat) advanced intelligence.
(OK... so not ALL of us have intelligence... but stil... hahaha!)

These things do lean more toward intelligent design with a purpose, & also give more credibility to the side of "God DOES exsist".

Is it absolute proof? .......of course not.
But it's more than the "other" viewpoint can provide. (outside of the usual lame response that is generally given)

So it comes down to an individual choice as to what we believe. And whether or not you have FAITH.

Know what I mean?

*peace*

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join